Homebirth Group In NYC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-01-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I am new to mothering.com, and currently expecting #2 in January. I live in Manhattan now but we're soon moving to Park Slope. I'm planning a homebirth this time (#1 was born while I was living in Europe so totally different system).

This website has been a fabulous resource, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of a homebirth group in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I would love to connect with other moms with a similar attitude/plans towards birthing.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 PM

:

Liz, wife to John, mom to Dylan and my giant slug zocha :
#3 of 18 Old 07-02-2009, 12:09 PM

Hi,
I live in PSlope and had a homebirth about 11 months ago. I don't know of any such a group except for the homebirth class with Natashia Fuksman. I'm friends with quite a few of the moms from the homebirth class I was in. I find it hard enough to find and meet moms in the neighborhood but I do know there are more home birthers than you would think.

Are you looking for a social home birth group or a home birth class?

Enjoy your upcoming birth!

Baby wearing Mamma to DS, dealing with all his allergies....and thriving w/another little bundle due in Early Feb
#4 of 18 Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 AM

I don't know of any group that exists like this (although it would be nice! Perhapds we should make one!). I also had a homebirth in Brooklyn, a couple years ago now. If you have quetions about midwives (in Park Slope, you are surrounded by them) or classes (Natashia is wonderful), I am sure we can all help hook you up!

Congrats!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#5 of 18 Old 07-03-2009, 07:29 PM

Many of the women in the local API and babywearing groups have had homebirths, though of course that isn't the main focus of those groups.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/API-NYC/
http://www.slingsinthecity.com/forum
#6 of 18 Old 07-04-2009, 05:01 AM

Don't know of a group like this but think you could definitely have some interest if you started one, especially in B'lyn. I'm in Queens and birthed with Kristen Leonard last year. It was the best! I found the Homebirth board under Pregnancy; Birth and Beyond here at MDC essential to my planning and preparation. Support, tips and tricks and referrals to doulas/midwives/classes etc. were available both here and on the homebirth board. I also belonged to a due date club that was great for general support. What would I have done without MDC??

mom to DD and one on the way, wife since 1997 to a great guy

#7 of 18 Old 07-05-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for this information, everyone. So far, I have hired Joan Bryson to be my midwife and had one conversation with Sarah Pancake to be my doula. Looking around this board and elsewhere they both seem highly recommended. Its a lot of support, but I want to give myself the best chance of this working out.

I will definitely look into the class you mention; I was looking mostly to meet other people who have/are planning to do this to share tips and stories. I'll also definitely check out the homebirth board here regularly.

It would be great to start a local homebirth group, though. I found one website for homebirthers of New York but I don't think they are active. Hoping to be one of you all in 6 months!
#8 of 18 Old 07-06-2009, 06:15 PM

I also am in Brooklyn and will be having a homebirth in the fall. I would love to be part of a group for support and to talk about the preparation. My MW will be giving me my preparation list at our next visit and am so excited!

Millie, BW'in and BF'in, Mami to two and cautiously expecting a third in November! :
#9 of 18 Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 AM

We're moving to Brooklyn in a few weeks (from Indiana) and expecting our second baby in November. (It will be our second homebirth, too.) I'd love to meet other homebirthing families once we're in the area!

home-maker & home-schooler with DS (home-waterbirth 12/25/2006) and DD (home-waterbirth 10/25/2009) 

#10 of 18 Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

To those who expressed interest in a group, I'll message you offline with my contact details. Its the first time I've done this so let's hope it works!
#11 of 18 Old 07-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella.rose View Post
To those who expressed interest in a group, I'll message you offline with my contact details. Its the first time I've done this so let's hope it works!
Excellent!

Millie, BW'in and BF'in, Mami to two and cautiously expecting a third in November! :
#12 of 18 Old 07-07-2009, 05:51 PM

I'm organizing monthly meetings, but these are women I met through CBE classes...
Since there is just 5-6 of us, I did not post this anywhere...
We meet on Roosevelt Island, Manhattan,Queens, Brooklyn...

PM me if you are interested, and we can plan something for July/August.

:
#13 of 18 Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 PM

stella.rose:
i am also in Park Slope and also planning a homebirth with Joan Bryson in January! keep me updated on an meetups!

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#14 of 18 Old 08-28-2009, 11:16 PM

I recently had a beautiful homebirth with Kristen Leonard 6 weeks ago..it was amazing..so was she..I would love to hear of any meetups for homebirths that have already happened..I would love to do that..
#15 of 18 Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 AM

hi mamas,

i had a homebirth with my daughter wren in 11/07, just found out i am -- surprise! -- pregnant again and have already gotten in touch with kristen for my second birth in may (assuming all goes well with this preg). i would love to meet up with other homebirthin' mamas! i am also in the south slope area.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#16 of 18 Old 09-03-2009, 05:41 AM

I live in Queens and just had a HB with Kristen also! I absolutely loved her. My BF and I took Natashia's class, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone having her first HB. The class felt like more of a support group at times, as we explored thoughts on birth and transitions to parenthood and the such. I think many couples from the class formed friendships, and everybody is keeping in touch through email when the babies are born (so far I think half of the babies have come).

New mom to baby girl A 08/16/09; 2 cats A and H; and partner to R since 2000.
#17 of 18 Old 02-23-2012, 12:08 PM

Having a home birth with Kristen Leonard in April.  I would love any advice and insight as its my first baby and first homebirth.  I just switched from the BBC to a homebirth at 31 weeks so any positive reinforcement or info would be amazing!

#18 of 18 Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 AM

https://twitter.com/#!/TessaMorales/status/182660944399306753

We have a homebirth circle in New York City.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page