Moving to Sussex County NJ - Vernon/Warwick, NY - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-03-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family and I will be moving to Vernon, NJ at the beginning of August! I posted a thread a couple months back asking about resources when this became a possibility, but now that it is for sure, I figured I'd post again and see what connections I could make! I have 2 1/2 year old and 4 month old boys. I mostly stay at home with them - but right now I teach CPR and First Aid here and there for extra income! I'm looking for recommendations for practitioners (pediatrician, allergies, chiropractor, gyn, family doc), playgroups, kid's activities, and anything else you can tell me!

Mama to two boys (1/07 and 3/09) and due with baby #3 in May.
#2 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 12:24 AM

i live in wantage, its about 20 min away. in our county you have a lot of farms!! its great for driving and saying look cows!! but for anything you have to travel a little ways.

as for a doctor i travel to hackettstown (kinda far) to dr. chi, he is great with the vaccine issue and always good with moms intuition. He is worth the drive. If you dont want to go so far there are a lot of doctors in Vernon ( none great with vaccines) all i can tell you is stay clear of Dr saluja, they are the most medical group, not open to anything what so ever thats natural. they are said to be the best in the county but thats for people who like giving antibiotics as candy to their kids.

There are some nice parks in all the surrounding towns, there is a daycare with an inside play yard that opens it to the public during their kids nap time. that is great for rainy days its in newton its called camp illif. High point has a free nature class i was going to check that out this summer. It also has a nice beach at the lake, its very clean. like i said you need to travel everywhere.

Warwick is near Vernon, they have a lot of cute shops, they have a great kids and baby shop called Bink. a great toy store is in Lafayette , Lisa's toys, i love it their they have a bunch of toys set up to play. they give out wooden trains free for you to color and you can bring them back and play on the train set with them.

Its a great place to raise a family, you just need to get creative. The good thing is everywhere is so nice that picnics in the yard and gardening with the kids can be the most fun stuff.

Welcome to the neighborhood
#3 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM

I second!
Lots of things to do outside. I live in Rockaway Township and we do a lot of farmer markets, fairs, farms, and the likes. I run a writers group for mothers :] So if you want to join that, go for it! Kids are welcome of course - I've got an almost 2 year old

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#4 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 PM

I think I had responded to your previous post, but I wanted to tell you about Dr. Werfel in Suffern - it shouldn't be that far. He is an AMAZING chiropractor. I live 30-min away and go to him. Hope you settle in well and congrats on the new home area!

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#5 of 8 Old 07-07-2009, 06:49 PM

Welcome to Sussex County! I am in Wantage (quite close to parts of Vernon) and I grew up in the area. I am a homebirth midwife (www.newjerseyhomebirth.com) and have two sons, ages 6 and almost 3. Please feel free to contact me when you are settled. I could pass on a list of practitioners and direct you to some local fun.
Jessica
#6 of 8 Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatwig View Post
as for a doctor i travel to hackettstown (kinda far) to dr. chi, he is great with the vaccine issue and always good with moms intuition. He is worth the drive. If you dont want to go so far there are a lot of doctors in Vernon ( none great with vaccines) all i can tell you is stay clear of Dr saluja, they are the most medical group, not open to anything what so ever thats natural. they are said to be the best in the county but thats for people who like giving antibiotics as candy to their kids.

NAK
Dr. Chi is the pedi I was referring to this morning
When I was a kid, he would even order bloodwork to confirm bact. vs. viral before subscribing antibiotics! (Yeah, that was 30+ years ago)
#7 of 8 Old 07-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Welcome to Sussex County!

I grew up there (Frankford) and my family are still all up there...Lafayette, Wantage, Branchville...it is a beautiful place to raise a family & I am always trying to convince DH to move us back there. (we are in Montclair now because he commutes to NYC).

There are lots of outdoor things to do...you have Space Farms over in Wantage (not a fantastic zoo but it's something to do with the kids), High Point State Park, Stokes State Forest...Warwick is adorable too. They used to have a drive in theater there-not sure if it's still open?

The 1st week of August is the Sussex County Fair over in Augusta. Lots of 4H exhibits, rides, food etc.

If you have any specific questions about anything, feel free to drop me a line.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#8 of 8 Old 07-14-2009, 02:01 PM

Forgot to add that I love my OB/GYN-Dr Sotillo at Women's Health Care in Andover. She has hours in their Vernon office one day a week. They have midwives & drs. My Mom is a L&D nurse in Newton Hospital & has worked with the practice for over 20 years. Good people.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page