Mothering Forum banner

How do you do Please Touch Museum or Sesame Place w/2 little kids?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mom2tatum 
#1 ·
My kids are 3 and 1.5. I have year long/season passes to both places which we only use on weekends when DH can come along, but it would be nice to use these passes during the week when these places are less crowded, but I tried Please Touch Museum once by myself. It was a nightmare. I wanted to faint I was so tired of chasing after both kids, and I don't even want to fathom I could handle them both at Sesame Place by myself. But I'm sure there's mammas out there who are capable of doing this, but how?

#2 ·
hey mama,
I definately agree that figuring out how to do places with two is a challenge. Mine are much farther apart in age than yours, so I have a 1.5 but my older one is 7. That's hard in it's own way, because she can't even enter the "toddler" places at Pelase Touch. But at least she doesn't run off!

My one approach is to go places with another mom and her kid. At least then there is some amount of one person watching one child while another needs a diaper change.

Also I try to find an enclosed area for my one year old to play - my issue with the new Please Touch design actually is how "open concept" it is - why is that good for kids? They like small cozy places. I liked more separated areas, so there is less wandering around.

Something like Sesame Place would be hard I think with 1 and 3 year olds on your own. I'd stick to playground and library, less ambitious.

#3 ·
I took my sons to Sesame alone when they were little, I suggest going on a day they are not too busy, take enough snacks, clothes, etc and plan to stay 1.5-2 hours maximum. My boys were 29 months and 3 months, so I was wearing my little one at the time.

Also, decide if you want to do water stuff or dry stuff and stick to that.

Please touch, I went to the older one with just 2 kids, when they were 3 and 1 but have only gone with DH since I have three kids now.

I would recommend asking a friend who has a little bit older child or no children to come along with you if you do not feel comfortable going on your own.

Fall is a really fun time to go to Sesame, school is back in and the crowds die down!!

Take care and good luck!

#5 ·
Sesame place is hard, because many of the dry attractions are 2-seater rides, and the wet attractions are really hard to supervise 2 littles at once. Personally, I would only go there if I had help. 3-4 kids with 2 adults is doable. It's just the thing about having only one set of eyes/hands.

I think Please Touch could work out ok, depending on your particular kids. Yes, write your cell number on the child's arm with a sharpie, and teach them how to point it out if they are lost.

I take mine to the zoo pretty often, but my older ds is 4.5, so I'm sure he's more predictable. He can even help keep an eye on his brother.

#6 ·
Ok, I went on a weekday to Please Touch and luckily, I had a babysitter come with me. I didn't want to risk it on my own. Once I got there, I'm soo glad I asked her to come along. Even if I would have written my number on them, I think I would have fainted after just one hour. Nevertheless, I saw a lot of moms with two, even three kids there by themselves. I guess if you decide that that's what you're going to do, then you just do it, and you get by somehow.

#7 ·
If I had two like my ds1, it would be a major safety violation. My mom friends and I have discussed Please Touch with two tots at length and decided its not a safe decision in most people's cases unless there is another adult. How can a mom safely watch where two wandering, running, escaping toddlers go in such an open place where possibilities of exploration are endless? Just not safe IMO. I won't be attempting it after my ds2 is big enough to want to walk around and play as well. I would surely lose my ds1. For now I can sling my littlest one. But, I still prefer going with a friend and we can work as a team between three or four kids...and not someone who is going to talk my ear off the entire time and make me lose my concentration on watching my kid or hers -it was that experience that had me searching the whole place in a panic for my then 2 yr old - who I'm SURE was either an escape artist or a cheetah in one of his past lives.

I love the idea of writing a cell number on a kids arm with a sharpie!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.