Natural birth with Adv. OB/GYN in Hunterdon, NJ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had a natural birth with an ob from Advanced OB/GYN in Lebanon/Flemington, NJ? I am planning on giving birth at Hunterdon Medical Center and I want an unmedicated birth with as few interventions as possible, but I am having doubts about the doctors in the practice I am currently using. When asked, one of the doctors there, who seemed very defensive about my questions, said that their c-section rate is 40 % (as opposed to 35% for the hospital as a whole) and that their policy is to induce after 41 weeks. I have heard that the c-section rate for this practice is even higher than this doctor admitted to, and I know for a fact that they refuse to deliver you if you use a doula. All this makes me fear that they are not very natural birth friendly, so I am thinking about switching to a midwife from All Women's Healthcare in Flemington. Any advice and/or experiences would be highly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Switch to the midwives there. You'll have a much better chance of a natural birth. I've heard good things about them. One friend said they didn't stay with her the whole time though so I'd highly rec bringing a doula of even just a friend who has birthed naturally.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#3 of 8 Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 PM

I have it on excellent authority that your practice has a 75% cesarean rate. I watched them scare a women in my HypnoBirthing class at HMC. They sectioned a coworker because she was "old." Her 40-something year old pelvis would never allow a baby through. My doula attended a birth with them years ago and it still traumatizes her (client wound up with a c-section). Please consider switching. The midwives there are wonderful and will support you in a natural birth. I know several women who had great births with the midwives.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#4 of 8 Old 07-27-2009, 02:24 AM

I still regret to this day that I stayed with my OBs throughout my first pg despite the fact that my doubts about them grew and grew. I was just too darn chicken to switch, don't ask me why, it was totally stupid. Don't let yourself get caught in that, follow your instincts, and good for you for asking questions!! When I switched to midwives for #2 no one at my old OB even cared. Didn't ask why, didn't try to change my mind, never sent me another appointment reminder note. I was just another faceless patient calling to get her records faxed somewhere else - WHATEVER. (And BTW, my OBs weren't even as bad as your OBs sound. If they don't allow doulas at birth - WTF - that to me is like a red flag waving with flashing lights around it and flares going up! Seriously.)
#5 of 8 Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Hello. I just accidentally came across your e-mail and I signed up for this mothering website just so I could write this to you.

I had my baby exactly two weeks ago with All Women's Health Care at Hunderton. I am so glad I did! They were all wonderful. I too had been with a group I was not happy with so I switched to them quite late, I think I was in my 6th month already when I switched. I am so glad I did (and I had heard really good things about them which is why I felt confident).

You HAVE to be confident with your obgyn group! And they have to be as close to your own values. There are three midwives at All Women's Health and together, they make a great team. Make sure you see them all.

Ok, so you sound just like me. I did hypnobirthing, wanted a doula, midwives, all natural, preferrably a home birth, etc. Well, I'm not sure if this is your first, it was my first. I am now a huge advocate of the hospital birth (at the RIGHT hospital!) I ended up with 26 1/2 hours of active labor and YES, the midwives did induce me at 41 1/2 weeks and I DID end up with an epidural after 15 hours, and I DID end up with a very small episiotomy, BUT every step of the way they honored my birth plan, asked me my thoughts and honored me. I changed my mind on things as labor progressed, but that's ok (my birth plan was a bit of a fantasy, in reality, I wanted out of pain and I wanted the baby out of me!) They went overboard to take care of me. So, when you are there, speak up, say what you need and do your research so if things are a little "different" than you expected or hoped, you can still make informed decisions. They had an extra person attend me, since it's true they will not be able to be with you the whole time, but I told them I was nervous so they had someone attend who stroked my back the whole time to help me through contractions (my doula could only come for the morning - it wasn't her fault, it was something we worked out). The Hunterdon nurses were wonderful, I felt really supported by them as well. Go in with a great attitude to get the most out of it and you'll have your baby very well taken care of! It was a very difficult experience for me, the labor, but I was extremely happy to be in the hands of All Women's Health Care and Hunderton Medical Center. My baby is doing great - 2 weeks old today!

The food is good at Hunterdon too and I had a great room with a great view. I never got to use the jacuzzi, but maybe you'll be able to and you'll sail through your labor. I wish this for you.

Good luck,
Janet
#6 of 8 Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 PM

jlo111 - would you be willing to answer a few questions about all women's healthcare? i am newly pregnant and would like some more information about their group and hunterdon medical.

thanks!
#7 of 8 Old 09-04-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Since my post has been brought somewhat back to life here, I thought that I would take the opportunity to thank everyone here for their advice and encouragement. The switch has been made, and I'm having my first appointment with one of the midwives at All Women's Healthcare later this month.
#8 of 8 Old 11-27-2011, 03:41 PM

DON'T GOTO THE FLEMINTON HUNTERDON ALL WOMEN'S HEALTH CENTER!

When the 1st moment you walk into it, you will be attracted by all the nice atmosphere...then you got yourself into a lottery trap!

I joined them because I had the above feeling...then I lost my 1st pregnacy twins at 4months without any complications and I am super healthy!

I met 2 mid-wifies at the beginning and they were very nice and done their job. However, the last 2 times visit were arrange to met 2 doctors. The doctor at the lastest checking who is only concern to convince us to get flu shot more than 5mins and done nothing of any checking, even we asked her many times about one of our baby position was too low! I lost my twins with preterm labor 3 days later after the exam because one baby too low and the Dr. not telling us to bedrest. Their explainlations were all lies to try to cover their negligence! They even not tell me the lactation of the pain or care after the labor. They didn't call any or arrange check up afterwards and claims they do care! All the tragic happened because they truely not care deep inside their heart! Once you lost your babies, they treat your lost as a bad luck and you will be trash and buried. If anyone can sucessfully labor then they took the credit. Do your own homework and don't trust the doctor completely, once you met the heartless one will be just like me, paid a big price and the scar never heal!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page