Doylestown Midwifery - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2009, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anybody had any experience with using Doylestown Midwifery? I searched all the forums and the last post I saw about them was from 2002 and didn't have any information into how they practice.

I am also willing to take other recommendations for midwives in that general area as well if you know of any that are better and great for first timers. Somebody with knowledge of PCOS would be great but not required.

Thanks so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedfrrog View Post
I was wondering if anybody had any experience with using Doylestown Midwifery? I searched all the forums and the last post I saw about them was from 2002 and didn't have any information into how they practice.
Were you ever able to find anything out about this group?

Stacey, Mama to one young lady, 02-98, and three busy guys 04-00, 12-02, and 12-04 and one final little one due July 2010
Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 PM

I just saw someone recommend this group and was wondering if anyone else can tell me about their experience?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM

Sorry I can't help. I'm trying to find out as well. I was hoping you knew more by now.

Stacey, Mama to one young lady, 02-98, and three busy guys 04-00, 12-02, and 12-04 and one final little one due July 2010
Old 01-19-2010, 05:41 PM

I used Doylestown Midwives to deliver my first 2 kids in 2005 and 2007. I wound up being induced with both, but my care by the MWs was good. The hospital staff was pretty supportive and left us alone when desired.

The practice has been thru a lot of changes since my son's birth. Of the MWs that were there when my kids were born, only one is left.

Teresa
Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 PM

I only know of one person who used them and it was years ago...in 2004. Her MW was awful and she ended up with a c-section. Have you looked into Valley Birthplace (Barbara D'Amato) or Midwifery Traditions (Kathy Hindle and Janet Lewis)?

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 01-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
i used them in 2002; i would neither rec them then nor now. feel free to pm me if you'd like more info.

sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 PM

I have a friend who went to doylestown hospital for her first birth but has since transferred. I know the original director of the practice has since retired so now from my understanding its a solo practice with a connection to an OB group in some way (I think for call and back-up). I go to Valley Birthplace in Huntingdon Valley and have been happy there. Hope that helps!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:24 PM

I am with Doylestown Midwifery now, but I'm scheduled to see Kathy Hindle at Midwifery Traditions tomorrow for a consultation. I'm leaning toward a home birth, and JoAnne Ruth only delivers at Doylestown Hospital. Kathy seems to come highly recommended in the area for home births.

Mommy to Amos - 3, expected Boy #2 August 1, 2010
Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 AM

I delivered with doylestown midwifery and had a horrible experience. I literally am traumatized from my labor experience and it was all because my midwife was HORRIBLE! even in all the pictures we have of my labor she looks like she hates the world in everyone of the pictures. her name was alisa. i didn't like her at my visits and she was very mean towards my husband. I was just hoping that i didn't get her when i went into labor. Well I did and she was very cold, she didn't explain anything that i was feeling (first time mom with no pain meds) she made me feel scared because she was so emotionless and cold. I felt like something was worong and she was worried and not telling me. But I think later after a healthy c-section(which was my last resort) i realized it was her. I am happy I have a healthy baby girl but i can't even look at pictures of the birth without all the horrible feeling coming back. I am not one to talk bad out people and i try to find the good in everyone, but when it comes to mothers having babies I feel I had to share my experience. 

Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM

Try Valley Birthplace.  They're wonderful!  I had a c-sec for my first child at Doylestown Hospital, but couldn't stomach the non-VBAC policy of the hospital for #2.  My doctor for #1 was the back-up doc for Doylestown Midwifery.  He is an excellent surgeon, and for that I am grateful, but I've not heard very promising reviews for the midwifery practice and the c-sec rate for the hospital is really awful.  Valley Birthplace was phenomenal.  I had to go to Montgomery Hospital because I was a VBAC, but it was still wonderful!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 AM

I want to try Valley Birthplace after using Doylestown Midwifery for my 1st daughter - Doylestown hospital was amazing even though I had a c-section (my daughter was breech).  Their lactation consultant was phenominal.  But I was hesitant on using a mid-wife for a vbac because I wasnt sure about the hospital that Valley Birthplace uses.  Can anyone recommend that hospital?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM

I just popped in on this thread because of location.  I am a traditional midwife providing home birth services in SEPA and have recently joined several other holistic health providers in Doylestown.  I've held several community events to get to know the community better and I have only heard wonderful reviews of the Valley Birthplace and Women's Center from members of the community.  Many have had one or more births with other providers and when they found Valley Birthplace they fell in love and received superior care from the midwives there.  

Doylestown Hospital(42%) and Lower Bucks(41%) Hospitals have one of the top C-section rates in the state according to the 2009 rates that were recently released.  I can't seem to find what their VBAC success rate is.  

In any event, low risk mothers in this part of the state should seriously consider birthing outside of these two hospitals.  

Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.schwartz View Post

Doylestown Hospital(42%) and Lower Bucks(41%) Hospitals have one of the top C-section rates in the state according to the 2009 rates that were recently released.  I can't seem to find what their VBAC success rate is.  

In any event, low risk mothers in this part of the state should seriously consider birthing outside of these two hospitals.  

Last I heard, Doylestown does not do vbacs.  I had a friend who was ready to push & they cut her open b/c she was a scheduled, repeat csection :-(.

Sus

Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Kathy and Janet at Midwifery Traditions are awesome. You can birth at home or at Montgomery hospital.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 PM

I know this is a little late on the post but I switched to Valley Birth Place after 31 weeks with a traditional OB/GYN in Abington. Best thing I have ever done, I can not say enough about the personalized care and attention. They really made it an experience to celebrate not endure. They respected all my wishes and provided me the education to make informed desicions in my own care rather than having it made for me. I now live closer to Doyelstown Hospital and have wondered the same thing about their care as I'm reluctant to chance driving an hour to Norristown/Montgomery Hospital for a second child. I appriciate reading all the great feedback!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 AM

I have been with Doylestown Midwifery for 22 years. I saw Ann Lynn who is now retired and Joanne who is still with the practice. Kathy Hindle assisted at my births. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about them. I see Joanne and she always makes me feel comfortable and relaxed which is saying something for someone who gives birth at home to avoid hospitals and doctors! 

Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 AM

I know this thread is semi-old now.  I am still in the same boat with #2 that I was with #1.  I had a C at Doylestown Hospital due to breech presentation.  I am pregnant with my 2nd and have been researching VBACs.  I had a consultation with Valley Birthplace and loved them but do not know anything about the new Einstein Medical Montgomery.  Does anyone have any experience with that hospital?  Has anyone had a successful VBAC there or ended up with a C that can verify that the OBs are good surgeons?  I cant seem to make a decision without knowing more about the hospital.  It makes me uncomfortable to leave the familiar, but I feel that I will end up with another c-section if I stay with Doylestown.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:24 PM

I haven't birthed at Einstein but I have clients that have. (placenta encapsulation)    The hospital is beautiful and the staff  has been great.   Nobody has complained yet.   It's one of my favorite hospitals that I have had clients at.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

Old 04-16-2013, 12:42 PM

Treehuggingmama, can you send me some info on placenta encapsulation? Thanks for the feedback on Einstein!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinter2 View Post

I know this thread is semi-old now.  I am still in the same boat with #2 that I was with #1.  I had a C at Doylestown Hospital due to breech presentation.  I am pregnant with my 2nd and have been researching VBACs.  I had a consultation with Valley Birthplace and loved them but do not know anything about the new Einstein Medical Montgomery.  Does anyone have any experience with that hospital?  Has anyone had a successful VBAC there or ended up with a C that can verify that the OBs are good surgeons?  I cant seem to make a decision without knowing more about the hospital.  It makes me uncomfortable to leave the familiar, but I feel that I will end up with another c-section if I stay with Doylestown.

Have you contacted ICAN?  Their website is ican-online.org, I believe.

I think you are right that if you go w/ Doylestown, you'll end up w/ another c-section.  I posted the story of what happened to a friend up-thread.  The reason I've heard that mothers can not attempt a VBAC in many places is because they need to have emergency services available.  Well, they had the emergency people right there & they stopped her from pushing to cut her open :-/.

Best wishes,

Sus

User Tag List