Hospital/OB recomendations for South Jersey? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-06-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read the thread asking about CNM's in south jersey who were holistic minded. Aside from Philly area practices there were no suggestions. I am wondering if any ob practice and hospital here in South Jersey is considered to be more flexible and open to natural birth choices.

I have had two hospital births, and haven't been impressed. It's been a fight each time. I was even kicked out of Kennedy Turnersville for declining EFM when i arrived at 1:00 am. However, I did meet the greatest hospital birth midwife ever, who was on call 12 hours later and saved the day, Sarah Applby-Wineberg. She is on sabbatical this year, so, trying to work with her is not an option.

So... while i figure out if we can afford a homebirth, i would like to get some prenatal care from a conscious human being, somewhat close by, regardless of their status with the AMA. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 AM

Have you checked out the maternity wing at South Jersey Hospital in Elmer? They do water birth, having labor pools. Two midwives that I know of: Karen Shields (who does not give epidurals) and Patty Madden who is in a practice with an OB. It is easy to get to via Rt. 55. Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 04:19 PM

There are two other midwives (Robin and Dianne) in the practice that Sarah belonged to (UMDNJ), and both are quite good. Patty Madden at Elmer is also wonderful. As a doula, I've had great experiences with both of these practices, and continue to work with them often. What matters most, in my experience, is how prepared a mama is for her on birth. Knowing what you want, being willing to ask for it, and having strong advocates on your birthing team all go together to create a natural and empowered birth. Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 09:27 PM

Hey, Jodi. Just curious if you have ever had experience with Karen Shields and your thoughts on her. Thanks.
#5 of 5 Old 09-12-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas, i definitely don't want to drive to Elmer. These days i barely have a chance to get to a doctors office, let alone a drive to get there at rush hour once a month! It sounds nice though. Thanks for your suggestion.
I have put in the good fight at the hospital twice now, fighting for my right to totally nat'l birth and baby care, which i've managed to create but in a hostile setting at times! My first son was born with Diane 8 yrs ago, though she wasn't exactly supportive of no interventions. I also felt totally betrayed by her when UMDNJ midwife/doc turned me away last time. Though i'd seen her for almost all my prenatal visits, she acted like she knew nothing about me or my history or anything!
I'm just over the "fight" and getting older and want my husband to see the glorious side of things with a home birth. This is our 2nd babe, but my 4th. With #2 having been born at home in CO. We are working on financing home birth, its looking better since we just managed to eliminate a $5000 expense for this year!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page