Good Organic Apple Picking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone find a good organic apple picking spot in NY/PA/NJ? Have done tons of farms in NJ over the years but am really looking to do organic going fwd.

TIA!!!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#2 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unfortunately, organic apple growing is very difficult in the Northeast. it's only in the past few years that they've worked out how to do it without taking a massive loss on the crop, and even then, many farmers are sticking with IPM for now. (This is why all the commercially available organic apples are from Washington state, even when the conventional apples are local.)

However, the two farms mentioned here might work for you:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/445347

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#3 of 10 Old 09-09-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for that info. I think we might make a day of it & visit both the farms.

After I posted my ?, I kept digging around the net but was really struggling to find much other than the tons of regular apple picking farms that I am sure are sprayed extensively.

I also just remembered that I thought some of the fall varieties at our local Whole Foods were organic so I am going to try & check that out this week & then see if I can find out which farms they come from.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#4 of 10 Old 09-09-2009, 04:43 PM

DH and DD1 picked some awesome apples at Rodale's a couple years ago while I was at my doula workshop. I think they were pretty reasonably priced. I'm thinking about going down again this year.
#5 of 10 Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM

IPM farms should be making an effort to reduce pesticide use (one of the goals of IPM), but there isn't a clear way to know the way there is with organic.

Rodale is one of the first organic farms to try apple growing in the Northeast and they have an interesting article on the issues:

http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/f.../orchard.shtml

Here's another short article about Penn State's efforts:

http://www.farmanddairy.com/news/org...-cow/9334.html

Unfortunately, any organic apples that I have seen in supermarkets are Western--hopefully, as organic production increases in the Northeast, this will change. It is tough. Ultimately I've decided that for now, I value supporting local farmers and heirloom varieties (often only grown on small farms) over organic purity, at least for this. Apples are such a part of our history and heritage here. I love going to farms during apple season and trying all the types, rather than the 7 or 8 varieties they sell at the supermarket.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#6 of 10 Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 PM

we went apple picking at stone ridge last year and loved it. it was totally beautiful, totally relaxed, and the apples were delicious.

http://www.stoneridgeorchard.us/

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#7 of 10 Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM

FYI - Rodale is having an Organic Apple festival today! It was rained out yesterday.
#8 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 AM

Just curious: what makes it so hard? especially since apples are such a long-standing tradition all over the country...
#9 of 10 Old 09-14-2009, 03:19 PM

Try reading the articles I linked above - they explain the problems and why the Northeast has them worse than the West.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#10 of 10 Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM

If you like heirloom varieties, try Hopewell Furnace. :

http://www.nps.gov/hofu/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

They use integrative pest management, so they do spray early in the season, but not anywhere near as much as a commercial grower.

We have 15 unsprayed apple trees in our PA yard - of heirloom varieties - the result is edible after we cut the worms out, but could never be sold because people expect nice looking uniform apples. If I ever plant apple trees again I may go with disease resistant instead of heirloom.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page