Brookyn Birthing Center - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-24-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Brooklyn Birthing Center stopped having births there for a little over two weeks and delivered patients at Maimonidies (I would be so livid if that happened to me! It was bad enough going into labor prematurely and having to deliver there.) Does anyone know what made them reexamine things or what happened?
#2 of 6 Old 01-04-2010, 03:37 AM

They had a "poor outcome" (that was the languege I heard) and were forced to transfer temporarily pending an brief inquiry into what happened. They are birthing babies at the BBC now.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#3 of 6 Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I guess I was looking to learn more about the "poor outcome" and am so surprised there are no media stories about it. Maybe someone can PM me?

One would think they would be more open considering hospitals have poor outcomes far more often. It seems preferable set the record straight rather than let rumors go wild.
#4 of 6 Old 01-05-2010, 05:11 PM

I'd be very interested to find out as well. I'm newly PG (6 weeks) with my first and we have been discussing our options for birth. BBC was on the short list.

Erica
DD September 2010, m/c October 2009
#5 of 6 Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 PM

I think that privacy is always a primary issue and the BBC nor any of the other people (besides the parents) are not really at liberty to discuss what it was that happened, because that would violate the parent's right to privacy. While I do not know the story, a poor outcome likely means that a baby was born still, which happens. It is always a tragedy and always worth looking into to make sure it was not something that could have been avoided.

I think the BBC is a very safe and reasonable place to give birth and I have atteneded becautiful births there myself. If you are a patient of those midiwves, you might be able to ask for further reassurance or explanation from them.

Faeriecurls, congrats on your pregnancy!

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#6 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDoula View Post
I think that privacy is always a primary issue and the BBC nor any of the other people (besides the parents) are not really at liberty to discuss what it was that happened, because that would violate the parent's right to privacy. While I do not know the story, a poor outcome likely means that a baby was born still, which happens. It is always a tragedy and always worth looking into to make sure it was not something that could have been avoided.

I think the BBC is a very safe and reasonable place to give birth and I have atteneded becautiful births there myself. If you are a patient of those midiwves, you might be able to ask for further reassurance or explanation from them.

Faeriecurls, congrats on your pregnancy!
I heartily agree with Megan on all accounts above. I worked in the past at the BBC as a nursing student on an internship and then briefly as a birthing assistant. The BBC just passed their 10 year anniversary and this is the first 'poor outcome' they have experienced (as far as I know). The midwives are caring and expert and if I did not choose to birth at home, I would definitely birth there with them.

mama to my little lion, Ariel since 10 Aug 2007
all about love

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page