Planning 1st preg near Albany, NY - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask or not and I'm not actually pregnant yet but I'm trying to find some recent information on the options I have available.

I'm definitely interested in using midwife and doula for my labor with an OB on standby if the midwife deems it necessary. I am definitely NOT interested in using an OB exclusively. A post from a few years ago mentions Seton Health as being a great place for low intervention births but it seems that they are part of a merger between three area hospitals. They'd probably be my first choice but in case they aren't around by the time I need them I'd like to know about what else is around.

So please, if you or anyone you know have had experiences giving birth in the area, I'd like to hear your stories and recommendations.

Also, as this is my first pregnancy and I'm still trying to get a grip on all the info out there, I'd like to know what others wish they'd known before their pregnancy or labor. What questions should I be asking both for the pregnancy, delivery, and after. (For instance there was mention that one of the area hospitals didn't provide a Lactation Consultant unless asked, I wouldn't even have KNOWN to ask.)

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 PM

Is home birth an option? I ask because one of the midwives from Seton is now operating a very very good home birth practice. Her name is Michelle Doyle, and her website is localcaremidwifery.com. I'm a current client, and appointments are generally 30-45 minutes. Michelle is awesome, and I'd recommend her to anyone low risk enough to be an appropriate home birth candidate.

Other than that, the midwives at St. Peter's are pretty good as far as I know. There is a practice that delivers at Bellevue in Niskayuna (Dr. Sattar's office) and they are quite natural birth friendly as a practice even though Bellevue isn't noted for its natural birth support.

Another option to consider would be family practice doctors with obstetrical privileges. There are several in this area.

Where in the Capital District are you in particular? And yes.. the merger is very concerning in terms of maintaining the quality of maternity care that Seton has offered for so long.

Catholic wife in love.gifwith my husband, mom to superhero.gifx5,  babygirl.gifx2, angel1.gifx6. Birther of babes, baker of bread, and connoisseur of human folly. WINNER OF THE SILVER BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC! Happily hospital birthing with my BFF, Epidural Man.
#3 of 8 Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 AM

^^^I agree with you^^^ Michelle Doyle is wonderful, if you would like to consider homebirth. Dr. Satar in Schenectady has I think 4 midwives now, they are all wonderful! It depends on where you live and how far you would like to travel! I'm a doula here, and I have worked at most of all the local hospitals! I haven't attended a home birth...yet, I can't wait to though!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#4 of 8 Old 01-13-2010, 11:26 PM

moving to "Finding Your Tribe"

Good luck with your journey!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 PM

The Seton Midwives will be practicing until at least the end of this year, and the merger is concerning but looking very positive thanks to the hard work of a lot of local ladies. Michelle Doyle is also a great option for homebirth! I am part of a wonderful group of local doulas: www.capitalregiondoulas.org Great resource for local doulas. Feel free to PM me and I"ll help you find someone!
Best,
Amy

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#6 of 8 Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 PM

#7 of 8 Old 01-17-2010, 01:48 PM

I'm currently PG and am seeing McGinnis Women's Care in Latham. They only deliver at Bellevue. Now, the 2 OBs in practice are the only ones who do deliveries, but most of the office visits are done with NPs, whom I like. Not exactly what you wanted, but I though I'd throw it out there since I really like the practice so far. I've also heard really good things about Bellevue, although not necessarily for natural birth. They do have good lactation services, so I've heard.

For my last PG I delivered at Albany Med with the Albany Med practice. Would NOT recommend for you. AMC has NO deliveries with a midwife. I didn't have a bad experience with them, but for a low risk pg/birth I wanted to try something new.

If I lived closer to Troy I DEFINITELY would have chosen the Seton Midwives. So I am also upset with the news of the merger. I hope they are able to keep up with their standard of care after the merger.

Also, I know a really good lactation consultant in the area, PM me if you'd like her name and contact info. She works at AMC, but also has a private practice.

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

#8 of 8 Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 PM

if you are over here on the east side of the hudson river, there is a group of doulas connected in berkshire doulas that reaches into columbia county.

a dear freind has had all three of her boys at home with one of these ladies.
whose name escapes me...

i had my two kids at fairview hospital in gt barrington, and was very happy with my care. there is a midwife in the practice (and doulas are welcome!!)

hope that helps! best of luck to you!

louloubean in love with bryan, mom of boo squeak and nor nor: and 7 chickens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page