Monmouth Co. -- Midwife recs? Birth options? Any military mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-03-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting really nervous about giving birth in this area... I'm completely set on a birth as natural as possible, but home birth is not really an option for us- it's not completely ruled out, but our location and insurance make it difficult, and my husband isn't completely comfortable with the idea.

I have a million questions, but I'll try to keep this short...

Does anybody have any midwife recommendations within a reasonable drive from the Highlands area?

Is there anyone who is on either TriCare or US Family Health Plan who's had a positive, natural birth experience in the area?

Has anybody had a positive, natural birth experience at either Monmouth Medical Center or Riverview hospital?

Thanks so much! Also any doula recs, birthing tub rental recs, etc. are more than welcome

#2 of 7 Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Last time I checked, the Avon Midwives at Monmouth Medical and Jersey Shore took Tricare. I've talked to a couple women (one coming off active duty) that had beautiful births with them. Tricare will cover homebirth with CNMs (not CPMs). My midwives (Midwifery Care Associates) in Pennington take Tricare. Homebirth midwives will typically travel about an hour. I'm not sure if Midwifey Care is within an hour or not but it's worth checking out. They have hospital priviledges as well if you change your mind or need to transfer. I'm on Tricare and had a wonderful natural birth so don't fear Tricare!

I have links to a number of doulas on www.icansomerset.com. Scroll down to the bottom left. There are a quite a few good doulas in your area.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#3 of 7 Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 AM

Hi-

I am a home birth midwife in the area and know some of the good doctors and midwives! Please feel free to call me to ask questions!! 908-575-3282.

Dina A.
Home Birth Midwife
#4 of 7 Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holz View Post

Has anybody had a positive, natural birth experience at either Monmouth Medical Center or Riverview hospital?

Thanks so much! Also any doula recs, birthing tub rental recs, etc. are more than welcome
I had a fantastic experience at Monmouth Medical Center. My birth plan was followed to a T. (wonderful labor and delivery nurse and staff).
It was a water birth (we brought our pool). You can labor in their tubs but not deliver. So we purchased a La Bassine and accessories from Marla at http://waterbirthsolutionsstore.com/ You would need to drop off the pool prior to your estimated due date, as they inspect it, then store it for you (which was very convenient).

I had an OB though, not a midwife so I am unable to help you there. It was an all natural birth, and my OB was excellent, so respectful of my birth plan.

You can also contact Doula Rose Marie Di Mare http://www.mothertomotherdoulas.com/Biographies.html , for reccomendation on a midwife. She works with the various OB's and midwives at Monmouth Medical Center, and I believe Riverview, but not sure. She is a joy to speak with and very helpful.

Rose Marie also rents her AquaDoula pool, so you could ask her too.

Also waterbirth.org is founded by Barbara Harper and she is a helpful resource regarding birth professionals and hospitals.
Her contact info is on her site: www.waterbirth.org
#5 of 7 Old 02-12-2010, 05:54 PM

You should come to the Dar a Luz meeting this Wednesday (the 17th) in Belmar. It's a great group of women focuses on natural childbirth solutions. They have all sorts of information on doulas, midwives, etc. and many women who attend are practicing in the Monmouth County area. LMK if you'd like more info!

Mom to my 2 girls (11/06 and 12/08)
owner of Snooty Booty Diapers~ use code "mdc" for 5% off your order!
#6 of 7 Old 02-14-2010, 10:37 PM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Patty and Louise at Center for Women's Health in Avon. They take most insurance plans. Had both my children with them and have gotten several others to go there as well (and we're all an hour drive!). My first was born in Monmouth, second in Jersey Shore. Both were good hospitals, but for a more "natural" feeling, def. go to Jersey Shore. They let me labor and push in whatever position I wanted (they WANTED me to get up and squat to help me get her out). They let me push for over 3 hours and it was a VBAC - I think that says a lot for the midwife and the hospital right there. The baby never left my side after she was born, everything was done right in the room with us.

I was planning on using a birthing tub with my first at Monmouth - I can't remember who I called to rent one from - someone in the area - but my midwives gave me the number so they would know. I also used Dorothy Haines with Your Best Birth for my doula... great woman. Her website is www.yourbestbirth.org.

Good Luck.

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
#7 of 7 Old 04-13-2011, 08:22 AM

hi,

i know you posted this a while ago, but wanted to ask you if you don't mind sharing who you ended up using. i live in long branch and starting to look at my options in the area for a natural birth. my 2 boys were born at a birth center, in PA but there are no birth centers in this area :(

thanks for any advice!

Elana

goralelana@gmail.com  

i will appreciate if you can email back to my regular email since i always forget to sign in to this forum. THANKS!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page