Vaccine issues in NY state - please help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are considering a summer program for our DD (29 months) and possibly preschool in the fall. She was born in CA and had two doses of DTaP and HiB, nothing prior or since. Our son, born in NY has received no vaccinations.

We are planning on attempting a religious exemption. I know these are taken on a school by school basis each time.

questions:

We are Jewish and looking at Jewish summer camps and day schools. Do any Jewish mamas have experience with a religious exemption and their child's Jewish school?

Would the exemption have to be reviewed by each summer camp/day car/school we consider or attempt to enroll?

NY is an all or nothing state, correct? As in, we can't agree to certain vaccines and refuse others...

If we don't get the exemption, would DD need to be fully vaxed in 6 months or is there any leeway in the NY vaccine schedule?

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#2 of 5 Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 AM

My son is older, but when he goes to any place that requires vaccination we ave our pediatrician write a medical exemption letter. It basically says he isn't vaccinated due to a family history of autism and adverse reactions. The attitude I ave gotten has been that they just want the paper work on file in case they get audited by the state.

We do have his titers for MMR and DPT (he had those done before I knew better) checked every two years and provide copies of the tests if requested.
But that isn't really necessary.
#3 of 5 Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
We are Jewish and looking at Jewish summer camps and day schools. Do any Jewish mamas have experience with a religious exemption and their child's Jewish school?
If the school accepts any kind of government money (even something as little as a milk or lunch program), then they legally have to accept well-written exemptions. If the school is completely funded by tuition and donations, then they have the choice to accept exemptions or not.

I would call and ask the school if they accept religious exemptions. Some schools do not (see above), so you may have to choose between getting your DD vaxed or looking for another school.

If its just a day camp, they may not need any info regarding vaxes. For preschool, I think the vax info is required by the state.

Quote:
Would the exemption have to be reviewed by each summer camp/day car/school we consider or attempt to enroll?
Once the child is enrolled in that school, the exemption does not have to be reviewed every year. Sometimes medical exemptions are reviewed every year, like if the child had an egg allergy but outgrew it, the school may require the child to get vaxes that contain traces of eggs. (Medical exemptions are pretty rare, so I haven't heard much about them, just giving an example.)

You should also be fine if you live in the same school district and your children go to the same district schools from K-12. If you change schools or districts, pointing out that their previous school accepted your religious exemption with no questions may help too.

Quote:
NY is an all or nothing state, correct? As in, we can't agree to certain vaccines and refuse others...
Correct, NY is an all or nothing state. You cannot say something like "Because of the teachings of my religion, I'm pro-life, so my children will not be getting any vaxes containing aborted fetal cells, such as chicken pox, hep A, and rubella." The wording of the law is that you are against the "practice" or actual giving of the shots, not ingredients.

However, people can "find God" at any point in their lives. Your DD was previously vaxed but received no more and there are no plans for either of your kids to get any vaxes. You can say that you have since learned more about your faith and that you believe that God does not want you to vax your children (or something along those lines).

Quote:
If we don't get the exemption, would DD need to be fully vaxed in 6 months or is there any leeway in the NY vaccine schedule?
I'm not sure about this. There is a list of all of the vaxes required for each grade level (google "ny vaccination schedule"). Not all of the doses recommended by the CDC/APA are required for school entry in NY.
#4 of 5 Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Not sure what we're going to do, but I appreciate all the information I can get.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#5 of 5 Old 03-19-2010, 07:38 PM

There is a group in NY called The Coallition for Informed Consent that can help you out. They work hard to help you get your kids in school when they aren't vaxed. I looked into it when we moved here because I was worried about NY vax laws but we aren't sending our kids to school so I haven't gone any further. They were very helpful though. Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page