Mothering Forum banner

Kennedy Hospital Washington Township

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mama24-7 
#1 ·
Hello! I have been a Mothering community member for a while but have never posted until now.

I am looking for feedback on birthing at Kennedy Hospital of Washington Township.

As a bit of background: I am 27 and pregnant with my third child. I had a c-section with baby #2 and this time I am trying for a VBAC. I have a fantastic care provider- she's so supportive and generally just awesome! However, because I am trying for a VBAC, I cannot deliver at the hospital I originally chose (Elmer Hospital) because of the anesthesiology department hours (no one guaranteed to be available in case of an odd-hour emergency).

I am pretty nervous about delivering there as I am originally from central NJ and the Kennedy campuses up there have pretty crappy reputations. I was assured by my OB's staff that Kennedy Washington Township is wonderful, but I'd love some reassurance from anyone who has personally delivered there!

Thanks in advance!

-Jaime

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had two VBACs at Kennedy Washington Twp. FTR, the Kennedy Health System in South Jersey is not connected to the one in central Jersey. Anyhoo, with my first VBAC my water broke first and I went in to be checked at the suggestion of my CNM Bobbi (no longer with University Doctors). I labored there fairly peacefully with minimal interruption from the staff other than intermittent EFM, which they did with me standing and swaying (no bed for me!). The staff overall was very respectful of my wishes, but I don't know how much of that was because my CNMs had been catching there for a while and had a "rep", IYKWIM.

With my second VBAC I pretty much showed up pushing, so not too much to say about that experience
. That one was with Sarah, who I adore.

I will say, when I went for the tour, the person doing the tour made it sound like VBACs would be chained to the bed, on continous EFM, IVs, starved, etc. I was in a panic until I talked to the Nurse Manager for L&D, who assured me that my care providers wrote my orders, and that what was said on the tour was what some of the practioners there "required".

All of this was 5 and 3 yrs ago, and the politics and practices of hospital birth change really frequently, but at least this is one set of experiences. Feel free to email me if you want any more details.

Have a great birth!

#3 ·
Oh that's so awesome to hear! My OB is pretty fantastic so I'm sure she will look out for me (I don't know if you know of her or perhaps have even used her "group" at all but I am with Dr. O'Flynn at Women's Healthcare of Mullica Hill... her midwife is Patty Madden). She delivers at KWT primarily so I'd imagine the staff are pretty familiar with her and am hoping that means they'll be more flexible.

I signed up for a group tour on April 5th, so I am really eager to go and see everything for myself. I am so nervous about my VBAC (I'm sure you know where I'm coming from with that!) so anything that will put my mind at ease helps. Do you know offhand if they have tubs there, at least for labor (if not for birth too)? That was the reason I'd originally chosen Elmer.

The other Kennedy Hospitals I was referring to are more in south Jersey but close to central(where I lived) so I probably should have been more clear... I was thinking in particular of Kennedy in Cherry Hill, which is part of the same network but has a less-than-stellar reputation.

Thanks so much for getting back to me, I feel better already hearing from someone who had two successful VBACs there.
That's a positive sign!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by machinewashable View Post
...My OB is pretty fantastic so I'm sure she will look out for me (I don't know if you know of her or perhaps have even used her "group" at all but I am with Dr. O'Flynn at Women's Healthcare of Mullica Hill... her midwife is Patty Madden.
I've heard really good things about that practice (I used to be an ICAN Chapter Leader) and Elmer's maternity service, although it rally irks me that they won't accept VBACs, but that's a whole 'nuther issue...

Quote:

...I am so nervous about my VBAC (I'm sure you know where I'm coming from with that!) so anything that will put my mind at ease helps. Do you know offhand if they have tubs there, at least for labor (if not for birth too)? That was the reason I'd originally chosen Elmer.
To the best of my knowledge they do not have laboring tubs, although a friend of mine spent quite a bit of her labor for one of her kids in the shower! They do not do waterbirth. Honestly, I think a huge part of a successful VBAC is getting your head in the right place, IYKWIM. I read tons of positive birth stories, a lot of them VBAC ones but not exclusively. Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin has lots of goofy, funny, uplifting ones. No shortage of them here on MDC either! Also, some wonderful friends gave me a Blessingway and since I didn't really need any baby things, they focused on supporting me in my path. Each of them wrote or quoted something about the power of women in birth, about my own strength, etc. I read them in early labor and not only did I feel encouraged by them, I felt very loved too. Always a good thing for a laboring Mama to feel!

Another important part of a successful VBAC is carefully choosing a provider and location, but like I said I've heard good things about Dr. O'Flynn and well, you now know about some good VBACs at your chosen location!

Quote:

...The other Kennedy Hospitals I was referring to are more in south Jersey but close to central(where I lived) so I probably should have been more clear... I was thinking in particular of Kennedy in Cherry Hill, which is part of the same network but has a less-than-stellar reputation...
Well, the Cherry Hill division doesn't have L&D or peds, so no worries there! Like any hospital, they are better at some things and worse at others. I'm a paramedic in Camden County, so I kinda know more about the area hospitals than the average consumer

Quote:

...Thanks so much for getting back to me, I feel better already hearing from someone who had two successful VBACs there.
That's a positive sign!
Have a great birth, and try not to let the tour mess with your head if they are still saying those things. If they do, call the nurse manager for L&D and speak with her, if for no other reason than she needs to know they are still freaking people out! If you have any more questions about my experiences there, feel free to ask.

#7 ·
I birthed at Kennedy with a good overall experience 5 years ago; my only complaint was that the nurses were very pushy with the epidural. However, I had a doula client birth there last year and she had an AMAZING VBAC with Dr. O'Flynn.

#8 ·
I had my unmedicated VBAC! I am over the moon about how our experience was. Dr. O'Flynn and the doctors and nurses at Kennedy were fantastic. I was shocked at how supportive the hospital was of natural birth. I'll make a more detailed post soon but just thought I'd update and say what a positive, pleasant birth experience I had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.