What does this mean? (Vaccine question) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today at my daughter's two month visit, I declined the Hep B shot. I also asked to delay Prevnar. The doctor told me they would continue to treat and care for my daughter, but that we would have to go and get our shots from the Department of Health. He made this seem like a bad thing, and then asked if I still wanted to decline. I said, Absolutely, and that was that.

What exactly does it mean that I have to go to the Dept of Health? Is it a bad thing? Will they call CPS or something?

I live in Central New York, and had delayed some of my elder daughter's vaxes in the past without this response.

Thanks.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#2 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 03:25 PM

I honestly don't understand either. If you are not giving your daughter shots, why on earth would you go to the Dept of Health to GET SHOTS? Doesnt make sense.

I actually called around to find a ped who already had patients who didnt vax (or delayed) this way, when I went for WBV, they wouldnt be surprised that I wasnt getting any, and then give me a hard time. Perhaps you should call around?
#3 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 03:29 PM

Well, she's saying she wants to get Prevnar, but delay it.

So he said she has to get that shot at the Dept of Health.

I don't really get it though either.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#4 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I would rather not get it at all, but it is almost impossible to find a doctor here (closest is over an hour away) who accepts non-vaxers. I didn't know if the dept of health is more likely to call cps if you aren't vax-ing or something.

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
#5 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM

Even if they do, you are religiously opposed to vaccination, as stated as your right as a US citizen. (and in NY, that is your only option, other then Medical)

IMHO, I would not be getting ANY vaccines, and trying to find a family doctor who will see my kids. Refusing treatment because of vaccination status is one of the MANY tricks Dr's use that me. But I have a very big opinion about vaxxes in general, and there isnt anything that WOULD scare me into getting any of them.
#6 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know about new york but the department of health here (in CA) is certainly not going to call CPS if you bring in a kid late for a vax. They're cheaper at public health too. I wonder if you can just tell your doctor that you will be getting your dd's vaxs through public health and just leave it at that, give her what ever you want and delay what you want. Is he going to require you to prove that you got it or something?
#7 of 16 Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Might the issue for the doc be something clerical or administrative or space--if the child is older than the typical age for getting vax A or B, they may not have it in stock? Therefore, the Dept of Health route might just be because they always have the vaccines and not just when they anticipate needing them? I was at a very small practice and the vaccines and some medicines were kept in a fridge smaller than the one in my college dorm. "Fully stocked" for any occasion was not realistic. Just a guess.
#8 of 16 Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 AM

I wonder if this doc is actually going along with you, under the table.

Is it a solo practice or a group practice? If the latter, the group might have this policy, and he might be getting around it by "permitting" you to deal with the vaccines at the Dept of Health instead of at the office. He doesn't have control over what you do at the clinic, so he's not making you get those vaccines. It could be a wink-wink. I don't think he sounds actually anti-vaccines, but he may not carry a big stick about it. I don't see how he's got you in a bind, you can say "fine, we'll go to the clinic" and just don't go to to the clinic.

If you like the ped ok otherwise, I would probably just stick with him.

I know New York is draconian as hell about vaccines.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#9 of 16 Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 PM

I have trouble believing that they would refuse to give a shot if you decide you want it later on down the line.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#10 of 16 Old 04-18-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post

IMHO, I would not be getting ANY vaccines, and trying to find a family doctor who will see my kids. Refusing treatment because of vaccination status is one of the MANY tricks Dr's use that me. But I have a very big opinion about vaxxes in general, and there isnt anything that WOULD scare me into getting any of them.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#11 of 16 Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 PM

When I lived in NJ (I'm in NY now) I went to the dept of health for shots, because I had no health insurance. Our ped was sweet and barely charged us but would have at least had to charge us what she paid for the shots. With the dept of health 'twas free.

In fact my nearly 4yo daughter has only had a couple of vaxes. The ones I got from the DoH were way delayed (Dtap starting at 9 mos, 1 hib shot at 15 mos). They were fine with my delayed-ness, and seemed impressed that I was educated about the shots. Those are just the folks I happened to encounter, of course.

I'd seek a new pediatrician. Post a thread asking for recs in your area---hopefully there is someone who will work with slow vaxers!

Now about prevnar--it's not a required shot in NY, and it's very very new. Perhaps you have a family history of cervical cancer or something, which is why you're interested? If that's not the case I would skip that shot completely. I didn't even know 'twas now part of the vax "routine", but then I've never done the regular schedule so I wouldn't know.

Finally, make sure that, when/if you get a vax on a delayed schedule, whomever is giving the shot is certain about the proper dosage...it can be less or more for an older child. (The DoH doctor, a very nice man, almost gave my daughter an un-needed Hib booster. It only didn't happen because my ped had looked it up herself in the book and seen that at that age kids only need one dose, so I knew.)

Best wishes!
#12 of 16 Old 04-19-2010, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamsia View Post
Now about prevnar--it's not a required shot in NY, and it's very very new. Perhaps you have a family history of cervical cancer or something, which is why you're interested? If that's not the case I would skip that shot completely. I didn't even know 'twas now part of the vax "routine", but then I've never done the regular schedule so I wouldn't know.
Prevnar is for pneumococcal bacteria, I think that you are thinking of gardasil for cervical cancer.
#13 of 16 Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 PM

I live in Binghamton, and delayed vax till my youngest was 2 years old. When he turned 2 my regular Dr started making his appts to catch him up. I have had to take another of my children to health department for a shot for school when I couldnt get him in with our Dr quick enough. The health department I believe was even better, they made sure I understood what every shot was, and anything and everything that it entailed. I almost preferred them. I think your Dr is just trying to scare you, dont worry about it

A single mom, a student, and an aspiring midwife. Due with number 6 November 13th edd
#14 of 16 Old 04-20-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
Prevnar is for pneumococcal bacteria, I think that you are thinking of gardasil for cervical cancer.
And Prevnar - as well as Hep B - are, in fact, required for school entry in NYS.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/publications/2370.pdf

So unless the OP intends to homeschool, or request a religious exemption, she's going to have to consider both vaccines at some point.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#15 of 16 Old 04-20-2010, 04:06 PM

Prevnar is the one that did my son in. He had most of the "baby shots" in Guatemala before our adoption was final. But they don't do Prevnar there. So the doctor here wanted to "catch him up" to her schedule. He was a happy healthy baby who was beginning to eat solid foods. He had the first Prevnar and in exactly one week he had his first asthma attack. He also began vomiting all his food. Two months later he had the second Prevnar. That one landed him in the hospital with asthma. He became allergic to wheat, rye, barley, all dairy, anything with even a tiny amount of soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, ketchup, and apple juice. I'm sure there are others but that's all I can remember right now. It was horrible. What wasn't coming up one way was running out the other end. And the asthma was so bad he was on steroids 6 times a day, both oral and inhaled. He was put on previcid at only 8 months old just so he could hold some food down and stop the weight loss. He lost five pounds before we got it stopped. He has gradually been healing over the years. Now the only food that effects him is milk. It will still cause congestion if he drinks it two days in a row. He has really bad hyperactivity which many believe is also a reaction to the vaccine. But you can't get a doctor to say that is the problem for sure. I know that if he went to school they would put him on drugs to calm him down. We spend 3/4 of our homeschooling time trying to get him to focus. I wish I had never followed through with the vaccines once our adoption was final. He has not had another one since that second prevnar. And as long as I have something to day about it, he never will.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#16 of 16 Old 04-25-2010, 03:25 PM

He could have been being mean or he could have just been letting you know his policy on vaccinations. Perhaps he only vaccinates on schedule (I don't know why, but perhaps) and it blew his mind that you were trying to do something different. We were going to start vaccinations with the Dept of Health because we don't have insurance and it would be free there (in PA). The doctor would have given us the shots for free and just charged us the administration fee (for the Dept of Health or CDC or somebody to keep a computer record of lot #, etc). Maybe your doc was trying to threaten you with the Dept of Health, but I don't know that getting your shots from them would be bad, just another thing to do. Even when I asked the Dept when I was scheduling with them, they said that I didn't have to have them all on schedule (although they did strongly suggest it). I think they're just there to administer your shots, there's nothing that they can report you for because you don't have to have the shots to be a citizen, you just have to have them to enter school, etc. In other words, if you don't want to get the shots from the doctor OR the Dept, I don't think there's anything anybody can come after you for.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page