Any sliding scale/long-term payment plan midwives in Philly area? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-21-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If anyone knows of any resources or someone who might be able to point me in the right direction, please let me know. PMs welcome if you don't want to post here, of course.

I'm low-income, on Medicaid (which won't reimburse for homebirth, heck, I have trouble getting them to pay for ANYTHING) and a single mom trying to achieve a VBA2C. Doing this in the "system" feels like I'm swimming upstream. My ultrasound and perinatal consult today (ordered by my crazy doc, who is hell-bent on cutting me and trying to find any reason to deny me my right to VBAC) ended with the peri telling me I have a healthy baby and zero risk factors aside from being overweight (which hasn't presented a problem in either of my previous pregnancies) and having 2 previous sections (both low-transverse and double-sutured,) but agreeing with my OB that my chances of VBAC at either local hospital are basically zero because of policy. He actually laughed at the idea

I've wanted a homebirth the whole pregnancy, but once I became single and went back to living on one income, it quickly proved to be not-an-option financially. I don't have savings and there's nothing I could sell or cut way back on to afford this up-front, so I went the OB route and continue to regret it because they have nearly completely destroyed my faith in myself and in the pathetic OB/GYN/birth care that is available to low-income patients... the hospital that most low-income moms in my area delivers at has a 41% C-section rate!... but that's a whole other rant.

Anyway, I'm rambling... if anyone knows of a midwife in the area who might be flexible on the financial aspect, use a sliding scale or be willing to work out a long-term payment plan... please drop me a message. I am willing to travel (my last birth was an attempted HBAC with twins, using a midwife out of Baltimore, while I'm in the Philly suburbs, for instance.) I haven't made any calls yet because of my crazy work schedule (and a major fear of hitting even more brick walls here, honestly.)

TIA

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#2 of 9 Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 PM

Have you tried either Kathy Hindle/Janet Lewis with Midwifery Traditions or Barbara D'Amato with Valley Birthplace? Both deliver at Montgomery Hospital. I know for sure that Kathy doesn't take Medicaid, but she may be able to work something out with payment. What hospital here has the 41% c-section rate? I know the VBAC issue is insane in this area.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#3 of 9 Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Maybe Kate w/ Rising Moon Midwifery?

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#4 of 9 Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
Have you tried either Kathy Hindle/Janet Lewis with Midwifery Traditions or Barbara D'Amato with Valley Birthplace? Both deliver at Montgomery Hospital. I know for sure that Kathy doesn't take Medicaid, but she may be able to work something out with payment. What hospital here has the 41% c-section rate? I know the VBAC issue is insane in this area.
Lower Bucks Hospital. It mostly serves lower-income families, and I haven't run into a single OB there who isn't a pushy bully who relies on people being uneducated. They got vaguely threatening with me over rescheduling an appointment this week because obviously not being seen every four weeks, to have my belly jiggled and pee in a cup is a terrible endangerment of the baby

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#5 of 9 Old 04-27-2010, 12:56 PM

I don't know about homebirth midwives but have you tried the midwives at Pennsylvania Hospital? I've heard that they've attended vba2c in the past. I'm not sure about Medicaid but they are a city hospital. I think there is a doctor there that will attend vba2c. Let me know if you want his name. I know homebirth is your best option but it sounds like anything might be better than getting bullied by doctors at Lower Bucks.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#6 of 9 Old 04-29-2010, 02:06 PM

Send me a PM...I can probably help you find someone.

Homebirth Midwifing mama to five blessings in Northeastern PA.
#7 of 9 Old 05-05-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmidwife2b View Post
Send me a PM...I can probably help you find someone.
pm'd you!

#8 of 9 Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM

Wrote you back.

#9 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Were you able to work something out with one of the local midwives?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page