Save Home Birth in New York! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently had a home birth in NYC. I can't believe that this may soon be illegal. I just received the following message from my midwife. I thought I should share it here.

ACTION ALERT:

Save Home Birth in New York

We need your help!

At midnight tomorrow, April 30th, the majority of New York City's home birth midwives will no longer be able to practice legally. Unless immediate action is taken by the Governor and the NYS Department of Health the women that these midwives serve will be denied access to a home birth with their chosen provider and these providers will no longer be able to practice legally in NYS.

YOU MUST ACT NOW to save the home birth option for New York Women:
Call:
Wendy Saunders, Executive Deputy Commissioner for the NY State Department of Health, appointed by Governor Paterson. 518-474-8390
Larry Mokhiber, he Secretary of the Board of Midwifery (518-474-3817, extension 130)
And say....

With the closing of St. Vincent's Hospital, half of the licensed, highly trained home birth midwives serving NYC have lost their Written Practice Agreement (WPA). St Vincent's was the only Hospital in the city supportive of a woman's right to choose a home birth and willing to sign a WPA. In the weeks since it's announced closure, these midwives have reached out to hospitals and obstetricians all across the city looking for support, with no success. Please help us to save the homebirth option in New York.

People can also email the Governor at http://www.state.ny.us/governor/cont...ontactForm.php.

Please Join us! We need your help.

We are in our final hours! Please forward this email and help us flood 311 and the Governor's office with calls supporting home birth.

And while you're at it, please sign our petition supporting the Midwifery Modernization Act which will remove the WPA from the midwifery law effectively removing this barrier to accessing midwifery care.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/midwifery/

See NYSALM's fact sheet about what the Midwifery Modernization Act Means for You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-30-2010, 09:29 AM

I was just coming to post this! I'm planning my second HB in NYC with a fabulous midwife. I can't imagine what I would do if she was unable to attend my birth. I called the governor's office yesterday and sent an email as well.

I urge everyone one to take a few minutes to call or send an email. There are so many amazing, well-qualified midwives in NYC that give us the option of assisted hb, don't let that option be taken away.

''''

#3 of 5 Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I emailed the governor.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#4 of 5 Old 05-01-2010, 04:09 PM

I emailed the governor and I live in New Mexico! I believe there is no way that a woman can be denied the right to have a home birth with a midwife. Positive thoughts to the midwives that everything will work out in your favor!
#5 of 5 Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM

Hi, with which wonderful midwife in New York did you give birth? I'm back after working in South America, 6.5 months pregnant and all the midwifery practices are not taking patients. I'm trying to find a homebirth midwife who'll take my insurance or whom I can afford. Thanks. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page