Cheap, clean hotel in NYC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Near Central Park? With free parking nearby?? Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 01:39 PM

Maybe through priceline using the name your price function. The free parking part is non-existant. There os street parking throughout the city but you will have to compete with others for it. All around CP, there is lots of parking (but lots of cars also!).

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

What do New Yorkers do with their cars usually? My impression of parking in New York involves a Seinfeld episode and stories of friends who pay 500+ a month for parking. I don't even want to bring a car, but driving is cheaper than airfare...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:42 PM

I have a car in NYC and you have to search for a spot every single time, and it can take a long time depending on where you are. I would not own a car if I lived near Central Park. Parking in a lot costs a lost of money per day. We have a lot of parking rules so you have to read the signs VERY WELL every time you park or you could easily be hit with a $115 ticket for an innocent mistake.

I'm sorry I can't tell you any cheap clean hotels, I don't know of any! But I do know that in my neighborhood in particular (Park Slope Brooklyn, the best neighborhood in NYC) people will rent out their apartments when they go away for a price similar to a one room hotel.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:09 PM

I recently read about this site in the NY Times airbnb

People list their houses/apartments (either whole place or just rooms) for rent, and some of the NYC prices are much more reasonable than hotels (not sure about the parking part though).

I stayed at this boutique hotel in the spring. Certainly not inexpensive, but for NYC the rates were good I thought (we paid low $200's/night for 3 nights) Loved the neighborhood, only a few block walk from Central Park and many museums, and a 24-hour espresso/cappucino machine in the lobby Tiny rooms, but very nicely decorated and very comfy beds. Nice little French bistro within walking distance, and many other good restaurants. We didn't have to deal with parking though...
Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

OMG the Franklin looks goorgeous! Sadly, out of my price range.

We are pretty good at locating free street parking. It seems like the chain hotels are cheapest, so maybe I will do a priceline bid?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:14 PM

I'd really recommend that you look at apartments first-- you may be able to get a much better deal and for a much better set-up. In terms of free parking, I would focus on finding an area with more lenient rules, even if it's very far from your hotel, so that you don't have to move the car multiple times a day. You may even want to park in the East Village or further up Harlem or something like that and take a taxi/subway to your hotel.

Remember if you do priceline you can't really specify area that much (I don't think?) and the wrong area can really suck.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

I am loving the airbnb site!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Have you considered a hotel in the suburbs and taking the bus in? There is a Marriot in Teaneck the the bus I take into the city always stops at on it's way into the city. I'm sure there are other hotels that also have good bus service, you can call them and ask which buses stop by them.

I would not recommend trying for street parking in NYC. The spots when you finally find one is going to be much smaller than the spots you are likely to be used to parallel parking in. Also the signs can be extremely confusing. If you are late coming to move your car for the alternate side rules (even when you find a spot you will still have to move you car on a regular schedule which varies from street to street) you will get a $250 fine. You can even get towed.

Most New Yorker don't have cars. Those who do either pay for parking, leave their car with relatives who live in the suburbs, or spend most of their lives moving their car from spot to spot.

I don't even recommend driving in NYC for people who aren't used to it. Driving in NYC is just much much harder than in most places. Many suburbanites refuse to drive in the city at all. I had a very hard time convincing my sister who was on her way down from CT (she used to live there,) to stop by my apt in the Bronx (where DH and I used to live) that only took her 4 blocks off the Cross Bronx Expressway, on her way to a family thing at our parents house in NJ (which was where my car live at the time.)

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 PM

If you're going to use Priceline name your own price visit betterbidding.com first to learn the tricks. I just did some searching & bidding last weekend (for June 4-6) and got $140/nt at a 3.5* hotel in Midtown (near Rockefeller Center) that is now showing at $260/nt on regular travel sites.

What is "cheap" to you? What's your maximum price point? (Don't forget about hefty taxes!) What is the minimum quality level you will accept? Do you need privacy or is a hostel style accommodation an option?

This site can help you find the cheapest garage rates once you know more specifically where you will be staying. "(Near central park" encompasses a very large area.) http://nyc.bestparking.com/index.php You really don't want to have to spend your vacation moving your car around. Be willing to park not so close to your hotel (like up in 100s) and then take public transport back to the hotel. Most hotels have temporary parking at the door for unloading & check-in, so you won't have to drag your suitcases that whole time.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

For those of you who have concerns about us driving/parking in NYC, fear not. My husband has diven in crazy cities all over the world during rush hour, and has a golden horseshoe inserted into him when it comes to parking. He has driven in Cairo during rushour, Paris, London, Milan, Boston. He has nerves of Steel. Me on the other hand........well, let's just say it's a good thing he will be doing the city driving.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:02 AM

Honestly, I'd figure out if you can leave your car outside the city. You just don't want a car in the city. You can easily spend an hour looking for parking, only to have to move it a few hours later. It's just a huge expense and waste of time. I've lived in the city and outside the city (and commuted in), and do everything I can to avoid the hassle of a car in the city. If you do bring your car, plan to allocate a couple of hours per day to moving it, looking for parking and commuting to and from it. Also, you definitely won't want to be using a car to get from point to point in the city, public transportation is the way to go.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
OP, when i saw this thread i thought it was the one i had posted a few weeks ago, the title was almost the same!

i grew up in NYC but have lived in the deep south for years. i go back to visit regularly, but this is my first trip to manhattan since my dad died last year. we always went from NJ where he lived in to the city with him.

i was going to try to find a place to stay in midtown, but after seeing a commercial for homeaway.com on TV i found a house on staten island, where i lived for a few yrs as a kid. its not really all that close to st george, but its a few blocks from the train that will take us straight there, plus there are bus stops nearby.

its a 5 bed 3 bath home on the beach, with a swimming pool and hottub. indoors, there is a jetted tub in one of the bathrooms, and the landlord will allow my dog. its costing me less than 2 hotel rooms (group of 7) and had OFF STREET PARKING!!! lol

i highly recommend a vacation rental. if you really need to take your car, stay just outside manhattan and take a bus or train in. if you can leave your car elsewhere, then staying in manhattan is the way to go. have a great trip!

oh, just wanted to add that i learned to drive in the south where everyone is over 60yrs old and drives under 40 mph. i have driven in manhattan (and all over staten island in rush hour) and it wasnt too scary, but this time i've got new car with less than 10k miles on it instead of a rental so i dont wanna risk a scratch or dent.

Bring back the old MDC
Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 AM

i'm posting late on this but just wanted to suggest looking at hostels. many are very cheap, clean, and have family rooms.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:02 PM

I'm planning a trip for the crazy time (parade day). Just curious what you ended up doing?

We have done a hotel right near Macy's and also the apartment in the past.

I can't decide what to do this year.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipworth View Post
What do New Yorkers do with their cars usually? My impression of parking in New York involves a Seinfeld episode and stories of friends who pay 500+ a month for parking. I don't even want to bring a car, but driving is cheaper than airfare...
New Yorkers who live in Manhattan don't usually have cars because they don't need cars.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:59 PM

I want to recommend the Hyatt in Jersey City.

First, you have the BEST VIEW! and there's a train right there that will get you to world trade in 4 minutes. You will have an easier time parking and there's still life in jc - so you could have a fancy dinner at 1/2 the cost.

Also possibly staying in brooklyn or queens close to manhattan but not in manhattan would solve problems of driving/parking and would give you more value for you money.

Heather (33) married to DH (28) since 2/10. #1 due 5/11
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 AM

It's been a while since we've been there, but my we have stayed at the Beacon Hotel on the Upper West Side a couple times. It was reasonably priced, just a couple blocks from Central Park, a quieter area. I think parking would be much more do-able in this area--can't tell you about parking prices.

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.
Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Oooh! Looks like the prices have gone up at the Beacon somewhat since their renovation, but still not unreasonable for NYC. I have heard people talking about the Pod further downtown. It might be something to check into. Good luck.

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.
Benjamin Franklin

User Tag List