Moving to UWS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am relocating to UWS (from Essex County NJ) with my three children, post divorce. I have a bunch of questions about living the city so if you can answer any of them I would be completely appreciative:

1. Non-vax friendly pediatrician
2. Any insight on PS 87
3. Where do you shop besides the Whole Foods in Columbus Circle - anyway to get organic produce delivered in winter months?
4. Fun, FREE things to do with the kids in the summer (not enough time for summer camp registration)
5. The best gym w/pool in the area (west 70s - but willing to travel a bit)
6. Any insight on preschools?
7. Where do you swim with kids?
8. Sports teams for kids (little league, soccer, t-ball?)
9. What do Mamas do when their kids are at school besides laundry?

I plan on doing a lot more of my own research but we are moving next month and I know I am already behind on getting things for the fall. Any info - I would love.

Thanks Mamas!
Keisha
#2 of 7 Old 05-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Hi Ileifa, I'm just now expecting my first, so I can't help with many of your questions, but I did want to quickly say "welcome to the neighborhood!!" The UWS is really a great area - I've been living here for about 4 years now, and I love it!
I can give you a little input on your question about food shopping. Besides the Whole Foods at Columbus Circle, and the other (new and a bit less crowded) one at 97th and Columbus Ave, there is also a new Trader Joe's opening up soon right by Lincoln Center. If you want some more locally-owned "health food store" type options, there is Gary Null's Health Food and Health Nuts (though those are a bit north for you). The old standbys are Zabars and Fairway, but both of these are usually terribly crowded.

I know of one major produce delivery option in the city (not counting Fresh Direct or other general grocery delivery options) - it's called Urban Organics. They do deliver organic produce year-round.

For nice (and local) produce, I also recommend the NYC Greenmarkets. You can find a listing and schedules for markets on their website. Some of the Greenmarkets are year-round (though produce in winter is limited to things like apples and onions, because their farmers are required to only sell locally-grown items).

CSAs are another good food option - the Just Food website has a map of CSA locations around the city. Some of them are probably already fully booked for the summer, so you may have to call around.

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#3 of 7 Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM

If you're not doing summer camp, I would recommend a membership or two. We have a bunch and it is great being able to just go and do stuff with out really worrying about cost (much cheaper than summer camp.)

The Natural History museum is on the UWS. Membership to the NH is reciprocated at some other area museums (I just used it this weekend at the Newark Museum.) If you can't afford the membership though, general admission is a suggested donation though, so you can give less.

The Met is on the other side of the park, but still convenient. The membership also includes the Cloisters. Again though, admission is a suggested donation, so you can give what you want.

The central park zoo is part of the Wildlife Conservation Society. It is a long but pleasant walk from the UWS. Membership to the zoo is a bit expensive, but it includes all the NYC zoos and the aquarium (except for the small one on Staten Island.)

We moved out to the suburbs a few years ago, but when we lived in the city, Fairway was where I went for a larger selection. My MIL also took me shopping in china town a lot.

You will need a good cart to bring you groceries home. A nice tough one that will stand up to being lugged up and down stairs is worth paying for. This sort of thing. I'm not recommending mail ordering though, you should find one already assembled to buy in the city, so you can judge size and sturdiness.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#4 of 7 Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 AM

I grew up in what didn't used to be considered the UWS (too upper) but is now. I am moving back in the fall. I'm looking forward to it!

met and amnh are free, well, "pay what you wish" museums. Just fyi. And air conditioned in summer.

fairway is great. if you go at off times it shouldn't be too crowded. Lots of neighborhood CSAs, there is Fresh Direct, and years ago I got the "Urban Organic" delivery box during the winter (but I lived on 204th street and couldn't easily get organic produce at my local shop).

I've heard that the JCC has a great pool and you won't be far from the westside Y either. I can't afford the JCC so I've never been, but heard rave reviews.

There are tons of free concerts and things all over the city in the summer. Free classes, tours, etc. Lincoln center, downtown, central park, bryant park, etc. There are usually lists and brochures that come out with the events on them.

I don't know what mamas do when their kids are at school. My kids are too young for me to have experienced that, plus I work from home.

Check out the toxic and obnoxious site urban baby if you want school info.

dissertating mom to three

#5 of 7 Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 AM

oh and Tip Top shoes is the BEST. And the Town Shop (for bras). I wait until I am in NYC to go to those stores.

dissertating mom to three

#6 of 7 Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! It seems a little surreal to be moving from NJ to the city but exciting at the same time. I love all the suggestions and I appreciate them! I will check in when we move to hopefully meet some new Mamas in the neighborhood.
#7 of 7 Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 AM

Ok, so we definitely need to be friends!

I too am moving into the city, probably the uws this summer. I live in florida now, but am from nj originally, haven't lived in the city in ten years, and am post divorce.

How old are your little ones? Im realizing that the school situation is a complete mess. P.s. 87 was one of the choices on my list for great schools, but my son is due into kindergarten, and it seems like I would have a better chance of getting him into harvard this fall. Seems like since we've missed the original registration dates since we don't have a city address yet that it's kind of a crap shoot as to where he'll actually go to school (despite where www are zoned)

Definitely pm me and we'll share info!

Michele

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page