New to Princeton, NJ and due in July! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone.

I just moved to the Princeton, NJ area, and my husband and I are expecting our first child at the end of July.

I have yet to purchase any baby items, due to the move, and am now ready to starting picking things up. Where are good used children's shops? I'm originally from western Michigan, and there, quarterly, there is a huge expo-type event held at a big arena for used kids' stuff. Is there anything like that here, or within driving distance?

Thank you,
Meg
#2 of 12 Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 PM

Welcome! I'm in Ewing, so not too far from you.

I've never heard of anything like the expo you describe, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I'm not too tuned in to stuff like that these days, so I'm unlikely to have heard of it even if there is one.

So I'm probably not much help. But I didn't want to miss the chance to say hi!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 12 Old 05-22-2010, 09:25 AM

Milk Money on Tulane St. in Princeton is a children's consignment store and I've gotten some good deals there (though I've heard there are problems with the owner when consigning your own stuff...) but the selection is limited. It's worth a peek in every now and again, though.

Also, there is a consignment store in Flemington (not too far from Princeton) called We Kids of Flemington that you can try.

There are occasional kids consigment market-type events that pop up...there are actually more of those in Bucks County, PA (right over the bridge) than on the NJ side of the river in these parts.

And, it's not a thrift store/consigment shop, but I have to plug Jane @ QuirkyBaby.com for baby carriers. She runs a local babywearing group and sells carriers out of her home in Princeton, as well as online and on her facebook page.

Welcome to the area!
#4 of 12 Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Welcome to the area! There are seasonal, mobile consignment sales in the area ... but the ones I've heard of are in the spring and fall. I've heard good things about the Flemington market; also, we have some great thrift shops in the area, such as Red White and Blue in Mercerville. http://redwhiteandbluethriftstore.com

Do you know if you're having a girl or a boy? My husband and I are expecting our first (a girl) the end of June, and I'm starting to feel the pressure myself! So much to do!

Best wishes!
#5 of 12 Old 05-24-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll be sure to check most of them out.

I'm not sure if we are having a boy or girl, but we are excited either way.
#6 of 12 Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 PM

Like most people said, they have sales like that in the spring and fall. Most in PA but one in Flemmington (huge!) and a new one in Pennington.

One other thing is keep an eye on the ads in the paper. Local churches have thrift sales and sometimes even kid sales. They can be at any time. And of course there are yard sales if you are into that kind of thing. People usually specify if they have children's items and the age range. You can also keep an eye out on Freecycle, people tend to give away children's items but you have to be pretty quick responding.

Good Luck!
#7 of 12 Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 PM

As mentioned, garage sales can be a good source. When my daughter was in daycare she'd go through clothes like they were nothing (crafts) so we had to get lots of clothes really cheap to compliment the ones we spent $ on.

Local schools have sales seemingly a few times a year so keep an eye out in newspapers and join local networks.

We also have sold some of our stuff on Craigslist so there or Freecycle can be a good source as well.
#8 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 PM

I just came across this event happening next weekend......

Used Toy & Clothing Sale -- and lots more too!

The Family Breastfeeding Association (FBA) will be having our annual benefit yard sale on Saturday, June 5 from 8AM to 3PM and Sunday, June 6 from 9AM until we drop! Our sale is held as part of Hopewell's borough-wide yard sale -- so you will find MANY, MANY sales throughout town.

We have recieved many wonderful donations, including kids clothes, games, large toys, strollers, bikes, etc... We also have lots of the "usual" yard sale fare - such as housewares, books, movies, furniture, etc...

Our items are all PRICED TO SELL and 100% of the proceeds goes to support the FBA, which provides support and encouragement to nursing moms and their familes. For more information about us, please visit www.familybreastfeeding.org.

DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, AND ARE BEING ACCEPTED THROUGH MAY 30TH. Donations are tax-deductible and may be dropped off at the address below anytime.
Time : 8:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Date : June 5, 2010 - June 6, 2010
93 West Prospect Street
Hopewell NJ 08525
#9 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 04:29 PM

oooh... thanks for posting that, LianasMom! We go to the Hopewell townwide sale every year, so I'll be sure to check this one out!

Here's a useful site (also check PA sales since it's so close):
http://www.kidsconsignmentguide.com/

Has anyone been to the Growing Place in Yardville/Hamilton? I haven't but I'm curious. They have a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=88556372146).
#10 of 12 Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions. We will be checking out the Hopewell sale in a few minutes. (My internet was down for a few days, so I just found out - though this morning was already fun filled with the NJ DMV).
#11 of 12 Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM

Hi Meg -

I just wanted to mention a semi-annual kids consignment event not too far from you (they have sales each Spring and Fall). I work in Princeton and exclusively shop this event (because it is the best I have found)...it is called Best Dressed for Less (http://www.bestdressedsale.com) and is located in Burlington Township NJ. This sale is about 25 minutes south of Princeton (down 295) - but well worth the drive. This event is the largest of its kind in South (Central) New Jersey has more than 250 consignors and 20,000 items. They also have a first time moms pre-sale where you can sign up for a pass to shop before the sale is open to the public (if you have a baby under 1 year or are expecting at sale time you can register for a pass). I think their next sale is not until the Fall but you still might be able to find some things you need (after your baby is born).

Good luck!
#12 of 12 Old 08-20-2010, 10:40 AM

Just saw a big consignment sale advertised in Bryn Athyn, PA (right near where I grew up in Huntingdon Valley, PA) and remembered this thread. We live in Pennington, now, so Bryn Athyn isn't that far a drive (30-40 min). More info is here: www.cozytots.org

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page