Mothering Forum banner

Doula AND class recommendations in Brooklyn/NYC?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  KikaKika 
#1 ·
I'm expecting my first child come January. I already have a midwife but I'd like to hire a doula, too, as long labors tend to run in my family (only my Mom missed this) and I have quite a few health issues, so the extra support would be more than welcome.

Preferably, I'd like to find a doula who I could also hire for postpartum support as well and ideally either someone with a little bit of breastfeeding expertise as well or a completely separate lactation consultant. Really, really want help in that area, just to try and make sure things go smoothly.

Also, my DF and I want to take childbirth classes, but I'm not quite sure what type yet. Any advice on that front would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Birthday Presence has classes (and I believe doulas) - I haven't used them personally (we are doing Hypnobabies homestudy and haven't decided about a doula yet)

I also think Real Birth now has a location in Park Slope @ the new Tribeca Pediatrics office on 5th avenue.

Have you asked your m/w for recommendations for either? I know that I was given a list at my first m/w appointment.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by faeriecurls View Post
Birthday Presence has classes (and I believe doulas) - I haven't used them personally (we are doing Hypnobabies homestudy and haven't decided about a doula yet)

I also think Real Birth now has a location in Park Slope @ the new Tribeca Pediatrics office on 5th avenue.

Have you asked your m/w for recommendations for either? I know that I was given a list at my first m/w appointment.

Good luck!
Thanks for the rec's.

My midwife did give me a list. I kind of wanted to see if any of the names would match up and, if they did, what the everyone's honest opinions were.

#4 ·
There is also the NYC Doula Coop/With Woman Doula Coop. They have doulas w/ a variety of experiences, services and fees.

My friend is part of it and she offers post partum services and is starting to offer birth classes as well. Can't help but giver her a shout out! I think she's pretty competitively priced because she's starting out: http://www.marycatherinehamelin.com/

There is info on her doula services and birth classes on there.

#5 ·
Also, just wanted to add the NYC Doula Coop and my friend Mary Catherine offer classes focusing on a variety of things from types of birth options in the city to actual birth classes. They are an invaluable source of information!

#7 ·
You might find Hypnobabies class interesting - it is a complete childbirth education class with a wonderful addition of childbirth hypnosis (medical hypnosis). I think hypnosis for childbirth is still one of the least utilized tools for birth. There are a lot of moms here on Mothering that used it, and they wrote their birth stories. I first heard about it here...

Instructor from this website: http://www.HypnobabiesNYC.com/ (or just Google "Hypnobabies NYC") is also a Hypno-doula, and offers breastfeeding classes.
This class is awesome for birth partners as well, it prepares them for everything.

Have fun preparing and of course, have the most amazing birth!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.