UWS vs Park Slope? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am moving to NY end of September and have narrowed it down to these two areas as great areas for a mom and a little guy to be while dad works insane hours at a law firm in midtown. I am drawn to the convenience of the UWS as far as getting out and meeting other moms and families and I kind of feel somewhat safer with a high rise and doorman. However, we really like the Park Slope area and it seems like it might have all of the convenience with a lot more square footage. Am I right in my interpretation? I do worry about not feeling as safe at home alone at night in a smaller apartment complex or townhouse.
So, any advice you might have on what area would be best for a new mom and little guy who have a daddy that works in midtown that they would like to see every now and then Any and all input is welcome. Educate me!

married to my love , in love with MJ born 1/18/10 and PJ born 4/6/12 waterbirth.jpg and now due with a surprise 11/14!
#2 of 3 Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I lived on the border of the UWS/Morningsifde Heights for about a year and I've lived in Park Slope for 10 years and LOVE it... there are definitely doormen buildings here if you want that. Definitely will get more space for your $ (even though you will still be paying a lot ) and there are lots of ways to meet other families.

The commute isn't bad, depending on which trains are closest - 2/3 is express and gets you to midtown (west side) pretty quickly. I have taken the F and transferred to the B/D to get to Grand Central in about 35 minutes during rush hour. It's all pretty doable.

It's also quieter here.

I never thought I would actually like Brooklyn when I moved here, but now I really love it and am okay without living in Manhattan!

Erica
DD September 2010, m/c October 2009
#3 of 3 Old 06-29-2010, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
look into Sunnyside, Queens--closer to midtown than Park Slope & it's teeming with families.

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page