pediatrician in Cherry Hill, NJ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for a pediatrician who is very knowledgeable and good at making diagnoses but will be respectful of my choice of treatment 

#2 of 20 Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to FYT

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 20 Old 07-01-2010, 10:10 AM

I can tell you who to avoid... Advocare in Marlton (the one on 73).

I just switched back to the original practice we were in... CHOP Faculty Practice in Philadelphia. It's at 38th & Market so you just hop 295 South over the Walt up 76. It takes about 20 minutes and the care is exceptional. I will say, that I don't know their policy on vaccines. I know my pediatrician has no issues with delayed or separated vacs but I don't know her opinion about not vaccing at all. Her name is Dr. Siegel and their number is 215-590-2178 if you are interested.

Edited to add - I'm in Cherry Hill too - welcome to the neighborhood. It's a lovely place to live and raise a family.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#4 of 20 Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 PM

We used to go to CHOP Faculty Practice and were asked to leave for not vaccinating on schedule. We were told that they no longer allow families to set their own vax schedules- it was the AAP schedule or go elsewhere. It was sad for us, too- we really liked our doc and they were great re: breastfeeding support and co-sleeping. But we weren't about to go with the AAP vax schedule.

There is a guy in Cherry Hill that is supposed to be pretty good and open minded. I believe it's Dr. Ibay. Hopefully someone else can chime in with their recs.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#5 of 20 Old 07-02-2010, 09:07 AM

My friend, who's a no-vax naturopath, recommended Kressville. It's where she takes her kids when necessary.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#6 of 20 Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 AM

Oh Modern - I'm sorry to hear that. That makes me sad

We had no choice in vaccines as our son was required to have them before they would let him enter the US (we adopted him from Guatemala). He tolerated them well so we kept him on schedule (though we considered spacing them out).

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#7 of 20 Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 PM

We use Cherry Hill Pediatrics, have only been using them for about a year when the drive to our old Ped in Roxborough just got to be too much. My son is 5 now and I chose to delay and selective vax and I chose Cherry Hill Peds at the recommendation of a friend who said they were non-vax friendly. So far I have had no issues with the Docs but the nurses can give a little attitude about it but it doesn't bother me. The nurses are old enough to be my grandmother so I attribute their attitude to their age and just ignore it. There are three doctors, two women and one man. I prefer Dr. Rubin, she just seems to click the best with my son and I so when we have a choice we see her. The great thing about this practice is that on off hours you can always page the doctor on call and the doctor always calls back quickly. They are also open on Saturday and Sunday for sick visits. We live in Haddonfield so we are close to Cherry Hill too. Let me know if you need more info!
#8 of 20 Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info. I guess the best way to find someone I like is to go in and meet them.

#9 of 20 Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

o and I'm also looking for a midwife in the area.

#10 of 20 Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momala View Post
thanks for the info. I guess the best way to find someone I like is to go in and meet them. I think I'll go meet both Cherry Hill Peds and Kressville. I anyway pretty much just go in when my daughter isn't feeling well, not much for well visits... Do you know if either one has an alternative approach to care if a child is ill, or do they always recommend antibiotics?

Cherry Hill Peds very rarely, in fact has never, prescribed antibiotics for my son. He has been in for a couple of ear infections, virus type things and happily they have never prescribed antibiotics. That is one of the things I really like about them.
#11 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I read a bunch of bad reviews online about Cherry Hill Peds. Ppl were writing that the docs are impersonal, no bedside manner, rough with the kids and that toys and waiting room is dirty and always long wait time. Is this anything you are familiar with? Did you feel you connected with doc and that doc connected with your kids?
#12 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momala View Post
I read a bunch of bad reviews online about Cherry Hill Peds. Ppl were writing that the docs are impersonal, no bedside manner, rough with the kids and that toys and waiting room is dirty and always long wait time. Is this anything you are familiar with? Did you feel you connected with doc and that doc connected with your kids?
I read those too, not until long after we went. I don't really like the male doctor there at all, but I do like the two female doctors a lot. I don't find the place dirty at all. Its not a brand new building or anything but its not dirty at all. I was pretty surprised at some of the reviews actually.
#13 of 20 Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 PM

hey mamas, I was wondering if in general anyone can speak more towards what it's like to live in Cherry Hill...thinking of a move there...

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#14 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambQueen View Post
hey mamas, I was wondering if in general anyone can speak more towards what it's like to live in Cherry Hill...thinking of a move there...
From where?

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#15 of 20 Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Depends on the neighbors Seriously, I love living here. The services afforded children are amazing (my son has special needs). The schools are some of the top in the State. The taxes are high but you absolutely get what you pay for. The city plows quickly after snow storms, we get "paid" to recycle (you get points per pound which can be redeemed for gift cards, coupons, etc), any dealings I've had with local government have been wonderful. I had a problem with some neighborhood kids painting signs and sidewalks with spray paint. The city was out in 24 hours and cleaned my walk and replaced the signs. I live on the border of east and west - 2 miles from 2 different train stations, 2 minutes from 295, 3 minutes from Route 70, 15 minutes from Center City Philadelphia (20-25 in rush hour), 40 minutes from the shore.

The down side is there is a lot of wealthy folks and keeping up with the Jones can be a favorite past time for many of them. I just avoid those kinds of people.

#16 of 20 Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 AM

nyc

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#17 of 20 Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Lamb - my DH is in real estate so if you need help finding a place, let me know. There is a beautiful house around the corner from me that has been for sale for a while. You could probably get it for a steal. I love my neighborhood. It's fairly diverse, has many families of children of various ages and is kinda hidden away. I know people who grew up in Cherry Hill that didn't know this area existed.

#18 of 20 Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
nyc
Well, if you already drive in NYC, the traffic won't bug you, but the lack of public transit will. If you don't drive, the traffic may take a bit getting used to. It's a somewhat congested area, but not too bad.

I grew up in a more rural area in South Jersey, but went to college in DC, lived in Philly, then in NYC for 6 years (Village, then Astoria). It was a bit of an adjustment in terms of restaurants and stuff, but not too bad. We specifically picked an older, smaller, walkable town because that's what we liked about NYC. NYC is so neighborhood-oriented, that although we kind of moved to "Mayberry," we don't feel that much isolated and really feel settled in a neighborhood like we did in NY. We're right next to Cherry Hill, too. PM me if you want more details.

The other thing is that, depending on where you go in Cherry Hill, you can be in Philly relatively quickly, if you need an urban fix. We actually cross the bridge to go to the farm market every Sunday, and I had my daughter in a Philadelphia hospital.

#19 of 20 Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 PM

We live in Collingswood, very near Cherry Hill, and though I don't know Cherry Hill well, Cwood seems smaller, more walkable, more main street and "Mayberry" like staceychev said. It's idyllic, very close to Philly, closer than many Philly suburbs on the other side, and right on the PATCO into Philly. PM me for more gushing about our town. I love it - have lived in New Orleans, Providence, Boston burbs, and Philly, and this is pretty awesome for being a mama...
#20 of 20 Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 PM

I would recommend Kressville. My 3-year-old has been going there since birth and she isn't vaccinated. They made me sign a paper at her first visit and that's it. Have never said one word to me. Before she was born I interviewed with Dr. Hill. She was nice but when I asked about no vacs she gave me a little bit of an attitude about it. I just avoid well visit appointments with her. I really like Dr. Mohazzebi and his son and Dr. Ibay. She is great! My daughter wasn't tolerating formula and after giving her every formula out there, I decided to make my own formula with goat's milk and when I told Dr. Mo he was great about it. He wanted to see the ingredients and said it was fine as long as I made sure there was iron in it and that I didn't just give her plain goat's milk. BTW, I couldn't breast feed because my milk didn't come in.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page