NJ help get our own version of the mma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-02-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies I am trying to get NJ to pass it's own version of NY's midwifery modernization act. I have been in contact with my rep (dist 38) Robert Gordon. I have spoken to his office twice so far and hope to have a follow-up this summer. He has agreed that this issue needs to be looked into it further and he is sending it into the research division, which looks at it's feasibility, laws in other states, effects ect. They told me this part takes some time but I should hear from them again towards the end of summer.

I ask that all of you contact your reps., maybe if enough of them show interest in this we can get something going. I know it has been up for debate in the past, but I am hoping we can use the press around the NY bill for a bit of added momentum this time around.

Please pass this on to anyone you know who might be interested.

DS 4/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-02-2010, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You may know this already, but in the NY MMA effort, we learned that making appointments to visit our legislators was incredibly effective. Something about people actually taking the time to make an appointment and then go sit down with the legislator with facts, figures, studies, etc. but also personal stories of the importance of midwifery care to them really got through to these folks.

I was in a very effective meeting which was me (a constituent and homebirth mom), another similar family, and a very well informed birth activist to answer technical questions about the bill. So I think an effective strategy is to identify constituents who support the proposed legoslation in as many districts as possible, and then make a concerted effort to visit each rep. This of course in addition to a general emailing and calling effort.

Of course you are at a far more preliminary stage, but just what I learned...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page