midwife in camden or burlington county/south jersey - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I read probably every post about midwives in the area and couldn't find anyone in Cherry Hill/ Voorhees or Camden/ Burlington counties. Any ideas?
Thanks so much for your help!
#2 of 8 Old 07-08-2010, 10:11 AM

I crossed the bridge to Pennsylvania Hospital and used the Penn Midwifery practice. It's actually closer to me than Voorhees.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#3 of 8 Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

thanks
can you tell me more about that midwifery group. What is their philosophy? 

#4 of 8 Old 07-09-2010, 05:06 PM

No personal experience but I believe the former ICAN leader in South Jersey VBACed with Bobbi when she was at Kennedy. Elmer won't allow VABCs.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#5 of 8 Old 07-09-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I guess to clarify, I had a vaginal birth
#6 of 8 Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 PM

I liked them... they're probably about halfway between "medwives" and a homebirth midwife in terms of philosophy. They had me seeing a maternal fetal medicine doc because of my age and thyroid condition, but were supportive of the fact that I declined most screenings other than the ultrasound. They don't require an ultrasound even, if you don't want one. Generally, I really liked them. The big issue is that there are several of them, so you don't know who you'll get at birth. I actually had Estella (who has since moved out of state), who I had never met before. She was amazing. I also really liked Vikki a lot. She was the one who scheduled my induction, but wanted me to go home and take castor oil so I wouldn't have to use pit. She also picked up on my posterior babe and had me doing positions at home to turn her. (Worked--my L&D was four hours beginning to end!)

They are required as part of their group to schedule an induction at 42 weeks (I know because mine was scheduled until DD decided to show up at 41+2).

I didn't look into Voorhees, because it's actually faster to go to Philly from my home. It took me an hour to get to Virtua during rush hour when my nephew was born. I also didn't know of any midwife who was a guarantee. My sis used Garden State OB/Gyn, and they have a midwife on staff, but she's in rotation with all the docs. At Penn Midwifery, the doc patients are separate from the midwife patients so you're guaranteed to work with a midwife unless there's a medical issue during labor that requires you to be transferred to a doc's care.

Penn Midwifery: http://www.pennmedicine.org/obgyn/se...ahosp/cnm.html

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#7 of 8 Old 07-10-2010, 12:05 PM

Oops! Sorry! I misinterpretted that. Are you saying Elmer is too far (I'm not sure if both hospitals are too far or just Montgomery) If Elmer is not too far, why not try Patty Madden or Karen Shields at Elmer? I called Elmer a while and they described themselves as more of a birthing center. I believe they do water birth as well. My aunt had two "failure to progress" c-sections with the Penn midwives. Her kids are 11 and 6 though so it sounds like they've gotten better (maybe it was just the particular midwife on call when she went into labor).

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#8 of 8 Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

a

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page