All womens health in Flemington Nj and the Hunterdon Medical center - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-11-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am about 8 weeks pregnant and I really want to have a natural birth with a midwife.My first labor was terrible(17 hours without the epidural,no support,all the medication that hospital could give me- Pitocine tc.)After 17 hours with a contractions every 2 minutes and only 5 cm I gave up.I don't want the same thing to happen again.I have an appointment with a midwife from All women's health in Flemington and they do deliver in the Hunterdon medical center.Does anyone have any experience with them or the hospital ,and how are they doing with the natural births??

mom to DS 3 and DD 4 monthsnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#2 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 AM

Hi - did you end up going with All Women's Health? I am now 6 weeks pregnant and am interested in going with them for a natural birth. Did you choose them? If so, what has been your experience thus far? Thanks!

#3 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

yes I did and I love them!!!All the Midwives are wonderful.You feel like you are a part of the family not the patient.It takes me 35 minutes to get there but it doesn't matter.The nurses and every one that works there is sooo nice.I spend 30 minutes on every appointment taking with the midwives about everything and they do listen..

mom to DS 3 and DD 4 monthsnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#4 of 17 Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 AM

Great news! I have an appointment with them coming up so great to hear. Blessing with everything!

#5 of 17 Old 11-24-2010, 11:56 AM

I just delivered recently at Hunterdon Medical Center and have nothing but wonderful things to say about my experience there.  The nurses were incredibly supportive of natural birth, and even helped advocate for me with my doctor. (I was being induced, but really wanted to avoid pitocin - the nurses were so helpful in putting forth an argument for just breaking my water and stripping my membranes first.  It worked!)  The hospital itself was also great.  All the rooms are spacious and private, the food was good, and there was even a harpist who played in the hallways each afternoon.  My labor went really quickly, so I didn't have a chance to use the jacuzzi, but it is available.

Good luck!

#6 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Thank you for the information. This is quite encouraging! So nice to hear other women's perspectives and experiences. I go in for an appointment at All Women's Health in a couple weeks so I will post about my impression and experience here.

#7 of 17 Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

yes,it's good to hear that you are happy with the HMC and the nurses that work there.I heard that they have a mini fridge in each room-how do they feel about eating during the labor?were you allowed to eat something or drink?>??  for how long you had to stay in the hospital?also did they take the baby from you after the birth or you could spend some time with your child before they did all the tests??and the pushing part-did you have to lay down on the bed or you could change the positions???

dkranker-let me know how was your appointment!!

#8 of 17 Old 12-01-2010, 12:11 PM

I toured HMC a couple years ago (I took HypnoBirthing there).  They have incredible birthing rooms (you stay in the same room the whole time though including post partum).  They are HUGE!  They do have mini fridges in there and the nurse/ childbirth educator did say they encouraged eating/drinking in labor.  That might depend on your particular care provider but she sent her daughters to birth with the midwives of All Women's Health Care.  The beds contort into all sorts of great positions for easier birthing.  They were also willing (as of 3 years ago so things might have changed!) to do intermittent monitoring on VBACs (so it shouldn't be a problem for non-VBAC births).  They also have a beautiful laboring tub on the unit.  I have a friend who did complain that they took her baby after birth so that might be something to ask about.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#9 of 17 Old 12-01-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsey1987 View Post

yes,it's good to hear that you are happy with the HMC and the nurses that work there.I heard that they have a mini fridge in each room-how do they feel about eating during the labor?were you allowed to eat something or drink?>??  for how long you had to stay in the hospital?also did they take the baby from you after the birth or you could spend some time with your child before they did all the tests??and the pushing part-did you have to lay down on the bed or you could change the positions???

I think a lot depends on your provider.  I ended up having a fairly conservative doctor (who was actually really great), so my experience was probably different than that of women with midwives.  There are mini fridges in each room, and although I was encouraged to drink during labor, I don't think my doctor would have allowed me to eat. (I honestly had no desire to eat anything, so the topic never came up.)  I stayed two nights in the hospital after the birth, which I think is pretty standard.  My baby was put on my chest immediately after the birth, but yes, he was briefly taken away for tests after a few minutes.  He was in the room the whole time that I was being stitched up, and although the nurses offered to have me hold him, I was too afraid of flinching while getting stitches, and so my husband held him until I was finished.  The nurses encouraged us to start breastfeeding as soon as I was ready, and they were really helpful in getting us started. 

I was allowed to change positions during labor, although I was honestly so exhausted at that point that I wanted to stay in bed.  I would push and then immediately pass out until the next contraction started and I woke up and felt the need to push again.  The bed does come apart and there are squat bars available if you want to use one. 

#10 of 17 Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 AM

I just had my appointment with All Women's Healthcare (I'm 8 weeks along) and really liked them. The office was friendly and the midwife I saw, Barbara Labrie was quite friendly and very patient with all my questions. I never felt rushed and felt like she was really listening. I appreciated her description of their views: she said they encourage natural methods but certainly work with any situation or any patient's needs or desires. She encourages women to be active in understanding their bodies and what they are experiencing during labor. Since they are located right in the hospital medical center area, they are very familiar with the hospital and have a great relationship with the hospital. She said they encourage their patients to drink and eat and walk around during labor. I asked what would lead her to refer a patient to an ob and she said they typically share care with the obs in the office if a patient proved to be high risk or have a lot of complications and certainly they would refer care to the ob for a c-section at the hospital. But overall, my impression was that they would continue to manage your care, unless you were really sick with other complications (e.g., out of control blood pressure or diabetes, etc.) and even then the mid-wife would likely co-manage care with the ob.

I really liked the office and what others have said and I feel positive about the hospital as well. I have a follow-up sonogram and appointment in the coming weeks and can let you know more!

#11 of 17 Old 12-08-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

I am very surprise she told you that they encourage their patients to eat during the labor-she told me that eating is not allowed so I need to eat at home because I wont be able to do it in the hospital.She said that drinking is ok but they don't let you eat.
I agree that she is a very good midwife,I had my appointment with her on monday.When we asked her about a wit K shot(we don't want our baby to receive any vaccines and Vit K shot) she was very helpful and said she will make a few phone calls to make sure that the vit K drops are in the pharmacy (we want to use the drops).What I really like about the Hunterdon Medical Center is that a mom and the baby stay in the same room for the whole time-she said that they do all the tests( blood work etc) in the room so mom can watch the baby.the ultrosound technician is very nice,she always tells us what she's doing and she will give you a few pictures of the baby.The nurses are very nice,they do all the blood work in the office.I have never waited for longer than 10 minutes to see a doctor.
Ohh and my favorite midwife is Judy-you need to see her-she is wonderful.
Dkranfer-let us know how was your ultrasound !

#12 of 17 Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 AM

Thanks! Now that I recall, she may have just said they encourage drinking, not eating. I'm seeing Judy for my next appointment!

#13 of 17 Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I had my baby a week ago and I can't say enough good things about the hospital and the midwives.Everyone was so wonderful.Barbara L delivered my baby and she was amazing.She did everything she could to help me with the pain,she was very helpful and I just love herlove.gif.I was her only patient so she spent a lot of time with me,helping and doing all she could.She gave me some chicken broth,she broth me some jello and juices.I felt like she was There for me.The hospital nurses were amazing,they took a great care of me and the baby.I didn't feel like I was in the hospital-I felt like I was at home.love.gifIf I ever have more kids,I will have them with the same midwives and the same hospital-I have a wonderful experience and I will recommend them to everyone.
Thank you All Women's healther !!!!

#14 of 17 Old 11-27-2011, 02:30 PM

DON'T GOTO THIS CENTER!

When the 1st moment you walk into it, you will be attracted by all the nice atmosphere...then you got yourself into a lottery trap!

I joined them because I had the above feeling...then I lost my 1st pregnacy twins at 4months without any complications and I am super healthy!

I met 2 mid-wifies at the beginning and they were very nice and done their job. However, the last 2 times visit were arrange to met 2 doctors. The doctor at the lastest checking who is only concern to convince us to get flu shot more than 5mins and done nothing of any checking, even we asked her many times about one of our baby position was too low! I lost my twins with preterm labor 3 days later after the exam because one baby too low and the Dr. not telling us to bedrest. Their explainlations were all lies to try to cover their negligence! They even not tell me the lactation of the pain or care after the labor. They didn't call any or arrange check up afterwards and claims they do care! All the tragic happened because they truely not care deep inside their heart! Once you lost your babies, they treat your lost as a bad luck and you will be trash and buried. If anyone can sucessfully labor then they took the credit. Do your own homework and don't trust the doctor completely, once you met the heartless one will be just like me, paid a big price and the scar never heal!

#15 of 17 Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM

I delivered at HMC with All Womens Health Care back in 2007, my labor was long 30 hours and I pushed for 3. They were completey in tune with what I wanted and let me labor as long as my son was ok, which he was. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about them. I am now 7 weeks pregnant and have my first appointment next week, I am planning on going with the midwives this time around.

Any recent experiences would be greatly appreciated!

#16 of 17 Old 06-27-2012, 03:50 PM

Congrats, jjarias!  I had a client birth her baby with them about a year ago, and am working with a woman seeing them due any day.  The midwives are as fabulous as ever, only the hospital has improved greatly now that they are going baby-friendly. 

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

#17 of 17 Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 PM

I just delivered my first baby at the end of May with the midwives at All Women's Health.  All of the midwives and doctors were amazing!  HMC is very baby friendly and it was a truly wonderful experience!  The midwives were understanding to all of my desires for labor and birth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page