Anyone visit Ben Stoltzfus Farm (Pleasant Pastures) or Meadowbreeze Farms? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I'm in Virginia, and the only 2 places that deliver raw milk near me are the farms of Ben Stoltzfus (Pleasant Pastures) and Meadow Breeze.
They also seem to be the best prices for meat/poultry, and eggs as well in my area.

Their pamphlets and prices look great. They deliver very close to me. But I can't go visit them at this point, as baby DS hates the car with a passion, and it's a long drive.

I don't feel comfortable ordering raw milk or meat from a place I have never been to check out myself, from a person I've never met. My family's health and safety depends upon trusting them.

So, has anyone here ever visited these farms? Do you know much about them? What has your personal experience been? If you would like to PM me, please do so. I'd love to talk to you!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#2 of 3 Old 07-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Virginia.....state? Ben delivers there? Huh, that's really far. I feel like I'm spacing out & misreading your question. Yes, I go to Ben's farm frequently - was just there last Tuesday. We've been buying from Ben, and other Amish farmers, for years now & I've always been happy with what I see at Ben's farm, and with his products. I took my vegan sister out to Ben's last summer in my quest to get her eating meat/dairy again & she approved of what she saw. She was a vegan for "ethical reasons" (not nutritional preferences. And she's now a happy omnivore. )

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#3 of 3 Old 07-19-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, Virginia the state! LOL! He participates in a co-op and I can buy all his meats, poultry, butter, cheese, milk, etc., and they deliver within 15 miles of my house--super close!

Please spill the beans and tell me everything you can about him and the farm. Knowing that it's actually legit makes me really want to place an order now

I think my main concerns are:
-animal treatment (you said he takes good care of his animals though)
-milking hygeine/sanitation (have you ever seen the cows milked?)
-and meat/poultry slaughter (where is it done?)

The co-op leader says she can't give me any info. until I pay the annual CARE fee, and place an order. Umm, well, kinda scared to put money up front and buy stuff until they answer questions, ya know

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page