Looking for pediatrician in South Jersey who is open to no vaccines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for one who is open to no vaccines. My current ped is pretty good in that he hasn't pushed us into any and he respects our decision as parents; however, he does have us a sign a no vaccine waiver, which I am not fond of. I'm trying to find a much more holistic type of doctor, although he/she does not have to be. I just need a doc who respects our decision and does not make us sign a stupid form for our decision.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 07-21-2010, 04:14 AM

hi Mandy F,

here is a listing of no vax doctors broken down by state

http://novaxdoctors.webs.com/doctorlist.htm

mommy to "mine" (7), "his" (5), and preggers with "ours" due march 2011!!! 

heartbeat.gifIts a GIRL!!!!
#3 of 26 Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, but unfortunately, the cities listed in that list are way too far for me. Most of them are central-north jersey.

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#4 of 26 Old 07-22-2010, 07:30 PM

I'm in the same boat. I just realized, 9 months into it, that this form the doc has been asking me to sign at every "wellness checkup" for my DS, is pretty darn incriminating! I'm so not happy about it. I'm thinking at his next visit I'm giving them a letter of religious exemption and not signing the form.

I'm thinking of taking DS to a family doc (and holistic practicioners) after his 1yr checkup. As long as they accept children and babies, there's no benefit to going to a ped instead. Actually, I'm starting to think they might be a little worse... they're so closed minded in their views and actually seem to be lacking some knowledge in my experience. The breastfeeding advice and some other baby care advice I've heard myself and from others makes my head spin. I've gotten better advice through message boards on line than my ped, who is supposed to be the "baby expert".
#5 of 26 Old 07-31-2010, 01:41 PM

I'm with you ladies. I can't find anybody here in the area. I live in Atlantic County, it is really south in NJ. Have you heard of anybody?
#6 of 26 Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 PM

South Jersey is pretty big. Can you be more specific about your location?

Anyway, if you're near Cherry Hill/Voorhees, this recent thread may be of use:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1239267

In it, I said that my friend, a no-vaxing naturopath, recommends Kressville. It's where she takes her own three kids (ages 18 months to 8 years old) when they're actually sick.

Oh, and I see you're kinda new here... WELCOME TO MDC!!!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#7 of 26 Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM

I like Dr. Dierkes at Rainbow Pediatrics in Clermont if you are in Cape May county. He doesn't make us sign anything. We are doing delayed vaccinations and he is knowledgeable on which ones to delay so that your child doesn't need as many if that is what you are interested in. The only problem with Rainbow is the WAIT! It is really ridiculous.

homebirth.jpg**Trying to live naturally with my home born girls Corinna (10/1/08) and Rosa (9/25/10)**
#8 of 26 Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
South Jersey is pretty big. Can you be more specific about your location?

Anyway, if you're near Cherry Hill/Voorhees, this recent thread may be of use:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1239267

In it, I said that my friend, a no-vaxing naturopath, recommends Kressville. It's where she takes her own three kids (ages 18 months to 8 years old) when they're actually sick.

Oh, and I see you're kinda new here... WELCOME TO MDC!!!
Thank you. I am very close to CH and Voorhees. I'll have to take a look at that link. I guess they don't make you sign an AAP Refusal to Vaccinate form then? Also, do they do well visits? I read that naturopaths do not need to be licensed in NJ, which kind of deterred me from looking for naturopaths further. Are these licensed naturopaths?

#9 of 26 Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM

For the pp in Atlantic Co., we see Dr. Lopez Bernard in Galloway at Galloway Pediatrics. He and his staff have been really respectful of our decision to delay/selective vax, however we do sign a form (I have no problem with that) and there are posters about vaccinating around the office, including a couple with worst-case scenarios photos of diseases. We really like Dr. Lopez a lot. The only negative is that sometimes there's a long wait.

If you'd like more options, there's a yahoo group that may help. Pm me for the group name. There's also a Holistic Mom's group that meets in Linwood, I think.
#10 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 PM

Mandy just stumbled across your thread, as I asked a similar question today. I was wondering if you had any luck with a ped. and who did you decide to go with? I am also looking for a ped. with a more holistic and natural approach in the South Jersey area (close to Cherry Hill).

#11 of 26 Old 02-08-2011, 06:43 AM

my unvaxxed children go to kressville, i have found the drs to be kind, helpful,  respectful of our wishes and decisions and very accommodating. last year, my then seven-year-old needed to be hospitalized for respiratory distress related to asthma, and dr mo(senior) called us every day and visited her in the hospital on his own time. i have heard complaints from some mamas that they've not been terribly supportive of extended breastfeeding, among other complaints, but i've never had an issue with them and we're about as crunchy as they come.

#12 of 26 Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 AM

What about Dr. Magazineer in Cherry Hill. He's an MD and doesn't offer vaccines at all. I'm not sure about signing waivers since I took my dd there only once (she was about 6 at the time and was vaxed on schedule until that point minus the 2nd MMR). The one drawback is that he doesn't participate in insurance at all, so the visit was around $200. I'm now pregnant and looking for at least a delayed vax dr (that ideally participates with our health insurance) and is also non-circ, babywearing, extended bf-friendly.

http://www.drmagaziner.com/home

#13 of 26 Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Just wanted to thank Think of Winter for suggesting Dr. Lopez. I took my newborn and 4 year old there and he was awesome. He asked me sign a waiver but I don't care much about it anyway. I loved him! Pretty laid back and interactive with the kids.

#14 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 AM

For those Moms in Cape May County, I have to tell you that I have given up on Rainbow Pediatrics with Dr. Dierkes. I don't think I have ever gotten out of there without waiting at least 45 minutes to an hour and once it took an hour and a half for about 10 minutes interaction time with the doctor on call.  And when I go with my two year old and 5 month old on my own, it is pure torture.  They have no pictures on the walls and no toys or books.  I am bummed because Dr. Dierkes did Rosa's 1st checkup after her home birth at our house, but it is just too much to ask to wait that long.  I am looking for another office.  I know there are no other delayed vax friendly peds down here and daycare is getting follow up calls from the health dept to see if we are catching up on vaccines so I don't have a lot of choices.  I'm going to try Harborview just because I've heard they don't have the crazy wait. 

homebirth.jpg**Trying to live naturally with my home born girls Corinna (10/1/08) and Rosa (9/25/10)**
#15 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Yes, I agree that Rainbow are ridiculous. I chose them first because of your post and my midwife recommended Dr. Dierkes, but we went there only for the 1 week check up. They made me wait 1 hour with a newborn and my 4 year old DS before we got into a room. After that we waited another 15-20 minutes and in the end we couldn't see Dr.Dierkes because he went to the hospital for a visitation. I was pretty upset that day.wild.gif

#16 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi79 View Post

Yes, I agree that Rainbow are ridiculous. I chose them first because of your post and my midwife recommended Dr. Dierkes, but we went there only for the 1 week check up. They made me wait 1 hour with a newborn and my 4 year old DS before we got into a room. After that we waited another 15-20 minutes and in the end we couldn't see Dr.Dierkes because he went to the hospital for a visitation. I was pretty upset that day.wild.gif

So so sorry to have contributed to that!  greensad.gif  Once Dr. Dierkes 'went to lunch' in the time we were waiting and we couldn't see him... ridiculous is an understatement.  Totally inconsiderate might be more appropriate. 

#17 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Wondering if anyone knows of delayed vax friendly ped or family physician who will take under two's in Cape May County.  We are just now trying to get out of Rainbow after more ridiculous waits and a grilling by a young doctor waving a vax waiver at me (intern?). 

#18 of 26 Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM

So happy I found this thread. I am in Atlantic County and have been going to Tender Care in Nortfield. They are very pro vax. I just had a baby 2 weeks ago and the dr. spent the whole time talking about vaccines. Now this is my 4th kid, so if they haven't convinced me yet I am not sure why they wasted their breath. So the dr. goes on and on about how they will probably stop seeing patients who don't vax. I was so frustrated. I have to take her back in 2 weeks and I am not looking forward to it. I am thinking about changing drs. but the thought Of changing drs. for 4 kids is a little overwhelming. I think I will look into this Dr. lopez.

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#19 of 26 Old 06-01-2011, 05:36 PM

I have a friend in AC who recommends Dr Barry Kessler at Kidscare who does not pressure into vaccinating apparently.  Too far for us unfortunately.

#20 of 26 Old 06-02-2011, 03:25 AM

Dr. Lopez is great! We've been there for two well visits so far, and no pressure at all. All they do is ask you in the beginning of the appointment do you want a vax or not, no comments, no trying to convince you. He made me sign a waiver though at my first appointment, but so everybody else requires it around here, I decided to do it in order to keep them away from vax-ing. He didn't ask me to sign one for my 4 yo DS because he had all his shots up until 2 yo, and the window for the next shots is until 6 yo.

I'm not sure how competent is he, because we haven't really used him for anything serious, but I like him so far. He is friendly with the kids, and spends time to talk with you.

#21 of 26 Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Is Dr. Lopez the only doctor there? The place where we go now there are 4 doctors. 2 of the 4 are fine about not vaxing. But when I get the 2 who are pro vax the appointments are terrible!

Mom to 4 beautiful girls, expecting a blessing in November. Come check out my etsy shop www.bowsweetbow.etsy.com

#22 of 26 Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Yes, Dr. Lopez is the only one in the practice. I haven't called for any emergencies so I am not sure how they are handled but they told me that there is an after hours service which gets your call and after that the Dr. calls you back.

#23 of 26 Old 12-19-2013, 03:09 AM

I came across this thread as I am up early researching naturopaths and integrative family practitioners near atlantic county, and I came across this thread... My children are 11 and 14 and we chose Dr. Barry Kessler upon recommendation from my midwife.  He was always supportive of my educated choice not to vax and compassionate toward my holistic approach to medicine.... until recently.  My daughter recently began wheezing and I made an appt with him but got a new dr instead, an african american woman whom I had never met before, and I cannot recall her name.  She came in, listened to my daughters chest and then told me she was going to give her a neb treatment, put her on an inhaler and a round of antibiotics. (this is a child who has never taken any over the counter medicines, let alone antibiotics). When I attempted to question her method and explain mine, she became very hostile, told me I obviously did not have my child's best interest in mind, and then threatened me with DYFS . I immediately asked to see Dr. Kessler (as he was treating 'well' patients that day).  Confident that Dr Kessler would remember me and my family, and support us or at least have a mature and intellectual dialogue with me, I waited patiently, trying to calm myself after this other drs extremely inappropriate behavior.  After 10 minutes, Dr Kessler came in, my daughter perked up and said, "Hi! Do you remember me?" ... he did not even glance up from her file and replied, "... kind of" ... strange, I thought.  He then barely looked me in the eyes as he went on to fully support what the other dr had said.  I said, "but we've been seeing you for 14 years and have never even taken one prescription from you and now you want to put her on steroids and antibiotics for mild wheezing?.." he didnt even know what the side effects were.... I actually stood there while he googled it on his iphone... :/ ... I left without treatment and immediately pulled my children from that office.  I'm not sure if the office got too busy or it was just an off day, but the way we were treated in the office that day was inexcusable and I will never recommend Kidscare Pediatrics or Dr. Barry Kessler to anyone.  Besides, as my children got older, we only made yearly visits to get their school papers signed, and an occasional sick visit just to confirm my own diagnosis.  They don't have any medical training in natural remedies, homeopathy, or herbs and I think I would really like to have someone who does.  Not only a dr who can support me, but one who can advise me as well :)

Soooo, I am still looking for a naturopath and when I find one, I will definitely share the information... I am also going to look into that holistic moms group in linwood ... thanks for the tip!

#24 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
#25 of 26 Old 12-22-2013, 05:23 AM

Thank you!

#26 of 26 Old 12-23-2013, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
You are welcome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page