Midwives in Northern, NJ w/possible Hospital Privledges - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 07-24-2010, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to the area (i live in Bloomfield) and DESPERATELY want to have a natural birth with baby number 2 (which we will be trying for VERY soon ). I had a mostly natural L&D with my DS in Jan of 09 but after 23 hours of labor i gave into some Stadol (which i wish i had not). My OB basically told me that i didnt need to be a hero and that if i wanted the pain to stop, modern medicine had things to help. ugh, so much for supporting my birth plan.

I am NOT opposed to going to NYC; I hear St. Lukes is awesome.

So all of that to say, I am looking for the following (this list was borrowed from another Thread that fit me PERFECT)

1. I want a waterbirth, the Midwife/Hospital needs that option
2. not be hooked up to a wired monitor (intermittent hand-held prefered)
3. not be hooked up to an IV
4. allowed to move wherever I want during labor
5. allowed to birth in a natural position (standing or on all fours, etc)
6. don't want my water broken or an episiotomy
7. want my child to room-in
8. low lighting (if I chose)
9. allowed to eat/drink

Any personal recommendations on Avalon and The Child Birth Center (now in Clifton) would be GREATLY appreciated. As well as any other options and recommendations for a great midwife. (I am also not completely opposed to a very "granola" and natural OBGYN, but those are RARE)

Thanks!
#2 of 32 Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 AM

I used Avalon at Morristown Memorial for this last baby. I was a VBAC-attempt so a few things were a little different for me, but many things on your list apply -

- Morristown has a beautiful large room with a tub, you just have to request it. I had that room (though I never got to use the tub). I think they may also have a portable tub, you can ask. And you may be able to bring in your own tub if you're worried about theirs being occupied.

- wireless monitoring, I was walking up to the nurses' station and back

- as a VBAC they like to have an IV placed, but I had a heplock instead - just the inserted part, that they can attach an IV to later if necessary

- allowed to move - absolutely, I was walking the halls, in the shower, on the floor, etc.

- I did not get as far as giving birth - my baby had his cord wrapped around him twice, never descended (despite doing everything 'right')

- no water broken

- all the rooms in Morristown's new mom/baby wing are private, baby rooms in at all times. They like to bring the baby back to the nursery for a well-check in the AM, but you can have dad go back to watch, and bring the baby right back. You can also probably kick up a fuss and refuse to send the baby, but I didn't do this -- they are quick about the check and bring the baby to you ASAP without any funny business (I was there for three days and they were great about this).

- low lighting - I think the lights were off the whole time

- I was allowed to eat/drink although I didn't -- I remember them trying to coax me to drink, I was getting dehydrated.

Avalon is a group of three (with one backup) midwives and you'll probably relate better to one or another, that's just how personalities work. The younger Joanne (Cunha) attended my birth and she was very hands off the whole time, just watching and looking at the monitor. When I went in for surgery she was there sitting by my head and didn't leave until I was through recovery and being taken to my room.

PS -- welcome to the neighborhood!

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#3 of 32 Old 07-24-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you SO much for the input. would you have any info you could share about cost?
#4 of 32 Old 07-24-2010, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Loved Avalon! They were great.
#5 of 32 Old 07-24-2010, 01:08 PM

Avalon accepted my insurance (BCBS) and so I had a $20 copay, plus something like 10-20% of our hospital costs. As I said, mine was a surgery, so it wound up being in the ballpark of $2000 out of pocket in the end. I don't remember the exact figures anymore.

I should also add that even though I wound up with a repeat c-section, they were very very supportive of my VBAC attempt. I went to 41w5d with this baby, but according to my original due date (from before I was in their care) it would've been well over 42w -- they listened to me about my longer cycles and adjusted the date up by almost a week. This means I didn't get any pressure about delivering "on time".

Once I was over 40w they did want to do a U/S to make sure everything was still fine, and it was then that we discovered that he was wrapped up in his cord. It was around his neck twice, actually. Of course I was a bit panicked but even then, they were calm and they assured me that if we could get him to come down, they could deliver him naturally and untangle him quickly upon exit. Unfortunately we just never made it that far.

#6 of 32 Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Just bumping this post and asking for more info and stories from other moms with any midwives in the area! thanks!
#7 of 32 Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 PM

My colleague has all three of her daughters with this midwife at st lukes in manhattan. She glows when she talks about her experience. Her daughters are in mid to late 20's/early 30's now.

http://www.nywomenshealth.com/midwiv...l-new-york.htm

Heather (33) married to DH (28) since 2/10. #1 due 5/11
#8 of 32 Old 07-27-2010, 10:59 PM

All your requests would be easily attended to with a homebirth. Have you thought of that as an option? It's quite safe, and you can be in the comfort of your home. And every midwife has an OP/Hospital backup so if there is a need to transfer you'd be ok. I tried with my first, but transfered and finished with a hospital vaginal birth. I'm trying and with this pregnancy and am optimistic and excited.
Good luck.
#9 of 32 Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 PM

I registered on this forum just so I could reply! I delivered my second child at Saint Clare's Hospital in Denville with midwife Marla Scott. I recommend her very highly, she was wonderful. She practices with two Ob-gyns in Denville, it would be well worth giving her a call to set up a consultation appointment to discuss your concerns.
#10 of 32 Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input. Im a little uneasy about a homebirth, simply because I'm crazy over-analytical and I feel like I'd be that 2% that needs a hospital intervention if I'm at home, but if I'm in the hospital, I would be safe, the classic irony of course lol.

I am going to set up consultations with Lonnie Morris' practice and possibly the midwives in Denville. Avalon wants $75 (from what I read in a recent post) for the initial interview, so that turns me off from them a bit. I will also be contacting Georgia Rose, CNM, from St. Lukes and seeing if she will meet with us. We start trying after my next period, so wish us luck!
#11 of 32 Old 08-04-2010, 04:21 PM

Hi,
It sounds like you have decided against Avalon, but I just want to mention that they will waive the $75 if your first appointment with them is a combined consultation/ pre-natal visit. I know it's not ideal, but when I was switching from my OB-GYN to Avalon, I had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to deliver with them so I was ok with a pre-natal visit being my first meeting. I spoke with Joanne Cunha for about an hour before she did the standard well visit assessments.

Had a fantastic experience with them!
Meghan

Mom to DD1 8/09 and DD2 4/11

#12 of 32 Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanG View Post
Hi,
It sounds like you have decided against Avalon, but I just want to mention that they will waive the $75 if your first appointment with them is a combined consultation/ pre-natal visit. I know it's not ideal, but when I was switching from my OB-GYN to Avalon, I had pretty much made up my mind that I was going to deliver with them so I was ok with a pre-natal visit being my first meeting. I spoke with Joanne Cunha for about an hour before she did the standard well visit assessments.

Had a fantastic experience with them!
Meghan

I am with Avalon as of this past year, and they waived the fee for me because I got an annual exam at the same time as my consultation about VBAC--I was planning to get pregnant at the time. Insurance paid for it. I had the exam, and then about an hour talking with the younger Joanne about VBAC. It was nice.

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#13 of 32 Old 08-05-2010, 07:58 PM

I had the same experience with Avalon. Go in as an exam, not just a consult, they can bill insurance then.

I also have to give props to Marla Scott in Denville, she was my first midwife after my DS1 was born, and I was so sad to leave her care! -- Unfortunately she doesn't have the ability to attend VBACs anymore at St. Clare's (not her own fault -- the fault of the OBs who won't back her up).

#14 of 32 Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 AM

I had a great experience with Avalon and continue to do so. Joanne Cunha caught my second daughter and was so peaceful, calm and just perfect. I highly recommend them.
#15 of 32 Old 08-07-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

well, i definitly need my annual exam anyway, so that makes me feel SO much better about the initial consultation with Avalon. As soon as we see our "+" ill be setting up our appointments, and this time it will probably be Avalon first, seeing i need my annual anyway

Really ladies, thank you so much. I feel a bit like a fish out of water having no friends or family that have any advise on L&D the natural way for me. Thank you!
#16 of 32 Old 08-07-2010, 10:02 PM

Anytim, MamaSerio. Earlier in this thread I posted all about my birth experience...probably around Feb or March if you are looking back in the threads. If you need anything, you can pm me. I don't live far from you. I used to live in Montclair, but now I am in Parsippany. Have you joined the Holistic Moms Network? Its charter chapter is from Montclair and the women there could be so helpful to you.
#17 of 32 Old 08-07-2010, 11:02 PM

The birth of my oldest son was attended by Lucille Fream. It looks like she is practicing out of Wayne right now. I really loved her. At the time (almost 18 years ago), CNMs were just coming into some of the NJ hospitals, and doctor back up was fairly hands on. Her OB back up recommended induction, and if it had not been for Lucille, I know I would have ended up sectioned for failure to progress, and fetal distress.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#18 of 32 Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Had my first appointment (at week 29) today with Avalon for a VBAC. Fell in love! Would suggest them to anyone. And agree, the $75 fee is for consult only. If you set an appointment for service, that's waived and they still spend time talking with you! Good luck to you!
#19 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

for those of you who were wondering. we got our BFP this morning, at approximately 8 dpo! so as soon as i officially miss my period, ill be contacting Avalon, Lonnie and possibly the BC at St. Lukes! Thanks so much!
#20 of 32 Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 PM

Congratulations!!!
#21 of 32 Old 09-04-2010, 11:30 PM

Just wanted to add that I went with Avalon midwives and loved them. JoAnn Cunha is great. And Morristown is beautiful and you get a postpartem massage. I also live in Bloomfield and the drive is about 20 minutes to their offices. I highly recommend them.
#22 of 32 Old 09-04-2010, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

anners, isnt joann C out on maternity? i hear she had a baby in april, is that true?

also, would any of you mind sharing a bit of your L&D story w/me, and let me know where and with who you delivered? you can of course PM me. Im just getting ready to start scheduling interviews and Id like to have as much background info on the ladies before i go, just to make it easier.

my only real reservation about Lonnie is that St. Mary's in Passaic is the only hosp she has priv at that DOES have a water tub birthing option. mountainside is a good hospital, but has only showers at this point and i would really like the tub option. But it will also matter if I am going to click with the midwife in question and they will be able to help me have the overall birth im looking for (pending no complications of course). My first delivery with my DS was long (25.5 hours from admittance to his first cry) and at the end i was fighting the nurses and doctor so much on drugs and interventions.

Also looking for a GREAT doula. any recs?

Thanks again everyone!
#23 of 32 Old 09-05-2010, 01:31 AM

For a Doula-we used Deb Cerutti who is out of Bloomfield. She was also our Bradley Coach & our classes were downstairs at Avalon. PM me if you want her contact info. We really like her.

Everyone I know loves Avalon. I know Lonnie Morris & actually was present at my BFs delivery 12 years ago with Lonnie when she was still in Englewood. She is good-don't get freaked out if she comes across cold though. She knows her stuff.

I mentioned this in another thread...make sure you consider who the backup OBs are for any midwives you are looking at & that they support your plan.

Congrats! Good luck! And welcome!!!

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#24 of 32 Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSerio View Post
anners, isnt joann C out on maternity? i hear she had a baby in april, is that true?
I think she is coming back in September but taking limited on call shifts for a little while.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#25 of 32 Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 AM

I just saw joanne c at avalon. she is just back from maternity leave.

I had dd at mountainside in 2006. I was told that i could use the labor tub during my tour, but when i got there the nurses said they were too busy to attend and that i needed full-time attendance (and i was using an ob, not a midwife...bad decision). I tried to use the showers for pain relief but they were broken (only cold water) and they would not move me to another room. They did not have EFM, so I had to be my back for monitoring. The monitor kept breaking and/or couldn't get a full 20-minute read, so I was on my back way more than I anticipated during my labor. After 20 hours of labor, at 9 cm dilated, 0 station, and 80% effaced, my dd "got stuck". Anyone want to guess what happened next? The anethesiologist asked me, while I was strapped down for my c-section (with a little bit of a sneer) why I had tried to "do it" with no drugs, and if I would do it again.

I know people who have had good experiences at Mountainside, but I would not go there again even though they are 10 minutes from my house.

41 yr. old : Mom to MW (5/20/06) and RM (02/05/2011), m/c at 5w6d (9/07/09)
#26 of 32 Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

has anyone actually DELIVERED in the water with Avalon? just curious. im hearing things from other mommies that morristown will NOT allow u actually deliver in the water and if you do the hosp rushes off with baby like something is wrong.
#27 of 32 Old 09-13-2010, 06:23 PM

I know a doula who had a waterbirth at Morristown about 5 months ago. She was using Dr Banks though - not any of the midwives. She was very happy with her experience so I'm guessing they didn't rush off with her baby!

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#28 of 32 Old 09-13-2010, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSerio View Post
has anyone actually DELIVERED in the water with Avalon? just curious. im hearing things from other mommies that morristown will NOT allow u actually deliver in the water and if you do the hosp rushes off with baby like something is wrong.
I know 2 people DELIVERED in the water w/Avalon

AND my friend stayed in the water w/baby for awhile
#29 of 32 Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

decided to cancel my appointment with Avalon after meeting with Lonnie today. Lonnie is a PERFECT match for us. Thanks everyone for your advice
#30 of 32 Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM

While this post is coming late for MamaSerio....for anyone else looking for midwives in NJ...Hackettstown Midwives are AMAZING.  They deliver in Morristown have a ton of water birth experience and do home deliveries as well!   http://www.hackettstownmidwives.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page