Brooklyn Heights or Cobble Hill - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2010, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After many years of visiting and finding our special spots, I think we're finally going to make the move to New York! This os so very exciting for our family and we'll know for sure in the next few weeks. If all goes well we're hoping to be settled by the end of the year.

We've been home hunting for a while and I will say that it's a much bigger decision than finding a place in our hometown. We're probably being too picky but we just want our move to be perfect. Anyway, our first choice is BH and second CH. While we love the village feel and calming aspect of BH ( please don't laugh at me but it's not Midtown! ). But CH seems to be a little more kid friendly just busier.

I'm very confused about what to do about school. At this point since we don't have a fixed address it's hard to know what to do. I understand the lottery for new students and know that we're not guaranteed our zone school and that's a big concern. So I'm reaching out for some suggestions on which schools to visit, avoid and which ones offer programs for Special Needs students.

Our oldest will be entering the 3rd grade and has mild Aspergers and will require speech services, our middle son Kindergarden and our daughter is 2. Will our oldest son be affected by the lottery? Is there a chance our 5yo will ba able to attend the same school and will our daughter be grandfathered in and be able to attend the same school as her brothers?

I am also seeking honest opinions about the communities of BH and CH. We do have friends in both areas but their Little Ones attend private schools so they really don't have much to offer by way of advice. Also I did register for the NYC School weekly updates and am so please at what the schools have to offer...NY seems to be so far ahead compared to the schools here and that's a big plus!

I'm also open to suggestions about schools in Midtown which so far has been a relatively painless commute for my husband. Are there any bus services for schools outside of the immediate area?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

gerlassie ( mom of three 9, 5 and 2 )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Hi I'm a long time Brooklyn resident and teacher in the NYC public schools. I don't live in either neighborhood (used to be in Carroll Gardens which is right next to CH) but can tell you that Cobble Hill (PS 29) has a much better respected elementary school than Brooklyn Heights (PS 8?). In terms of Special Ed. the city is making some big changes in this area. Basically starting this fall a select number of schools will begin a pilot program where they will only be admitting zoned students and then whatever special needs exist amongst those children they will be serviced in that school. The program will be entirely citywide as of the 2011/2012 school year. What that means is that your son will go to his zoned school along with his siblings and that school must provide him with the services he needs. Previously he would have been given a placement which could have been anywhere and your other kids would have to go to their zone school. If you do choose Cobble Hill I think you'll likely be very pleased with PS 29. It has an amazing reputation and my friend is a teacher there and says it is just wonderful. I'm pretty sure they have a fully day pre-k program which your daughter will likely get into as the slots are given first to zoned siblings. All in all even if I was not considering schools as a factor I would choose Cobble Hill over BH. It really does have a more family feel to it and honestly the two neighborhoods are very close to each other. I hope that all helps. I don't get on this site much so hopefully I won't miss any further questions that you might have. Hope the info helps!

Kate

mom to Jeremiah 4 1/2 and Miles almost 2

p.s. My family is contemplating a move to the Baltimore/Annapolis area which it looks like you are from so maybe I could hit you up for some information in the future!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 AM

I second Cobble Hill over Brooklyn Heights for the school and for the neighborhood feeling.

Also, they will try to service your son in whatever your zoned home school is, but if they can't find an appropriate placement in that school, they will service him outside of that school.

I'm not sure if there are openings or what grade they are up to yet (also not sure of your son's needs), but you should check out the NEST program - the Brooklyn program is at PS32 on Hoyt Street in Carroll Gardens. Here is the NYC DOE site with info on it: http://schools.nyc.gov/Academics/Spe.../About_ASD.htm

I work with younger children with ASD and have seen this program - it's a very good program for the NYC public schools.

Erica
DD September 2010, m/c October 2009
Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to send the helpful information!

Best, gerlassie

User Tag List