Looking for AP-friendly pediatrician in Wexford, PA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-22-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live north of Pittsburgh in Wexford and I'm due in 3 weeks. I'm looking for an AP-friendly pediatrician in the Wexford/Cranberry/North Hills area. I want to find someone who is very supportive of breast-feeding, co-sleeping and doesn't give me a hard time about not circumcising.
#2 of 4 Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 AM

This doctor is wonderful. I know a couple of people who take their children to him and love him.

http://www.pediatricalliance.com/sec...spx?id=5&did=3

He's also an IBCLC and one of the chair people for the Allegheny County Breastfeeding Coalition. I met him at one of their meetings and really liked him.

I also believe his wife is involved in LaLeche League but I'm not positive.

See you soon!
#3 of 4 Old 10-11-2010, 05:55 PM

I would be interested to find a similar pediatrician/family practitioner in the South Hills side of Pittsburgh. Any recommendations?
#4 of 4 Old 10-14-2010, 04:03 PM

We see Sharon Cowden at Children's Community Pediatrics
http://www.cc-peds.net/pgh/cowden.shtm - it's nearish the NA high school off of 19.

Going on my 4th kid here I tend to take pedi's advice with a grain of salt... ie I will politely listen but if it doesn't work for us I won't won't say anything but I won't put it into practice, either. Ie the doc is there for shots and sickness, not parenting advice. We fully vax (though we're behind, and she's OK with that) - I get the sense she is not super cool with not vaxing at all, you don't say your take on that. But my son is not circ'ed, she's never said anything... I breastfed my girls and she was very supportive of THAT, actually around 5-6 months I wanted to throw in the towel and drop it and switch to formula and she was not pushy about it but I expected her to be all "Oh, yeah, that's great, go ahead" but she was more like gently telling me what a great job I had done so far and pointing out it didn't have to be all of nothing - I was trying to nurse twins with abysmyll supply issues, and I just wanted to quit, they were starving, I was miserable, etc. I left with a plan to supplement instead and went on to nurse many more months (12 months for one, 14 for the other) We co-slept with one of the girls and she never batted an eye over that - I have a friend whose doc told her she had to stop co-sleeping...

So for what that's worth, we have been happy. I have never personally encountered a pedi who I felt was anti-AP - but I don't consider myself AP so take that for what it's worth. Technically I do a lot of AP things but I hate the label.

Anyway - we have been happy. And the location is nice and close for us.

We have been with her about 2 years... my kids were born in CA, never had an issue with a doc and circumcision there, either. Personally I have found a lot of things the crunchier side claims the mainstream pushes really aren't pushed much at all - but maybe it's just been luck, I don't know.

ETA I have to say one SUPER cool thing about this office, my girls got pink eye in the summer... I called to make an appt. for the one who CLEARLY had a problem, the other was questionable... I went in, I didn't see Sharon because she wasn't in, but the guy who saw them, pretty much said "Yeah this is our 5th case of pink eye today" as it was going around - wrote a script for the drops with enough refills that the whole family could use them if needed - looked at both babies for the price of one - basically, you know, an easy, easy visit, treating me like I was intelligent and not some whacko over-reacting parent who wouldn't know how to treat pink eye in the rest of the house if we got it. Luckily, we didn't. Maybe that's a standard experience but I was really happy with that! No one wants to go to the doc multiple times for the same problem for multiple kids...

eta - ugh, I didn't realize this was so old!!!

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page