Mothering Forum banner

Pittsburgh?

670 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  RunnerDuck 
#1 ·
DH is interviewing there.... West Mifflin specifically. Are there any Pittsburgh threads people could link me to?

In particular, I am wondering how much a of a crunchy/AP community there is. It took me 5 lonnnnnnng friendless years to hook up with the amazing AP group here and I don't want to go that long again with no friends

And totally shallow question, but is Pittsburgh nice? In my mind I think of it as sort of industrial a la Detroit, so not in a good way! But I haven't been there since i was 6 so that could totally be wrong!

TIA mamas!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm quite the other direction from West Mifflin because I am north of the city but I love this area. There is a Pittsburgh AP group through meetup.com that I am part of and the ladies are all awesome on there.

There are also so many child friendly activities in the area.

#4 ·
my husband and i are looking to move to pittsburgh hopefully by next summer! IMO, pittsburgh is beautiful. the city is very urban, but the small cities surrounding are just gorgeous. like PP said, very green, very hilly. pennsylvania is a beautiful state. pitts is especially gorgeous during the fall, when all the trees are changing color. i can't wait to move there!

i'm not sure about the crunchy community, but i know there is a LLL that meets monthly, which is always a good thing to have.

i'm hoping to find out more about that before we move up! good luck to y'all!

#5 ·
There's definitely a crunchy underbelly ... I don't think you have to look too hard. However city itself or north hills MIGHT be more where you will find such things... but this is anectdotal feel, not based on anything scientific.

I am in the north hills now, we are planning to move next summer, hope we will not have too much trouble selling our house. I grew up in the south hills. I am not exactly sure we will move to. Still in Pgh but a better kid neighborhood - ours is NOT. FWIW West Mifflin has some great sized affordable houses - I can't speak to what the schools are currently but they used to be decent. It's not the BEST commute for my husband's work but it is on the radar, as we are going to need a 4 bedroom house, and WM is a good place to find an affordable 4 bedroom.

I moved back to Pittsburgh after 5 years in California so obviously I think it's a great city - but I do not care for the North Hills. Prior to moving away I never realized how different the different parts of the city are!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.