VBAC in Pittsburgh? PCOS friendly OB? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found myself surprisingly pregnant with no OB in Pittsburgh. We planned to try for one more, and I figured I would get serious about finding an OB when we got serious about trying. And I think in the back of my mind, I figured it would never really happen, so...

I have had 2 visits with the midwives at Magee and have decided to switch care providers.

I know there is another midwife group and while I haven't ruled them out, I am leaning towards switching to the womancare in Wexford or Passavant (north hills).

Any experiences with the north hills womancare offices?? Do you actually get ONE doctor there or do you rotate through them? That seems to be my impression, and that is not what I am used to from my past pregnancies - which were in California - it seems kind of unpleasant to me. Are they generally VBAC friendly? Is it going to be as hard to find a VBAC friendly doc as I fear? And how was Magee as far as being baby friendly??? The hospital in CA I had my son was great, he never left my side, but the hospital I had my girls was BIZARRE, they would take the babies away for hours at a time - I do NOT want to repeat that again.

If anyone has PCOS and experiences with an OB who is OK with their staying on metformin while pregnant, that would also be awesome. I fear finding that will be hard. It was not hard in California but I am having some crazy doctor anxiety in PA, I am not sure how much is warranted.

It won't be the end of the world for me if I have to have another c/s, but I'd like to try things the normal way this time. (I had a vag delivery with my son, c/s with my girls, so this would be a plain VBAC, not a vba2c)

If you've got an awesome doc who fits this criteria and is not at Magee, let me know, that's fine - and be aware that free parking is a perk... and I am in the North Hills, so St Clair etc is out. Feel free to take it to PM.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#2 of 20 Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 AM

I switched to the Midwives at Magee from Womancare, so I am admittedly biased against Womancare. The OB I used wasn't very natural birth friendly for sure. I know several people who've tried to VBAC w/ various womancare offices and it doesn't always go so well. Part of the problem is that while you have to rotate through the docs in that office you may still never meet the provider you'll get when you're in labor since all the womancare offices work together for who's oncall at the hospital.

My suggestion is to contact Dr. Kaminski at magee. His offices are alongside the midwives and his practice is who oversees the midwives. They are good w/ VBAC's and are awesome! They are the office who did my c-section for my twins, tho they much would have preferred that baby A would have gotten into proper position so we could have avoided it. They are maternal fetal medicine office, so I'm not sure if they see non high risk pregnancies but it might be worth a call.

I really like Magee. My son was taken from our room twice, once for weighing and a bath at 24 hours old and once for the hearing check. Both times we could go with him if we wanted. The bath can take place in your room as well I believe. The girls were gone a lot more...but that was our choice. Being up for 23 out of 24 hours the day of the c-section wasn't working well. So with them we did send to the nursery at night but the nurses were AWESOME about bringing them to me for nursing. They were also fabulous about not offering formula, even when one of ours didn't want to latch. They just kept reassuring me that was normal for day 1 and on day 2 they got me a pump for the room.

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
#3 of 20 Old 09-20-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I was supposed to have a consult with Kaminski last week but they called me the day before and cancelled it because they hadn't gotten my operative report from the hospital in California. Which was irritating because VBAC was not the only thing I was supposed to discuss with him, we were also supposed to discuss a clotting disorder I have and whether or not they are OK with my staying on metformin the whole pregnancy (the midwife was not OK with it, had never had a patient do it). So, that was frustrating. I've made up my mind definitely not to go back there, I just don't know where to switch to. Thanks for answering. :-)

nak DS S 4/1/11
#4 of 20 Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM

Which midwife was it if you don't mind me asking. Regarding Kaminski... he's only got limited consult hours, so it does make some sense they would want all the information. i know that some people love the Midwife Center, but they are less VBAC friendly then they used to be... whether it's their new overseeing ob's or the midwives are more conservative these days than they used to be. I've heard of several people going to them for VBAC's and clear till the end of the pregnancy all was fine then all of a sudden the scare tactics tend to come out.

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
#5 of 20 Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I have partly not even looked in to the midwife center as I have this fear they are going to have this awesome cushy birthing center and it's off limits for me with a vbac... it would just bite going there all along and knowing what I can't have LOL. Like having weight watchers meetings in a bakery or something, ha ha. I haven't ruled them out, but I can't say I feel strongly inclined to look into them, either. I have a friend who used them and ended up with a c/s when they were with AGH, and she liked them, but not AGH - though I don't exactly know why.

nak DS S 4/1/11
#6 of 20 Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 PM

I used Kaminski. I had to have a csection, but dealing with him was such a relief. I tried a few people during my pregnancy and it was so stressful. I wasn't quite high risk, but enough to make people nervous. Once I got in with Kaminski we just cut through all the nonsense. He was the head so he didn't have to worry about answering to anyone. He also was very respectful of my wishes. For example, he recommended a 37 week csection because of my surgical history. We had a nice talk about the pros and cons of waiting until 39 and ultimately we settled on 39 because I was more comfortable with the risks of that approach.

So basically his office sucks. He is great.

Magee is ok. I hated the triage area. Postpartum we really only had one issue and that was just a bad nurse that thy made sure never came back to our room. We also did a 2 day release even with the surgery.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to Kira March 2009
#7 of 20 Old 09-20-2010, 04:15 PM

I agree that Kaminski is really a great doctor. I can see why it sucked that they rescheduled your appointment too. I will send you a pm because I can tell you a few docs to definitely stay away from and also know a few who are more VBAC friendly.

Pittsburgh also now has an ICAN Chapter and we hold meetings every other meeting in the Wexford area and every other month at Patrick Thornton's office in Squirrel Hill if you're interested in attending and talking to some of the other mom's planning vbac's. Most of them in the group right now are going to either the Midwives at Magee or Patrick Thornton.

Here is the link to the FB page for the ICAN Chapter if you are on FB you can get the meeting announcements that way and I am also planning to start a yahoo group so that those not on FB can get the announcements as well.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...5962400?ref=ts

Amy
#8 of 20 Old 09-20-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
I have partly not even looked in to the midwife center as I have this fear they are going to have this awesome cushy birthing center and it's off limits for me with a vbac... it would just bite going there all along and knowing what I can't have LOL. Like having weight watchers meetings in a bakery or something, ha ha. I haven't ruled them out, but I can't say I feel strongly inclined to look into them, either. I have a friend who used them and ended up with a c/s when they were with AGH, and she liked them, but not AGH - though I don't exactly know why.
Well, it's my understanding that AGH maternity is no more...didn't they move to West Penn last year? I had an unecessarean at AGH but felt the care was very good, (it wasn't a pressured c/s) and I thankfully had a good sugery as far as I can tell with no lasting effects. The birth center IS nice, I labored there for a while but the midwives are great so using them at the hospital could be a good option. AGH was cool with my birth plan and helped to make happen what could happen despite the c/s. No balking at no circ, no vax, no bath, no nursery, exam done in our room, etc and I got GOOD support with breastfeeding. That doesn't matter obviously if the midwife center is under West Penn now but maybe some of that climate went with any staff that switched over. You could ask around what it's like to VBAC there.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an ICAN chapter in Pittsburgh. I am now in Seattle or else I would be in your shoes as well as I am 11 weeks with #2 and aiming for a VBAC.

I'm trying to look up info on the ican site but it's really slow...I'll try again later.

ETA: I see the pp said there is now an ICAN chapter! That is great, you really need to get in touch with them before making a final decision! An excellent resource for anyone seeking a vbac. Amy, a yahoo group would be great! I use the Seattle group a lot since for one reason or another, I haven't been able to attend a meeting yet.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#9 of 20 Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM

The Midwife Center transfers to Mercy now. When AGH closed their maternity ward the midwives chose to go to Mercy with a new set of docs instead of going to West Penn. I've been to a couple of births at Mercy and I thought the nurses there were wonderful. They also have wonderful LC's on staff there too. I can totally get how disappointing it would be to go to the center for appts knowing that you can't have the baby there though.
#10 of 20 Old 09-24-2010, 11:59 AM

I had my vbac with the midwives at magee......i see yoou're in the north hills.......did you know they have a satellite office in cranberry? free parking for all those prenatal visits....just have to pay for parking in oakland for labor/delivery

what about patrick thorton? you could e-mail him with your questions about the blood thinner and see what his thoughts are....

good luck!

One sleepy mama to ds #1 (5) and ds #2...my VBAC baby (2) and expecting #3 sometime in 2/2012!!

#11 of 20 Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 PM

The midwives actually closed the office in Cranberry in July.
#12 of 20 Old 09-25-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyfarr View Post
The midwives actually closed the office in Cranberry in July.
wow, thanks for letting me know....that didn't last long.......do you know why they closed??

One sleepy mama to ds #1 (5) and ds #2...my VBAC baby (2) and expecting #3 sometime in 2/2012!!

#13 of 20 Old 09-25-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah they still have the north hills phone number listed, and that is where I called first, but they are closed. Which was a bummer.

nak DS S 4/1/11
#14 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah they still have the north hills phone number listed, and that is where I called first, but they are closed. Which was a bummer.
have you had any luck finding a provider?

#15 of 20 Old 09-27-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Probably going to switch to womancare @ passavant, as I just met another mom at the park who goes there and she is also hoping for a vbac and she says so far they have been great. She is due in Nov so if they pull something at the last minute I will still have plenty of time to pull anchor LOL

I haven't made an appt yet though... I have my 1st trimester screen this week as ordered by the midwives and I feel like I better get that over with so they are still officially my doctors and I am not weirdly between doctors when I get the test - I fear there being issues if that is the case. So once that is over, I will call and book.

nak DS S 4/1/11
#16 of 20 Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Probably going to switch to womancare @ passavant, as I just met another mom at the park who goes there and she is also hoping for a vbac and she says so far they have been great. She is due in Nov so if they pull something at the last minute I will still have plenty of time to pull anchor LOL

I haven't made an appt yet though... I have my 1st trimester screen this week as ordered by the midwives and I feel like I better get that over with so they are still officially my doctors and I am not weirdly between doctors when I get the test - I fear there being issues if that is the case. So once that is over, I will call and book.

Good Luck with your VBAC! I hope everything works out for you. I'm sure you've found the VBAC support thread here on MDC....if not, you should definitely check it out.

#17 of 20 Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 AM

Passavant does maternity again? Interesting! My brother was born there in 1980. They closed the maternity dept years ago (this is passavant in north hills).

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#18 of 20 Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan'smom View Post
wow, thanks for letting me know....that didn't last long.......do you know why they closed??
They said there wasn't enough demand at the Cranberry office and Oakland is so busy that they needed to pull them back to Oakland. This is very surprising to me because I know at least 8 people who went to that office.
#19 of 20 Old 09-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
Passavant does maternity again? Interesting! My brother was born there in 1980. They closed the maternity dept years ago (this is passavant in north hills).
They aren't doing maternity there but there are OB's with offices in the professional building there. They do their deliveries at Magee though.
#20 of 20 Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM

I delivered at Magee with the midwives, and I found it to be a great experience. I was worried about Magee - you hear about it being a "baby factory," that it's so big and crowded, etc. But our experience was great. I didn't see much of the triage area, since I checked in at 7 cm but the L&D rooms were nice. I was there overnight and through a shift change, and both of my nurses were seriously fantastic. I was less enthusiastic about the post-partum stay, but for the usual reasons you encounter at most hospitals - hard to sleep with lights/noises, bad food, not able to relax like I would at home. DS only left us for a few hours the first night so we could get some rest (I labored all night and he was born in the morning). My nurse was great at helping me get him latched, and she brought him back to me as soon as he showed hunger signs. No pacifiers, no mention of formula. Overall, we had a great experience at Magee.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page