How Much for In Home Child Care? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rates probably vary from region to region, so I wanted to ask the South Jersey/Philadelphia residents what you thought was reasonable for one on one in home child care.

I'm thinking $10/hour for taking care of an 18 month old child. Is this too much? Too little?

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#2 of 8 Old 10-02-2010, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That is right in the ball park, depending on the exact area and all the particulars. Might be a little high for some situations.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#3 of 8 Old 10-02-2010, 05:11 AM

$3/hour max(west coast) and i've seen even lower.
#4 of 8 Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 PM

NE Philly we paid $175 a week for full time care. It was my son and the care givers daughter. I think you might be better off in offering a flat rate fee for a week or day as opposed to an hourly rate.

Wife to Josh ~ mommy to frankie (10-24-06) and hayley (7-25-09) and Caleb (4-30-11)
#5 of 8 Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

That makes sense, Moobie. Thanks!

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#6 of 8 Old 10-11-2010, 03:41 PM
LZP

We just started our daughter in in-home care. We take her to the babysitter's house, 4 days a week and pay $200/week. she has 2 of her own kids there, too. It's a little high, but she's someone we trust, and she's family, so we didn't feel like negotiating. I would have preferred $150, and think that's reasonable, given that it's at her home, with her 2 kids there already, and it's only 4 days/week from 8-5.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#7 of 8 Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Depends if someone is coming to your home (which is a nanny) or you are taking child to someone else's home where the person is watching other children. That is in home day care, technically I guess.

For a nanny, you pay hourly - for sure. I did it for over 3 year and was paid $16/hr. outside of the city for two boys, older than toddlers, attending preschools and activities, etc. I was paid pretty well, I've heard other nannies making as little as $10/hr though, too. It depends on lots of factors I guess.

For in home day care in the area, for a full day - runs between $30-60/day from what I know, depending on experience, how many other kids, etc.

$3/hr? Are you kidding me? Who in their right mind would work for that? That is insane. Taking care of children is HARD work, especially when you are doing it right.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#8 of 8 Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 AM

I pay $35/day for two women to watch my daughter, along with several other children they watch. They're not a licensed DCP.

For ideas about in your home, if that's what you mean, you could check Craigslist ads. I looked there and quickly figured out that I couldn't afford care in my home!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page