coming to Lancaster for furniture shopping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Baltimore, and am interested in buying some Amish furniture- in particular, a dining room table and some chairs. My husband and I are considering going up to Lancaster for a day and see what we can get, specifically if there are any good deals to be found locally, vs. buying off the internet.
Many of the internet sites we've seen are based out of ohio or indiana, and shipping can easily be 20% of your order. So, we're also thinking that getting something shipped from lancaster (if we can't borrow a van) will be considerably less.

Is anyone familiar with any shops that might be worth looking at or an "Amish furniture outlet" type of place that we might find a that have a good selection of items?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 AM

I don't have any specific store recommendations but if Amish/America-made is important to you, make sure you ask lots of questions.

Chairs might be crafted locally with the table coming from China. I have personally experienced this. It was rather interesting to see the Made in China stamp on the underside of a dining room table purchased from the Amish.

Also, it is not uncommon for the furniture to be assembled from components produced elsewhere. Again, I know of this from experience as I live in an area that produces components for Amish and Mennonite "made" furniture. Not that there is anything wrong with the quality, but often this stuff is marketed as being handmade out back in the barn when it in fact is mass-produced and assembled on-site.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 10-12-2010, 02:30 PM

I wish I could remember the name of the place we visited. Gorgeous stuff, and the owner and his factory were featured on a factory tours show I saw just this year.

Anyway, here's one list:
http://www.lancastercountyshowcase.c...ufacturers.php
Almost all of the contacts listed are Lancaster Amish names, so it's likely real, and not knock-off stuff or pricey due to middle-man stuff. You might plan to give yourself time to drive around the Lancaster area and visit some places.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:55 AM

The network that produces the factory tour show is PCN. OP - you might be able to find the name of the factory cap's mom mentions on the PCN site.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 PM

There are tons of Amish in Pennsylvania, not just in Lancaster. Off the cuff I'd assume if you go to Lancaster with it being THE tourist hot spot for Amish goods you're not going to get the best prices. I might consider looking elsewhere in PA. Sorry I don't have any specific names of places to try but I would look outside of Lancaster area!

There are lots of places near me selling Amish sheds and swing sets... maybe they could help you out?

http://www.yodersbackyard.com/

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11

User Tag List