Birth Professional in Philadelphia Area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I'm looking for recs on a Birth Center/Midwifery in the Philadelphia area. I'm in the NE section of Philly. I only found 2. The Birth center in Bryn Mawr (which I'm not sure if it would take too long to get there) and Valley Birth Center in Huntingdon Valley.

I would like to have the option to do a HB - although I'm not sure that's the route I want to go yet, but I don't want it ruled out.

My last birth was in a hospital, and although it was natural, it's not the experience I want again. I want to be more in control of the birth, and not be told things like "you can't get up to go to the bathroom or walk around"

Any help would be appreciated, also if there are any threads you can point me to, let me know! TIA!!

Oh and I also need some resources for preparing for a natural birth...as I had NO preparation last time.
#2 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Valley Birthplace does homebirths, too. There's also Christy Santoro in Philly (www.motherlandmidwifery.com I believe) and Kate Aseron in Chester Springs (www.risingmoonmidwifery.com) who both do homebirths. I think Bryn Mawr and Valley birthplace are the only two birth centers near you - there's one in Wilmington, DE, too, but that might be a bit far - it's an hour if not more from you. Hope that helps!

Oh, and for preparation - Alisson Kolodner teaches Bradley classes in Philly - highly recommend her! Good luck! Her email is mamaphillybirthclass@gmail.com, and I think she's on here but I forget her sn.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#3 of 13 Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!! This is VERY helpful
#4 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 05:42 PM

I love Kathy Hindle, CNM (Midwifery Traditions). Her # is 215-249-9646. She delivered both of my babies at home.

#5 of 13 Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM

Look into Hypnobabies too.  I am currently doing the home study program and have hear many positive things about it assiting during delivery.

#6 of 13 Old 11-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Janet Cappetta - New Day Birth Services is based in Marlton New Jersey and does home births!    She has been a doula for years before becoming home birth certified.  She is wonderful, I've attended two births with her.  Also, there is another new midwife in Delaware who might do NE Philly births - Laura Cochran - Sunrise Midwifery (http://www.sunrisemidwife.com/about.html).  Laura was working with Karen Webster of WomanWise Midwifery before striking out on her own after her apprenticeship was done.  She was the catcher for birth of my last daughter.  She was also really wonderful... very attentive, loves children, has always known what she wants to do, has passion, discipline and drive... really can't stay enough good about her!

#7 of 13 Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 PM

another vote for Christy and Motherland Midwifery. I had my HB with her and Carrie - they were fantastic!

rebecca: mama to Jack Oct09 born at home! - BF, Co-sleeping, cloth diapering, child-led solids; writer, book designer and teen mentor; dh 10+yrs (who gets to work at home!) and two cats.
#8 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 PM

I think Valley Birthplace would be a wonderful option for you - you can decide whether to use the Birth Center or HB option with them later on, without switching practices. Good experienced, personal care, several of my friends have used them. Should be far for you from the NE.

Good luck!

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#9 of 13 Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! I am now 16 weeks pregnant and I picked Valley Birthplace because 1.) The location. It's only 25 minutes from my house. and 2.) I liked having the option of HB, BC or hospital. I am leaning towards going the birth center because they have nice tubs! But HB keeps popping into my head too :)

#10 of 13 Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Congrats on your decision!!  I can't say enough wonderful things about Barbara and Melicia! 

#11 of 13 Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Natural Parents Network has a lot of resources for how to prepare for birth and beyond. You can check it out here. Congrats! I hope you have a wonderful experience! smile.gif

#12 of 13 Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 PM

Just to let you know...to my knowledge Valley Birthplace has decided to stop offering the homebirth option.  I am now deciding to either stay with them and use the BC or try to find a HB midwife.  

Wife to Josh ~ mommy to frankie (10-24-06) and hayley (7-25-09) and Caleb (4-30-11)
#13 of 13 Old 02-24-2011, 05:05 AM

Oh no!  When did they decide that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobiegirl View Post

Just to let you know...to my knowledge Valley Birthplace has decided to stop offering the homebirth option.  I am now deciding to either stay with them and use the BC or try to find a HB midwife.  

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page