Opinions about childhood illnesses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-08-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is mostly for the moms who haven't vaccinated. How do you feel about your child getting some of the childhood illnesses that they are commonly vaccinated against? I know by some of the threads here that a lot of you want your children to get wild caught chickenpox but do you feel the same about measles, mumps, whooping cough, etc.? I'm wondering how many of you are relying on the herd idea of your child not catching anything and how many of you wouldn't mind if your child got some or all of the childhood illnesses. I ask because I would like my 3-year-old daughter to get wild caught chickenpox, measles and mumps before the age of 6 and whatever ones she doesn't catch after that I will probably vaccinate for. However, some people I talk to think I'm crazy. I'd rather take my chances on a natural illness injuring my child than a synthetic pharmaceutical product injuring my child. You should also know that I plan on getting my daughter vaccinated against polio, since it is a debilitating illness and we plan on travelling outside the country soon. I'm on the fence about whooping cough. The DTaP has the most adverse reactions and there is more evidence that it isn't pertussis that is on the rise, it is parapertussis that has emerged from overvaccinating. Parapertussis has the same symptoms and vaccinating won't work. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 11-08-2010, 08:36 PM

I'd prefer my children get natural immunity rather than vaccinatated immunity, so I wouldn't mind if they got measles, mumps, etc.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#3 of 6 Old 11-21-2010, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping this up because I'm really interested in what people think.  For the people who don't vaccinate and don't mind if their kids get measles, mumps, chickenpox, etc; are you leaving up to chance or are you actively trying to have them get it?  I see a lot of chicken pox parties but not measles or mumps parties.  Would love some of your thoughts.

#4 of 6 Old 11-21-2010, 02:11 PM

I'm not actively looking for anything.  All 3 of my kids have had chickenpox, and anything else I'd leave up to chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestat24 View Post

Bumping this up because I'm really interested in what people think.  For the people who don't vaccinate and don't mind if their kids get measles, mumps, chickenpox, etc; are you leaving up to chance or are you actively trying to have them get it?  I see a lot of chicken pox parties but not measles or mumps parties.  Would love some of your thoughts.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#5 of 6 Old 11-21-2010, 02:15 PM

I never actively looked for cp but thankfully both kids had it a few months back. As for measles and mumps I have no intention of purposefully exposing them to it but if they catch it I will deal. As the kids age especially ds I am looking into vax again and may or may not get some for him depending on how I feel. For me the decision to stop vax was based more on my gut feeling and what I went through with dd and I will continue to follow my gut as time goes by.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

For me, if my daughter doesn't get measles or mumps by a certain age I will consider vaccinating.  I'm not sure what to do about whooping cough, though.  That vax is a tough one.  Anyway, I am looking for her to get measles or mumps but most people I talk to, even the ones who haven't vaccinated, think I'm crazy.  Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page