How invasive are the Midwives at Magee in PIT? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My last two births have been home births with a very non-invasive midwife.  Actually, my last home birth was an accidental uc and my midwife arrived about 5 minutes after the birth.  We just moved to the area and I have some bp problems that will most likely prevent me from having a home birth or birth center birth and I am looking at the midwives at Magee.  I'm pretty much a "hands off" person.  I don't want any vaginal check before the baby is born.  I don't like any dilation checks at all, as it tends to discourage and slow me down.  Is this something that I can inform them of or will I get grief? LOL  I don't want to be a "problem patient" right from the start.  Can anyone tell me how lenient they are as far as allowing you to have the care you want?  -Thanks!

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 AM

I delivered my first with a local OB and then had a VBAC with the Midwives at Magee.  No comparison really...but I think that's the norm lol.  The midwives seemed pretty laid back about things and were very patient with me and appointments were never rushed at all.  

They never even offered to check my cervix at my routine appointments.....even after I inquired about it, she said that they normally don't check unless you request it.  That was my personal experience.  I was going to the location in Cranberry mainly (now closed) and usually saw either Emily or Caroline. 

I pretty much showed up pushing and had an unmedicated VBAC.  They didn't even get an IV in until after the delivery, because I required some IV meds then.   No hassels about non-vaxing, breastfeeding, etc.  Overall great experience.   Good Luck!!

One sleepy mama to ds #1 (5) and ds #2...my VBAC baby (2) and expecting #3 sometime in 2/2012!!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yay!  Thank you so much.  I'm going to go ahead and make an appt.  I feel much better about it. love.gif

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 AM

I delivered my son with the midwives at magee in april. I couldn't have been happier with the experience.  I switched from an OB practice to the midwives during my 3rd trimester, and it was the best decision of my pregnancy. i had an unmedicated vaginal birth with midwife katherine.  i only had a vaginal exam when i went past my due date, and at my request.  katherine was wonderful during labor and delivery. she was very laid back and low-profile. she basically let my husband and i do our thing, and helped out when we needed her.  she was encouraging and supportive.  katherine and the nurses followed our birth plan to the letter.  overall, a wonderful experience!

Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had my first baby with them last year, and I was completely pleased with the experience. I started seeing them at the beginning of my pregnancy so don't have anyone to compare them to, obviously, but I didn't find them to be invasive at all. My first cervical check was at my forty week appointment, and it was my decision. I was checked a few times during labor, but only when I wanted to know what was going on.

User Tag List