Looking for Chicken Pox in Central NY - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-17-2011, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone's children have chicken pox?? I really want my ds to get it this year or next so hoping sooner rather than later!  I want our dd to get it too but she had the vax before I knew better.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#2 of 24 Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 PM

No, but I'm also looking here in Ulster county!

#3 of 24 Old 01-20-2011, 07:41 AM

I just exposed my children today...I'll keep you all posted if we come down with it! I'm about two hours from Kingston and 2.5 hours from Bridgeport in Schoharie Co. 

#4 of 24 Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 AM

#5 of 24 Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meksmama View Post

Anyone's children have chicken pox?? I really want my ds to get it this year or next so hoping sooner rather than later!  I want our dd to get it too but she had the vax before I knew better.

OH, I am in Madison County but am willing to travel or have lollipops or shirts sent to us! Anything to get my children exposed.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#6 of 24 Old 01-28-2011, 10:47 AM

Today is day seven for us after exposure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully we'll have some pox next week sometime! I'll keep you posted.

#7 of 24 Old 01-29-2011, 03:17 PM

That's how my older two got it.  Their mom sent us handmade pillowcases as a gift, but of course the kids HAD to play with them.  Shortly after they went into the mail, the kids started getting spotty.  None of us thought about it until after my kids came down with it after sleeping with the pillowcases nonstop for days with no other traceable source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meksmama View Post

OH, I am in Madison County but am willing to travel or have lollipops or shirts sent to us! Anything to get my children exposed.

#8 of 24 Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

my kids have been exposed via lolli's so if they get it I can let you know... 

#9 of 24 Old 02-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Our exposure appears to be a bust. My kids have only gotten colds and it's coming up on three weeks past exposure at the end of this week so I'm guessing it's a no go this time. We'll try again if anyone else comes down with it! 

#10 of 24 Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM

My fourth just ate a CP lollipop on Saturday, so if she gets them, I'll let you guys know!!!

#11 of 24 Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know how long it lasts on the lollipops? I have read it doesn't or maybe up to 24 hrs. Has anyone known of a case where a child has gotten it via pops on mail?

#12 of 24 Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Our pops came overnighted in the mail and we've gotten nothing. But then again, my crazy kids have been exposed something like three or four times with no results. Sigh. Kingston isn't a bad drive for me, so I've got my fingers crossed!!! 

#13 of 24 Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM

If anyone gets it, please do post where you are too.  Thanks everybody!

(I'm actually looking for a friend this time.  My dd got it on the 2nd try at age 3.  My babe is just 8 months, a bit young to get it and be sure of immunity, I believe.)

#14 of 24 Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM

Let me know if anyone has any close by.  I'm in Rochester and would gladly travel to get my son exposed.

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#15 of 24 Old 02-25-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Still waiting we are on day 18 so its not looking promising... However my friend in TX rec'd same lollipops I did and her children got it... 

#16 of 24 Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 PM

I'm trying to expose my daughter too.  will travel just about anywhere

#17 of 24 Old 02-27-2011, 07:43 AM

still looking

#18 of 24 Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 AM

Not to be mean or judgemental-just curious about why people want their children to get sick with a disease that makes them suceptible to shingles later in life. Having looked after people with shingles and the terrible pain and potential disfigurement- I would go out of my way to make sure kids aren't exposed to chicken pox-let alone the dangers of having chicken pox which are rare, but still life threatning.

#19 of 24 Old 02-27-2011, 12:10 PM

No offense taken.  Your post makes some assumptions that aren't correct.

1) Only people who have had chicken pox get shingles -- Sorry, people who've had the vaccine can get it too.

2) People who get the vaccine won't get chicken pox -- Nope.  Most people who get CP these days have the vaccine already.

3) Any immunity given by the vaccine will be permanent -- Another wrong.  The vaccine's immunity wears off, so if you give it to kids (who have the lowest rates of life threatening reactions) according to the recommended schedule, their immunity will be wearing off about the time that getting it begins to start getting more dangerous to get chicken pox.  I had CP at 23, I wouldn't wish that on anybody!
4) One can avoid chicken pox exposure -- Wouldn't that be nice?  Unfortunately, it's contagious *before* the pox appear, so anybody who has CP has already been exposing people for days, whether or not they intended to.

5) The chicken pox vaccine was created and is mandatory because it's best for the children's health -- One would LIKE to believe that, but unfortunately, the primary reason that it's mandatory is because of PARENTAL WORK PRESSURE.  Seriously, it's mandatory because some people felt that the lost work hours were a higher priority than potential health risks.

SOO, why don't I give my children CP vaccine?  I believe, and my children's doctors agreed, that a case of chicken pox as a small child is *safer* than risking being immune through childhood, then becoming vulnerable again just in time to get chicken pox during adulthood.  Of course, the funny part, despite multiple deliberate exposures, is that my older two kids ended up catching it and I have no idea where from.  And even if I *had* vaccinated my preschooler (she was 3.5), her younger brother was too young for the vaccine when he caught it.

Hope that helps some!

Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsu63 View Post

Not to be mean or judgemental-just curious about why people want their children to get sick with a disease that makes them suceptible to shingles later in life. Having looked after people with shingles and the terrible pain and potential disfigurement- I would go out of my way to make sure kids aren't exposed to chicken pox-let alone the dangers of having chicken pox which are rare, but still life threatning.

Meksmama likes this.
#20 of 24 Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Whoops.  I left out that part of our family's decision is that I am a stay home mother, so lost work hours isn't relevant to us.  Certainly not relevant enough to affect health care decisions.

Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMort View Post

SOO, why don't I give my children CP vaccine?  I believe, and my children's doctors agreed, that a case of chicken pox as a small child is *safer* than risking being immune through childhood, then becoming vulnerable again just in time to get chicken pox during adulthood.  Of course, the funny part, despite multiple deliberate exposures, is that my older two kids ended up catching it and I have no idea where from.  And even if I *had* vaccinated my preschooler (she was 3.5), her younger brother was too young for the vaccine when he caught it.

#21 of 24 Old 02-27-2011, 03:33 PM

In connecticut!  Looking for the Pox!! lots of it seems to be around and I keep missing it!!!  Will travel!

#22 of 24 Old 07-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Lollipops?!! I never heard of/thought of that?! Where would I get me two of those suckers?
#23 of 24 Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Still looking this year! 

#24 of 24 Old 05-23-2013, 02:58 PM

We attended a chicken pox party last Sat and we're waiting with fingers crossed! IF we get symptoms we will be sharing BIG TIME. Depending on interest, we may even have multiple days of parties. We live near Ithaca, NY. Please fill out the following form if you are interested and we'll email you when we know for sure we have symptoms. If there are a ton of people from one area, we'll pick a few to bring it back to the others :)
http://empoweredbeginnings.net/register/poxform.htm

SAHM to 2twins.gif (twin DDs, 6). One on the way Aug 14' joy.gif!!! Looking forward to (again!): belly.giffemalesling.GIFbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif Looking forward to (1st time!): stork-suprise.gifhomebirth.jpgplacenta.gifencapsulation!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page