Looking for a good, vaccine-flexible doc near Beacon, NY - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know of a good pediatrician in the lower Dutchess County area who is flexible on vaccines?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 AM

I little out of your way, but Dr. Baskin in Croton on Hudson is awesome and his standard schedule is actually much much more spaced out.  Loved him and wish I could still see him!  (we moved to PA)

#3 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomSmoo View Post

I little out of your way, but Dr. Baskin in Croton on Hudson is awesome and his standard schedule is actually much much more spaced out.  Loved him and wish I could still see him!  (we moved to PA)

Thank you!  Ironically, we go to Dr. Baskind's practice now, but had a bad experience with him, so we've been seeing Mary Ellen Stavitz, who is very knowledgeable and motherly.  When we told Dr. Baskind we were just considering not vaccinating, he went ballistic and told us we could kill our son.  We told him we were open to all arguments, and that if he wanted us to vaccinate, he should give us evidence to convince us it was safe and effective.  He said we were just "dead wrong," and that he wouldn't "do [our] reading for [us]."  So I should say that by "flexible," I mean we're looking for a doctor who is rational and emotionally stable, and doesn't threaten people for having a different point of view.  No offense intended to you for liking Dr. Baskind - actually, we were referred to him by a good family friend who also thinks he's great.

#4 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Holy moly -- REALLY.  I am truly in shock.  He is the one who suggested we skip the chicken pox, delay MMR and skip flu.  And he would always give me research and let me make the decision.  I wonder what the heck happened since we have been there.  Sorry you had a bad experience. 

#5 of 7 Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM

I've had a bad experience with Baskin myself - though never on sick visits - but on a well visit, he didn't even like the delayed schedule I had agreed to with Dr. Cowan.

That said, Dr. Cowan is the good one there - I've never had issues with him.  I do delayed vax schedule, but I also have a non-vaxing friend who uses Cowan, and she has no issues with him at all.

I try to stay away from everyone else there unless it is for a sick visit.

#6 of 7 Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks sillyrabbit.  I'm sorry that we never had a visit with Dr. Cowan.  The weird sequel to our bad experience with Baskind, was on our next visit with Mary Ellen, he came by, expressed surprise that we had come back, and then seemed to try to apologize, but in a very awkward way that ended up with him bragging about a letter he had published in the British Medical Journal or something.  All in all, I think he's very full of himself and ignorant of others.  I do think Mary Ellen is good, and has no problem with alternative vax schedules.  We moved to Beacon, and haven't been back there.  We are going to Dr. Malak in Poughkeepsie, who seems very laid back (maybe too much?).  We'll see how it goes.  By the way, Trix are for kids!

#7 of 7 Old 04-07-2011, 03:43 AM

I was going to suggest Bambibi Peds in Poughkeepsie, but that's Dr Malak, right?  I've heard great things; what do you think?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page