Does anyone know if the low-income state insurance in PA covers midwives, either in the hospital or at home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That kind of says it all. 

We are going to be there and soon and I am rather far along and am trying to get this worked out.

Thanks!

#2 of 8 Old 02-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Moving to Finding Your Tribe... I hope one of the "local" moms will have the info you need!  Good luck with the move and with the babe on the way!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 8 Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 PM

yes, it covers midwives, hospital and homebirth (although there are only a handful of nurse midwives who do homebirths..unfortunately, it doesn't cover CPM's or traditional midwives)...where do you live? If you can't find a practice, I can try to help you find one that acccepts assistance. Do you have Gateway?

#4 of 8 Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Yes, thank goodness! Where are you moving to in PA?

#5 of 8 Old 02-16-2011, 04:45 AM

Where are you moving to?

We are in the Pittsburgh region, and I know of two midwife practices that take the state health cards.  They are not hb midwives though.  One practice has a birth center, and the other is hospital based. 

#6 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks~ I think we have it worked out.  I didn't have internet for a while, and ended up going in to OBGYN of Lancaster.  They said they take the state insurance, and were really great.  I guess they have midwives that deliver in Heart of Lancaster, and some of them are supposed to be great. 

#7 of 8 Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 PM

pm me if you want contact info for a homebirth mw (cnm).  i've used her for both of my births (the 2nd was just over a month ago) and i can't rave enough!

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#8 of 8 Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM

Hello,

Just joined and love the information I'm seeing here. I am also in the same area, Wayne , PA and would like help finding a homebirth MW (cnm) that takes insurance from PA. I just found out that I am pregnant with my 3rd pea. The first was delivered by a birth center midwife in a hospital. The second by a regular MD at a hospital. For the third I'm definitely considering a homebirth, if I can afford it. Any help would be appreciated. I tried to PM the two members below but was not able to send it for some reason. Please PM me if you can or I don't mind posting an email to get the info. I've seen all the negative reviews of the hospitals near by and am frankly terrified of going to them. The one that's closest to me with a decent review was Wayne Memorial Hospital but even they have a 30+% c-section rate. Please any help you can provide would be greatly and eternally appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315 View Post

yes, it covers midwives, hospital and homebirth (although there are only a handful of nurse midwives who do homebirths..unfortunately, it doesn't cover CPM's or traditional midwives)...where do you live? If you can't find a practice, I can try to help you find one that accepts assistance. Do you have Gateway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn08 View Post

pm me if you want contact info for a homebirth mw (cnm).  i've used her for both of my births (the 2nd was just over a month ago) and i can't rave enough!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page