Selective vaccinations in NYC? How? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI

How do you do selective vaxing in NYC????!!!

I know you can get a religious exception but what

if you want to give one or 2 vaccines? I know people do it but how? 

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 02:35 PM

You really can't, afaik.  The NYS vaccine registry is now mandated, there is no opt-out.  If your child gets a vaccine, it's recorded in the registry.  Any school can legally track your child's vaccine records (FERPA) through the registry - and if you claim an exemption it's likely they will.  They can and will deny a religious exemption if you try to selectively vaccinate.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 AM

There's ALWAYS a way if you really stand behind it. Yes, it takes a lot of work, endurance and back bone to follow through with it. You will be kicked out of your pediatric practice (but there are vax-friendly doc's even in NYC), you have to educate yourself, and most importantly - never let anybody intimidate you! "No shots no school" seems like an insurmountable matter-of-fact, but it is not. Those slogans are designed to discourage parents to even look into their options. Don't be afraid. We did it and against all odds it was way less trouble than we thought it would be. We do selectively vaxing and submitted a religious exemption. The school (private) never asked us any questions. As I understand, it's easier for private schools to reject exemptions because they don't receive public funding. But public schools HAVE to consider exemptions, it's the law. You might be summoned and questioned, but if you are prepared and know what to expect anything is possible. Have you read the vaccine section of this board? Tons and tons of information, personal stories and encouragement! And you will find lots of useful information here and here.    

Good luck, it's so worth it!

Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!

Swissmom -Can I ask how you did it? Did you vax your child in NY or in another state?

Feeling overwhelmed...It is hard enough to make these difficult decisions and it is upsetting to feel like we have no choice when it comes to our kid's health!!!! :(

Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry-forgot to ask-I thought it was easier to get into a private school with a selectively/no vaxed kid than a public school. Is that not the case???

Old 02-11-2011, 04:02 PM

Absolutely, I feel the same: no compromises when it comes to my child's health!

Well, we did the vax overseas. Why do you think it makes a difference in which state it was given? All that matters is to find a a vax-flexible pediatrician. If (s)he is fine with zero or selective vaxing, you won't be pressured into giving more vaccines than you prefer.

I carefully drafted our exemption. Apparently the wording must be absolutely airtight. Every single word matters. There is a lot of information on the internet about this, so don't lose heart! I geared our exemption letter to the philosophy/mentality of our school, maybe I would have used different wording for another one. And as I said, they have never once commented on our vax status.

If - after researching and studying all your options - you still feel too overwhelmed, maybe you might consider consulting a vaccine lawyer. There is one in NYC who specializes in exemptions and all other aspects of non- or selectively-vaxing. Don't remember his name right now, but you'll find him for sure on the websites I posted above.

There are different viewpoints on whether it's easier to get into private or public school when not completely immunized. Private schools like the Montessoris might accept it due to their non-traditional educational philosophy. Public schools that receive federal funding (or semi-private schools that receive ANY federal money) must abite by federal law and at least consider to accept exemptions. At the end of the day, it's pure luck if your school will give you a hard time or not.

By the way, I think you would be surprised by how many parents opt out of vaxinating according to schedule these days, even in NYC. You won't hear about it too often, since it's still a stigma and you will do better to keep your child's vax status to yourself. But you are not alone, that's for sure. smile.gif

Old 02-11-2011, 04:14 PM

The people I know who have done this in NYC have done vaccines they wanted early, and then filed a religious waiver after these were done. Essentially this is saying that you used to vaccinate but have had a change of heart and will no longer do any. Also, some private schools are more accepting of selective vaccination status, and some are less so, just depends. What they have to file with the city shows how many vaccinated and up to date kids, and how many religious waiver children attend the school. Some will tell you that they just want a vax waiver and don't want to know if you've done any vaxes unless you've done them all. They can probably check such a claim against the state registry, but it seems that some do and some don't.

There's also the catch up schedule, which shows the minimum doses that must be given of each vax before the start of school (ie-you don't have to have all 3 doses of Hep B, you must have 1, and are supposed to continue on the schedule assigned by the state.). Most schools don't follow up on if you're keeping up with the catch up schedule more often than 1/year at the start of school, so it can buy you a little time if you're delaying. 

I catch up to the minimums before preschool programs, so I don't have any more info than that though. 

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies!

We haven't done any vaccines yet but are considering a couple at this time. I suppose it doesn't matter what state you get the vaccines (other than NY) but was wondering if they can find out that we vaxed in another state-if the registers are shared nationally, etc....

My kid's doctor is pro vax but never pushed us or pressured us in any way and is used to people doing selective vaxes. However, I imagine that I can't share what I do with her right (meaning-going to another state to vaccinate)? otherwise it will go in my child's health record??? It is very nerve wrecking to think we will have to go to another state (or country) to get the vaccines and not have our regular doctor to touch base in case our LO has some kind of reaction (Hopefully not :-( )

Anyway,

Thanks for the answers and support....

Old 02-12-2011, 06:57 PM

If you look at what you need for a public school K, skipping daycare/pre-k, it's not that much. So you can do what I do and most moms I know here do and make a schedule to get only those done spread over 5 years. Some of the newer vaccines aren't on the ny list. And it's easy to find a doc who will work with you. Off the top of my was I think you need to have dtap, mmr, chicken pox, hep b, polio, and prenevar? Am I forgetting any? It actually has been really easy to split them up I feel like we hardly ever vax.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Actually, if you wait until K, there's no prevnar needed either. It's 4 DTAP, 3 Polio, 3 Hep B, 2 MMR, 1 Chicken pox. 

http://www.health.state.ny.us/publications/2370.pdf

Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

No HIb?

I thought it was mandatory...

Thanks Everyone!!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debobu View Post

No HIb?

I thought it was mandatory...

Thanks Everyone!!

HiB is needed for daycare/preschool/Pre-K; but not if you don't do school until K.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM

Debobu, I also posted this in a separate thread, but you might be interested. Sherri Tenpenny, one of the most outspoken vaccine-critic has a free event at NYU this Friday:

http://www.vaccineepidemic.com/images/nyuflyer2-2-11.pdf

Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank You Swissmom!!!

User Tag List