Hackettstown Midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm considering using the Hackettstown Midwives for my next homebirth and I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about the financial side of things with them?  My understanding is that they're out of network for everyone and that they ask for $500 up front.  Does that sound right?  Are there any other up front costs with them?  Do you pay your portion of the cost (in my case 65%) in monthly installments or as a lump sum when your insurance is billed?  What is the total that they charge?  Thanks so much for any info!

#2 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM

I didn't use them, but I'm right in the area (one town over in Budd Lake) and just had an awesome home birth with Jessica Lawlor, and her backup Dina who actually ended up being at the birth. Just writing in case you were researching other options too. I know how overwhelming researching can be!

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#3 of 7 Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

I used Jessica for my last birth and had a great experience, but our insurance wouldn't cover her at all and we just can't afford that price again so soon because we're in the middle of major renovations on our house.  CNMs are really my only choice for a homebirth this time around.  It's looking like Judy Hagen or the Hackettstown midwives for me.  Thanks though!

#4 of 7 Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM

I don't have info on the financial side, b/c I used them before they started their own practice, but I just wanted to say I loooooved them.  All three of them, for different reasons.  Good luck!

#5 of 7 Old 02-19-2011, 04:57 PM

I used the Hackettstown Midwives for my daughter's birth before they were in private practice though she was born at Hackettstown Hospital, not at home.  I loved them!  They are wonderful!

#6 of 7 Old 03-09-2011, 03:50 PM

I used Hackettstown Midwives and their billing system really does sound too good to be true. They bill everyone out-of-network and charge $500. The remainder of their fee is sent to your insurance company and they are satisfied with what they get from them. At least this is true for their prenatal care and your home birth. End up at a hospital with a c-section like I did (long story), and the hospital bills your insurance for your stay and doctors fees.

My son was born in early December and I have not seen an insurance statement for the Midwives' care., nor have I received a bill from them. At this point, I'm not expecting to see one.

They were awesome! I can't recommend them enough.

EDIT:  Just remembered... Any additional cost is for your birth kit and other supplies you want for birthing, which you purchase on your own with direction from them, but the $ doesn't go to them.

#7 of 7 Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Well I am going to hackettstown midwives right now, so I just wanted to fill in the info.

They charge $500 upfront as a deposit. What I understood is, they charge a total of $3000 as an out of network provider. The $500 is included in it. The rest of it will be charged after the birth as delivery charges. So it depends on how much is your out of network compensation and what is your deductible. Also if you go to the hospital, you ll have to pay hospital per day charge that your insurance will charge.

I think its the same with home delivery too. But I am not sure about that.

What they told me is that they get most of it out of the insurance company and what we pay will be very little.

But they have such good reviews, I just decided to spend a little if I have to. Will update in another 9-10 months when I get billed :D.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page