Looking for a midwife or OB/GYN on Long Island - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've recently found out that I'm pregnant. It was a total surprise. This is my first pregnancy and I would like any suggestions or advice on who to use (or who is terrible and I should never use!) I would prefer a midwife, but am not totally opposed to an OB/GYN. I don't think I'm looking to do a homebirth, would love a birth center, but there don't seem to be any here on Long Island.

All of this is totally new to me, and it's a little scary/overwhelming!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#2 of 17 Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 PM

There are no birth centers on Long Island, but Nassau University Medical Center has a waterbirth room.  I had my 2nd son there and it was an absolutely amazing birth.  I'm due with baby boy #3 in April, and I'm seeing Susan Brockmann from Gaia midwives who caught my 2nd son as well. I couldn't say enough wonderful things about her, she's really fantastic.  Several midwives on the island attend births at NUMC so you should meet with a few and see who you click with

#3 of 17 Old 02-28-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response! I've emailed with Susan Brockmann, so it's nice to hear that someone else likes her. 

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is that I would be delivering at NUMC, it's my least favorite hospital around here. But, if it's where Susan delivers and it's really the only waterbirth place I will just have to deal with it. 

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#4 of 17 Old 02-28-2011, 05:33 PM

I had my first at South Nassau with an OB and the postpartum rooms were so nice and recently remodeled, but the birth was really traumatic for me.  I was nervous about being at NUMC, but the waterbirth room itself is really nice and (at least it was this way 2 years ago) all of the midwives patients are in a private room postpartum.  So I decided it was worth it to have the birth experience I wanted even if I was in a less cushy recovery room.  My son was in my room almost every second, except for the daily newborn check in the nursery and he slept in the bed with me.  They never bothered me about having him in the room and were really hands off.  You might feel better about it after you take a tour.

#5 of 17 Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM

I had my first (and only) birth at South Nassau too. I agree that the rooms are gorgeous and the maternity/recovery nurses are very sweet. They did give me a crap load of formula and disposable diapers when I left, but I know their intentions were good. My recovery from my c-section was horrible and they even offered to let me stay an extra night.

As far as the birth/surgery...yeah, I will cry if I get into the details of it. The L & D nurses are pretty much hit or miss. If I was not a VBAC mom, I might have gone back for a second birth. But, I am 100% sure that I'd have to fight like a warrior to get a VBAC there.

If you want to stay in Long Island, I think you should consider NUMC. From what I've heard and read, you'd have a pretty good chance at keeping interventions to the bare minimum there.

#6 of 17 Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM

Im not from Long Island, but know that no matter who you choose, a Doula is a priceless member to your birth team. You can find Student Doulas who will assist you for free or very little cost or you can find very experienced Doulas who charge more, but have more experience and knowledge. DONA.org is a great place to look. You can also post on the boards here for good recommendations. Doulas are knows to help reduce intervention rates by a significant amount, and they are there to help you fight for YOUR birth experience to go the way YOU want it. Best of Luck!

#7 of 17 Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 AM

I absolutely second going with Gaia and giving NUMC a chance. Julie caught my VBA2C baby at NUMC in February. The place isn't pretty but the L&D unit was fantastic. Even the attending doctor was cheering me on!

#8 of 17 Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

To be honest, I can't think of a hospital that would really be much better than NUMC for an uncomplicated birth. If you were a high risk patient, I might suggest going elsewhere, but for a natural birth, Long Island hospitals range from terrible to unspectacular. Stony Brook is reasonable, but unless you're coming from Suffolk County, it would be a long trip.

And no, you will not VBAC at South Nassau. They did 2 in 2009.

(Not on LI anymore--but my family and friends still are!)

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#9 of 17 Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Hi. What part of Long Island are you from? There is a group of midwives at Stony Brook who are supposed to be wonderful. I've never used them personally but a friend is having her second baby with them in about a month or so. That's an alternative if you are out in Suffolk. I see a Dr. Sara Schwartz out in West Islip who is WONDERFUL. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor when I had my daughter. Her office staff is great too. They were very supportive and helpful throughout the pregnancy. I birthed at Southside hospital in Bay Shore. Most of the nurses there were wonderful. I had a couple of duds but there are always a couple.

Anyway. Congrats and good luck!

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#10 of 17 Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 AM

Do not consider Southside if you want a birth with minimal interference. They love c-sections there. Also, VBAC's are banned in that hospital. I had my son there 16 years ago and would never set foot in that hospital if my life depended on it. I birthed my daughter via VBAC at NUMC with a midwife and I concur that the staff is simply wonderful.
#11 of 17 Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 AM

Do not consider Southside if you want a birth with minimal interference. They love c-sections there. Also, VBAC's are banned in that hospital. I had my son there 16 years ago and would never set foot in that hospital if my life depended on it. I birthed my daughter via VBAC at NUMC with a midwife and I concur that the staff is simply wonderful.
#12 of 17 Old 06-27-2011, 07:49 AM

posted twice, sorry

#13 of 17 Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Wow, posted three times. Sorry again.

#14 of 17 Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Hey there. just thought I'd mention this website from the state that gives statistics on different New York hospitals. I found it invaluable when trying to decide where to birth.

http://hospitals.nyhealth.gov/

And here's another state site that lists doctors and their info (practice location, phone #, where they went to school and if they have any malpractice cases). I found that very helpful also in choosing doctors over the years.

http://www.nydoctorprofile.com/

Good luck with wherever you choose!

Also if you can get a hospital tour, take it. I went on every one I could and that really helped in making my decision (that and telling my doctor my expectations).

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#15 of 17 Old 07-09-2011, 03:48 AM

I had a birth doula client give birth with Barbara Charles at NUMC.  Barbara was wonderful.  I highly recommend her.

#16 of 17 Old 07-12-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmy2Joshs View Post

There are no birth centers on Long Island, but Nassau University Medical Center has a waterbirth room.  I had my 2nd son there and it was an absolutely amazing birth.  I'm due with baby boy #3 in April, and I'm seeing Susan Brockmann from Gaia midwives who caught my 2nd son as well. I couldn't say enough wonderful things about her, she's really fantastic.  Several midwives on the island attend births at NUMC so you should meet with a few and see who you click with

I had my first at Nassau and though the rooms weren't that nice, I was able to keep my son (and DH) in my room with me the whole time. I had Dale from Gaia and she's great. I'm 32 weeks pregnant currently and am planning a home birth with Dale.

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#17 of 17 Old 07-12-2011, 05:53 PM

Oh- wow - didn't realize this thread was so old!

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page