OBGYN in Pittsburgh - Mothering Forums
New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania > OBGYN in Pittsburgh
AnnieC's Avatar AnnieC 03:09 PM 03-24-2011

I'm in the process of changing prenatal providers during pregnancy (I'm 19-20 weeks along), and I have my choices narrowed down to two, but am hoping I can get advice on one of my potential choices. Has anyone used or heard anything about the OBGYN Associates of Pittsburgh (address: 3380 Blvd of the Allies)? I'm also thinking of using the Midwives of Magee (because I've heard a lot of great things about them and nothing negative), but still want to research the OB practice.

Thanks!

newmommy7-08's Avatar newmommy7-08 06:04 PM 03-28-2011

I'm not farmiliar w/ the OB's but I used the Midwives for both of my pregnancies. My first w/ DS was phenomenal. The midwives are absolutely wonderful and supportive and just overall fantastic! My birth w/ DS was an unmedicated vaginal birth w/only the midwife, my nurse, my awesome doula, hubby and MIL in attendance. In was truly awesome! My second was a c-section w/ the MFM docs at Magee. Dr. Crosure (sp?) did my surgery but my midwife was right there with me. All of my appts and any questions I had. They hoped and prayed right along with me the entire time hoping we were going to avoid a c-section, refusing to talk like it was an inevitable ending. (Twin pregnancy BabyA Breech) In the end she didn't turn so we were stuck w/ the C-section. During the procedure my midwife held my hand and talked me through everything while the anes. did the spinal, saw me afterward and during my stay.  

cappuccinosmom's Avatar cappuccinosmom 10:53 AM 03-30-2011

I would go with the midwives.  I adore them. love.gif

I don't know what things are like now that they are with Magee.  When they were with Allegheny General Hosp, their OB's were a bunch of stinkers.  Hopefully things are better at Magee.  But if you are low risk you don't even have to go the hospital route, since there is the free-standing birth center which is amazing. You couldn't find a better group of caregivers.  Even though policy bumped me out of delivering at the birth center, and the doctors were jerks, the midwives were *wonderful* and respected my desire for natural birth and helped me work with the system in order to achieve that.

newmommy7-08's Avatar newmommy7-08 12:13 PM 03-30-2011

We're actually talking about 2 different sets of midwives. The ones w/ the freestanding birth center are the ones who are now working with doctors at Mercy and from what I understand these doctors are even more 'difficult' than the last set. Maybe it's because they haven't worked together as long, I don't know... They are the Midwife Center. The midwives at Magee have been there quite a while and have always worked with Magee. Something else that I really like about magee is that they treat the doula (if you have one) as part of the staff so she doesn't count against your # of support people allowed and if things wind up not going how you want and for whatever reason  you have to deliver in the OR she's allowed to go with you. This was important to me because vaginal birth or c-section, with the twins I was OR bound for delivery and I wanted my doula there with us.

marieangela's Avatar marieangela 09:39 AM 04-07-2011

Just wanted to add that I had two of my children with the Midwives at Magee and had great experiences both times.  I would definitely recommend them.

griciai's Avatar griciai 12:38 PM 04-07-2011

I, unfortunately, have nothing to add - only that I'd love to hear more about OB/Gyn/Midwife recommendations as well. We'll be moving to the north of Pittsburgh (from NY) about 3 weeks after I deliver our baby, and I'll need a post partum check fairly quickly...

I'll be watching your thread - thanks for posting it, and good luck with your choice when you switch!

:)

Lamashtu's Avatar Lamashtu 12:40 PM 04-07-2011

Nothing to add, just wanted to give a shout-out to my hometown, Fox Chapel (northern 'burb of Pittsburgh)!

Addie's Avatar Addie 12:53 PM 04-07-2011

Just another shout-out for the Midwives at Magee. I had my only child with them in 2009. Loved everything about the experience.

MamaJ27's Avatar MamaJ27 09:17 AM 10-01-2012
The Midwives at Magee are AMAZING!
roxyro's Avatar roxyro 04:50 PM 04-08-2013

I just found out I am 7 weeks pregnant so I google reviews on UPMC midwives and read great things so I called last week to make our first appointment with them.  They weren't able to see me until almost 3 weeks later but that was fine with me - I was just excited to make my first prenatal appointment ever.

Today I woke up to spotting/bleeding and was pretty concerned. I called the midwives to see if I could come in sooner for a blood test, ultrasound, something to reassure me that I wasn't having a miscarriage or low on progesterone which is easily fixable.  

I work in the same building as the midwives and was at magee when I made the call to them. The medical secretary quickly got a nurse/midwife for me after I explained my situation.  Apparently a nurse/midwife named Cara told me they couldn't do anything to help me because I 'wasn't a patient'. I was told to go the ER if I soak through a sanitary pad and pretty much a 'welp, good luck - you're not our problem'. I cried at work alone in a room wondering if I was miscarrying or would be soon thereafter.

An hour later I decided to call my fertility doctor whom I have a patient relationship with, also at UPMC Magee.  They couldn't help me either because I had gotten pregnant without their help (we tried clomid with them for 2 months after trying for 6 months, took a break from it and then became pregnant with this baby). I cried even harder again alone in a room wondering why I couldn't get help from any of the docs/midwives/nurses that I had or have been forming relationships with. 

I haven't seen my regular gyne because I had moved, changed insurances, etc.   I was in no man's land today and nobody at UPMC could've cared less.  Beware. They really don't care. 

roxyro's Avatar roxyro 04:51 PM 04-08-2013

I just found out I am 7 weeks pregnant so I google reviews on UPMC midwives and read great things so I called last week to make our first appointment with them.  They weren't able to see me until almost 3 weeks later but that was fine with me - I was just excited to make my first prenatal appointment ever.

Today I woke up to spotting/bleeding and was pretty concerned. I called the midwives to see if I could come in sooner for a blood test, ultrasound, something to reassure me that I wasn't having a miscarriage or low on progesterone which is easily fixable.  

I work in the same building as the midwives and was at magee when I made the call to them. The medical secretary quickly got a nurse/midwife for me after I explained my situation.  Apparently a nurse/midwife named Cara told me they couldn't do anything to help me because I 'wasn't a patient'. I was told to go the ER if I soak through a sanitary pad and pretty much a 'welp, good luck - you're not our problem'. I cried at work alone in a room wondering if I was miscarrying or would be soon thereafter.

An hour later I decided to call my fertility doctor whom I have a patient relationship with, also at UPMC Magee.  They couldn't help me either because I had gotten pregnant without their help (we tried clomid with them for 2 months after trying for 6 months, took a break from it and then became pregnant with this baby). I cried even harder again alone in a room wondering why I couldn't get help from any of the docs/midwives/nurses that I had or have been forming relationships with. 

I haven't seen my regular gyne because I had moved, changed insurances, etc.   I was in no man's land today and everyone at UPMC could've cared less.  Beware. They really don't care. 

roxyro's Avatar roxyro 04:55 PM 04-08-2013

I haven't seen my regular gyne because I had moved, changed insurances, etc.   I was in no man's land today and everyone at UPMC could've cared less.  Beware. They really don't care. 

Up