Best places to live near Colonie, NY (Albany/Capital region) for naturally minded young family? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband was offered a job in Colonie and we will hopefully be moving to NY over the summer.

For my sanity, I need a place that I can safely walk, if it's to a location (i.e. a park, library, coffee shop, or natural food store etc.) all the better, but around the block or neighborhood would suffice.  What school districts are coveted and which ones have lot of room for improvement?  It's so hard to tell on the internet what places are thriving.  I'm not really sure how to phrase this question and any/ all info on the area is appreciated. 

Where would you recommend living, based on walkability, safety, schools, other appeal? 

Thanks for your time!  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 AM

Hi Green Beagle,

My husband is interviewing for a job in Waterford.  I'm wondering if you found a nice place to live and have any recommendations?  Ideal would be good schools, a little culture, and a lot of outdoor activity.

Thanks for any help you can give, best of luck with your move.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM

We are also probably moving into the area.  Based on schools we have narrowed it down to Clifton Park, Niskayuna, East Greenbush, N Colonie (mostly eliminated that b/c it's too close to the airport).  We took a drive through Clifton Park and Niskayuna. CP is newer, more mcmansions, no real downtown, but nice multi-use paths, neighborhoods, etc.  Niskayuna seems to have more older established neighborhoods, nice bike path near the river, but again no real downtown.  Didn't get to drive though East Greenbush, but it seems nicer and a little smaller (~4500 people vs. clifton park, 36000)

Can anyone who actually lives in the area weigh in on these?  I posted something earlier w/ no response...

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I would say that your descriptions of Clifton Park and Niskayuna are accurate. 

South Colonie also has a good school district, low taxes, though "north colonie is better" is a popular comment around here.  It seems that high school isn't quite as good - but for us, high school is a long way off and the elementary schools are solid.  

In general I LOVE upstate NY! I'm very happy to have moved here!  Good luck.

User Tag List