Morristown or Mountainside? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-04-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love mountainside hospital but I'm hearing so many good things about morristown especially since you get your own private room. I'm planning on having a vbac and i just want to choose what hospital so i can choose a good doctor. I'm very picky about this because NJ have very high c-section rates. We want more than three children so if i cant push my next child out it will be very devastating. Any advice? Which hospital do you think is better to go to?

#2 of 7 Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 AM

I would say Morristown! I haven't delivered there but I know my midwife worked with them and I've seen the birthing rooms and they are lovely! Birth balls, pools, privacy etc...

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#3 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Both hospitals have really high cesarean rates but Morristown has a better VBAC rate (11.3 vs 5.8%).  Morristown also has a much better VBAC success rate (referring to the percent of VBAC attempts that are successful).  Only 42% of VBAC attempts are successful at Mountainside while about 71% of VBAC attempts are successful at Morristown.

That being said, you still can't factor out the impact of your care provider.  I think Morristown has a lot more providers that will support VBAC than Mountainside does.  In other words, you still need to make sure you are using a doctor or midwife who is truly supportive of VBAC.

I would suggest touring both hospitals and see which one seems to have better policies and tools to support natural birth (e.g. wireless monitoring, saline-locks vs running IVs, showers, tubs, birthing balls, allowing for movement out of bed while in labor, etc).  Then interview doctors/midwives to see whose philosophy is most in line with yours. 

budwana birth likes this.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#4 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

you are so right. Im going with a doctor names judy Banks. She is a doctor that supports vbacs. The ICAN website gave me her name letting me know she supports vbacs. Wish me luck!

#5 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 AM

I had a VBAC in Morristown in March.  They insist on monitoring you the whole time which is annoying, but they were supportive of the VBAC (my nurse had all 4 of hers naturally), but thank goodness my midwife was there to shut up my Doctor who was quite gloomy!  Make sure your Dr/Midwife is very pro VBAC and I'm sure you'll do well.

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#6 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Stelly what midwife did u use? my insurance only accept certain midwives
#7 of 7 Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Dr Banks is wonderful.  She is definitely supportive of VBACs and would be my first choice at Morristown.  The staff there likes her too which helps.  ;)

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page