CHICKENPOX ANYONE?????? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have until September to find CHICKENPOX or we will have no alternative but to vaccinate.  We are from Long Island, but will travel. We will bring the snacks and refreshments, you provide the POX!!!!! Can anyone help????????

#2 of 18 Old 06-25-2011, 10:19 AM

I'm looking for The Pox over in Pittsburgh too.  Anyone?

#3 of 18 Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 PM

I'm from nyc but will travel for my kids to get cp.  PM me so we can keep touch with any updates.  tks

#4 of 18 Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Forgive my ignorance here but why seek out getting CP vs. getting the vaccine?

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#5 of 18 Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 PM

While I won't speak for others.  I would prefer my kids to have the pox because I'm not convinced vaccinating our kids against the pox is a good idea in the long run.  We all know it's much better to have the pox as children and that it gets worse as humans get older.  Most vaccines have a limited life span.  I get nervous thinking the vaccine is going to wear off just about the time getting the pox is really dangerous.  And before anyone mentions eradicating the pox with vaccines, it's a live vaccine so people can get the pox from it.  (I'm not repeating gossip or something that happened to my third cousin's, best friend.  When I was pg with dd2, dd1's friend and her mother got the pox from the vaccine.  Which required me to go through hoops because I was pg.)

If kids get the pox and the natural immunity that comes from the pox, this is no longer an issue.

#6 of 18 Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Kat, but if the vaccine is a live vaccine why is getting it via a party any better than getting a shot?  I do know that they are saying the  vaccine is the reason for the large increase in the case of shingles in older people (because being exposed to young people with chicken pox is typically what kept it in check previously.

Can't they do titers for pox like they can other things?

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#7 of 18 Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 AM

I'll share my experience...we vaccinated our first born (long before I knew about vaccination choice)  and we were exposed to the wild virus...and he still contracted chicken pox.  He had the fever, blisters and the whole nine yards, just as if the shots had not done what it claimed to do.  I wound up feeling like if this shot didn't "work" why did I do any of them at all?

Now, three children later and much more educated, my understanding of this particular vaccine and disease is that if my kids get wild CP at a reasonable age, the chances of contracting it later in life are slim, save shingles.  The vaccine on the other hand is a commitment to an every 10 year booster PLUS you have a chance to contract shingles or CP at anytime (based on my personal observations and experience).

#8 of 18 Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 AM

Because getting it from someone guarantees lifetime immunity.  (For people that gain the full immunity, I know there are people that can get cp more than once because they don't receive the full immunity.  But the number of people are small.)  Where as vaccines only last for so long. 

I don't know if you can get titers for cp.  But again, if you can get the cp from the vaccine/titers, my concern is what is going to happen to all of these kids when they're adults and are being exposed to it again?  Especially since we know how much worse cp is for adult than children.  And when I asked that question, the response I got from the doctor is, they've been doing this for 20 years in Japan and have had no problem.  But that means we just don't have enough history.  20 years is only old enough for kids to now be hitting their 20's. 

The reality is, I don't relish my kids getting actual cp.  I really don't.  I just don't think the vaccine is a guarantee that they won't experience difficulties from cp and I'd rather those difficulties be as "less" as possible.

#9 of 18 Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

Quote:
I don't know if you can get titers for cp. You can. But again, if you can get the cp from the vaccine/titers, my concern is what is going to happen to all of these kids when they're adults and are being exposed to it again? Titers means testing for immunity. You CAN NOT get CP from a test.

here are a few links - there is also lots on info on the vaccine section on the thread there - 

http://www.compassionatesouls.com/chickenpox.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/04/030416090245.htm

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6093535.html  (there is a lot here and it talks about Japan)

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#10 of 18 Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 AM

Why is the vaccine less effective then getting it naturally if they are using a CP virus?  I've gotten the whopping cough myself 2x in the past 6 years.   My body just won't build an immunity to it which is going to stink when I get older.  I guess some people's bodies just don't want to hold immunity to certain things.

#11 of 18 Old 08-17-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Why is the vaccine less effective then getting it naturally if they are using a CP virus?

with the vaccine there is NO long-term proof of immunity unlike getting it naturally- thus is might wear off when the young adult is in there 20's and they will have no way of knowing and IF it is a female who happens to be preggers (and so far they don't test you for CP during pregnancy) you could be in for a real problem!

MOST insurance companies will not pay for titier tests just because you want one- no way to know if you are still immune or not CP if you had the vaccine

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#12 of 18 Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 PM

My apology, I thought titers was the booster shot you can get for some vaccines once their effectiveness has worn off.  Thank you for the clarification.

#13 of 18 Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Interesting.

My Mom had chicken pox at 34 and almost died.  At 35 she got pregnant with my sister who was born (because of the CP) with a natural immunity.  The doctor said as soon as she hits 1 to do whatever you can to get her exposed.  That girl sleep over everyone's house in our neighborhood, my grandparents neighborhoods and even a few friends of friends.  Finally when she was 6 she got it.  Very mild and they warned my Mom she may not have full immunity.  I think when she's ready to get pregnant I may have to remind her and have her get vaccinated before she TTC.

#14 of 18 Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM

to each their own 

Quote:
I think when she's ready to get pregnant I may have to remind her and have her get vaccinated before she TTC.

I would never advise someone to do so- I would hope the person wanted to be their healthiest prior to TTC not filling their body with carcinogens and do their own research weighting the risks.

&

#15 of 18 Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM

What carcenogens are in the CP vaccine?

#16 of 18 Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
What carcenogens are in the CP vaccine?

you might want to look at the insert (it is on line)  just because they did not "test" does not mean it does not cause-----they are NOT required to test to see IF

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/varivax/varivax_pi.pdf

http://www.whale.to/v/a/varivax1.htm

VARIVAX has not been evaluated for its carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or its potential to impair 

fertility. 

Pregnancy 

Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with VARIVAX. It is also 

not known whether VARIVAX can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect 

reproduction capacity. Therefore, VARIVAX should not be administered to pregnant females; furthermore, 

pregnancy should be avoided for three months following vaccination (see CONTRAINDICATIONS). 

here is a site that will help you understand what is inside (again, there are many sites that break down what is inside) http://www.novaccine.com/specific-vaccines/vaccine.asp?v_id=14

don't just go by a non-vaccine sites- the exact same info can be found on other sites-not to make you think this is some sort of non-vaccine thing

again- you can find this on OTHER sites as well - 

http://www.novaccine.com/vaccine-ingredients/    it's all about the ingredients!

&

#17 of 18 Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Thanks!!

#18 of 18 Old 08-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Any east coast reports of Cpox at all?  My children need to get it soon.  Can I catch it from a person who had shingles?  If so how?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page