Need Feedback on Mid Eastern PA Midwives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking for a midwife.  These are the ones I found that serve my area.  Have any of you had any experience with them?  I would love to hear.  And if any of you know of any other midwives in the  Mid Eastern PA area please share.  Thank you!

Jennifer McFarland, Albrightsville

http://www.mybirthbydesign.com/

Dhyana Heller, Tannersville

Harmony Birthing

Laurice Dunning, Allentown

The Midwives & Associates

http://www.valleymidwives.com/

Married to my soul mate and totally devoted to DD (6/08) and enjoying our 2 cats and many fish. Wishing for a "green" house in the country where we can raise more children!
#2 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM

I love Jen McFarland  :)  Her apprentice, Nicole, was at my last birth!

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#3 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

That's great!  Thank you!  I'm not pregnant yet but I would like to have all of my "ducks in a row"  before conceiving.  I had a regular OB/GYN for my DD and not one iota of her birth went right now that I look back on it.  I don't know if any midwives would even do it but my second baby would be a VBAC.

Married to my soul mate and totally devoted to DD (6/08) and enjoying our 2 cats and many fish. Wishing for a "green" house in the country where we can raise more children!
#4 of 13 Old 06-17-2011, 02:11 PM

My SIL used Laurice and loved her.   I have heard great things about Jen McFarland.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#5 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 PM

I am seeing Jen now. She is wonderful! I am going for a VBA2C and Jen is fine with it. I believe she semi-recently delivered a VBA7C!! Honestly, she's great - super sweet, calm, professional, knowledgeable, and very non-pushy. Nicole is very sweet as well (her apprentice).

#6 of 13 Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the replies.  Kateraide that gives me so much hope!  Best wishes to you for a happy and healthy pregnancy and delivery!

#7 of 13 Old 11-25-2011, 05:09 PM

I switched from Jen to Dhyana at 30 weeks, and so far, I could not be happier with the decision I made. Dhyana is warm and caring and has 30+ years experience and a wonderful CNM, Shelly, as her assistant. A close friend had a good birth experience with Jen (which is why I initially decided to go with Jen), but Jen was not a good fit for me. Throughout the pregnancy, minor things kept adding up and building more and more stress on me, and while Jen was surely not at fault, she did play a minor role in contributing to the stress. On a couple occasions, her personal life interfered with our appointments--once she had her apprentice (who *is* wonderful, but who is unfortunately leaving the practice in December) fill in for her because Jen was having marital problems, and on another occasion, she actually completely forgot to show up for a home visit. While I'm sure many women have had wonderful experiences with her, by 30 weeks, I did not feel confident having her as my midwife because she showed that she had too much going on in her life to be present for me throughout the rest of my pregnancy. With Dhyana, everything has been completely stress-free, and I look forward to her and Shelly being a part of the experience. Since switching only a few weeks ago, I've run into three different women who birthed with Dyhana (2 or 3 children with each of them) and they all had nothing but rave reviews. Like I said, Jen has been great for many women I'm sure, but as for me, I wish I would have gone to Dhyana from the start!

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#8 of 13 Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 AM

That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing this. I started seeing Dhyana in my second pregnancy. Ironically enough, Jen was assisting her at the time! I liked her all right, but she did seem a little hapless at times. No big deal though. That happens to everybody! That pregnancy actually resulted in multiples, at which point I was transferred out. Then, it eventually resulted in a loss. I am SO curious to know if the assisting CNM is Shelly Rosenburg (sp?)?? She used to work with an OB at Mercy Hospital in Scranton, Dr. Tedesco, and she was sooo lovely. Unfortunately though, she was no longer delivering. I just wondered if she decided to go the homebirth route again.

And by the way, I definitely see your point about Jen. I began to feel that way near the end of my pregnancy as well. Exactly as you said, I'm afraid her personal life seemed to be interfering with her work a bit too much. I'm happy to say though that my birth went beautifully and smoothly, and I really appreciated her calmness and optimism - my water was broken for more than 48 hours before I delivered and I was feeling pretty anxious and discouraged. But she was really helpful throughout the whole thing. And yes, Nicole will no longer be assisting her now as she and her family are relocating. I'm sad! Nicole is wonderful.

#9 of 13 Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 PM

I had a homebirth with Dhyana.  I cannot say enough great things about her.  I have recommended her to many other moms and have not heard any negative feedback from any of them.  Feel free to shoot me a PM with more specific questions. 

I have a friend who was seeing Laurice but switched to Dhyana late in the pregnancy due to some concerns.  I hope she sees this thread and can send you a message.

#10 of 13 Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM

I know this is a little off topic, but I wanted to post it here because it might be useful for the mamas reading this...do you have any recommendations for pediatricians in the Poconos/Lehigh Valley area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenEMT View Post

I had a homebirth with Dhyana.  I cannot say enough great things about her.  I have recommended her to many other moms and have not heard any negative feedback from any of them.  Feel free to shoot me a PM with more specific questions. 

I have a friend who was seeing Laurice but switched to Dhyana late in the pregnancy due to some concerns.  I hope she sees this thread and can send you a message.

First-time momma-to-be with my amazing man. Planning a homebirth and expecting a baby girl mid-January 2012. love.gif

#11 of 13 Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 PM

I just wanted to post an update since I've had my baby with Dhyana...

I can not say enough good things about her. She is an amazingly wonderful person with a true passion for what she does, and she does it well. If you want a homebirth midwife, do yourself a favor and go to her. If you want more details on my experience I'd be happy to share them.

KarenEMT likes this.

#12 of 13 Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

I have removed two posts from this thread. We do not host negative comments against practitioners in the forums. If you have a review to offer please post it to our Reviews section (link in navbar above) and be sure to follow the reviews guidelines in doing so. 

#13 of 13 Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM

I had a wonderful vbac in 09 with Jenn. Eent bqck to her with my recent baby, but ultimately decided to switch as I didnt have a peace...I don't know why. shrug.gif I had a c/s with Laurice when she was working at LHV. She was not a good fit for me and I wish I had realized that. I would never reccomend her for a home birth. Ever.

Hannah ... wife to Ryan ...Mommie to my girlies. RJ Dec '07 ~ AJ Aug '09~ PJ Jan '12

peace loving Friend ~ selective vax ~ sleep sharing~ gentle parenting~ doing what works for us and learning as we go!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page