Any help for a Mama who wants to hombirth in NEPA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-17-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I am about to start trying for a baby soon.  Due to a recent "accident" (said with love :) ) I may already be a few days preggers, it's too early to tell yet. 

Either way this little oops moment has gotten me to thinking it may be time to start looking into homebirthing in NEPA.  I'm located about 30 min's from Scranton, 30 min's from Tobyhanna, and 30 min's from Honesdale. 

I know nothing of homebirth in this area and have hospital birthed my previous two kids.  I have a few questions for those of you who know more about this then I do.

*I already have a few names of midwives but am looking to see if there are any more.  If you could tell me some of them that would be greatly appreciated.  Any experiences you may have had with them then please feel free to post or pm me. 

*Are there any doctors/hospital birthing midwives who are comfortable with shadow care that anyone knows about? I want shadow care mainly so that my ins. will pay for testing.  I also want it in case I need to transfer and then I would have an 'in' at the hospital.

*Also any specific information on Geisinger ins. or Aetna.  I currently have Geisinger but may have the opportunity to switch to Aetna in the near future.  Any ideas as to which is better.  (my guess is Aetna but not totally sure on that one)

I greatly appreciate any helpful comments you may have.  TIA :)  !!!

#2 of 4 Old 06-18-2011, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've heard multiple times that Aetna has a no home birth policy except in states that require such coverage by law.

Ah, here you go:

http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/300_399/0329.html

It might be possible to bill piecemeal and get partial coverage, but you'd need to speak to the midwife and see if she's billed successfully. Also, because CPMs are not licensed in PA, this can complicate all insurance billing.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#3 of 4 Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 PM

I am seeing Jennifer McFarland in Tobyhanna. I'm already 6-months along and so far, things have been great. I know Jen recommends/knows a doctor that is "homebirth-friendly", but he's in Towanda. It's a hike, depending on where you're at. I believe there is another midwife just starting out in the New York area (she serves the Scranton area, I think, so you may still be within her limits). I can only remember her first name - Lisa.

I don't really know of any others in the area. Larice Dunning is a CNM down in Lehigh Valley who is only doing homebirths now. I think she would travel to this area for an added fee. I only had a consult with her, and her price is definitely reasonable. She wouldn't take me on due to the fact that I'm a HBA2C though. My sister in-law had her first son with her - although she was delivering in-hospital (Lehigh Valley) at the time - and she really, really loved her.

Good luck with everything!

#4 of 4 Old 06-30-2011, 07:48 PM

Lisa Robertson.  She delivered DD-I loved her. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateraide View Post

I am seeing Jennifer McFarland in Tobyhanna. I'm already 6-months along and so far, things have been great. I know Jen recommends/knows a doctor that is "homebirth-friendly", but he's in Towanda. It's a hike, depending on where you're at. I believe there is another midwife just starting out in the New York area (she serves the Scranton area, I think, so you may still be within her limits). I can only remember her first name - Lisa.

I don't really know of any others in the area. Larice Dunning is a CNM down in Lehigh Valley who is only doing homebirths now. I think she would travel to this area for an added fee. I only had a consult with her, and her price is definitely reasonable. She wouldn't take me on due to the fact that I'm a HBA2C though. My sister in-law had her first son with her - although she was delivering in-hospital (Lehigh Valley) at the time - and she really, really loved her.

Good luck with everything!

Mom to Colin, born 1/30/09 and Allison, our HBAC baby born 1/19/11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page