anyone live in Spring City, Franconia, Phonenixville or Collegeville, PA?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

My husband and I are in the process of looking for somewhere new to live.  We have lived in Philly for our whole lives, we have lived in parts of the Northeast and I lived in Center CIty for a little bit.  It is time to move, we want better education choices for our children, better environment for them to grow and live.  Our neighborhood has been changing for 5 years and it is not for the better:(  We have 4 children and are expecting a fifth next month.  Our children are 11, 8, 6 and 2.  My Dh works in Montgoment County, near Collegeville, so that is why we are looking in the places I mentioned in the title.  If you live in these places, could you please tell me what you like about it and how you like the schools if you send your child/children to school?  Also, I would like to know if there are good food co-ops, access to other like-minded parents, etc??  Thanks if you have read all of this.  Take care!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-02-2011, 10:57 AM

I live in the general area. I'm not too familiar with Spring City, but Collegeville and Phoenixville are generally good places. Phoenixville has some dodgy areas, but they are working to change things around for the better. The traffic sucks. Phoenixville is very crunchy-friendly. Lots of farms around the area, plus a weekly Farmer's Market. Collegeville has a lot of farms - one is Longview Market (formerly Willow Creek Orchard), which is an organic farm and market open everyday except for in the winter. There are little local farmer's markets throughout the area - Lower Merion, Skippack and more. There are CSAs in the area. I have never been able to afford one so I don't know specifics. www.localharvest.com is a great site to help you locate local farms, farmers markets and CSAs.

We do really like the area. My husband and I grew up in Northeast Philly and I do miss Philly from time to time, but my parents live there so I still get to visit. I miss the accessibility of Philly....you could walk and take buses everywhere. There are some buses that run through Phoenixville and Collegeville, but it's not like the access in Philly.  Phoenixville has more in the way sidewalks and is easier to walk to stores. The area I live in isn't very pedestrian friendly, so that's frustrating. I hate having to drive 1 minute down the road to the store rather than walk. I really like the access to farms and farmer's markets. I find that there is a lot going on almost all the time, so family entertainment isn't an issue. My son will start Kindergarten this Fall and we're in a different school district than you would be in those towns, so I can't help in that area. There are a few good natural-friendly doctors in  the area as well as midwives, should you need one.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 PM

We live in Sellersville, which is about 10 minutes from Franconia.  It's a nice community, mostly rural-ish.  You won't have the amenities of a large city, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere!  But there are alot of farms and farmers markets (plenty of produce stands, fresh eggs/milk/meat from local farms.  The Souderton School District is a good one.  Most of the schools are very good (I subbed in the district elementary schools for awhile and have friends with kids in the district.  We're two minutes over the line into the next district.).  There are plenty of nice playgrounds and parks, but you will need to drive to them, as it really is a pretty rural area, for the most part.  I know there are CSAs nearby and I believe that there is a United Natural Foods (UNFI) co-op in Harleysville, which is 5-10 minutes from Franconia.

#4 of 4 Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!!  We are still looking, we did look at some homes in Douglasville and Gilbertsville but it is a little to far for me.  We are still rtrying to decide on location.  Thanks so much for your information, it does help!

Take care

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page