Homebirth midwife in Philadelphia--Kathy Hindle - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am currently signup to have my baby (guess date 1/10/12) at Bryn Mawr Birth Center but decided that I would rather have a homebirth. Today my husband and I met with Kathy Hindle of Midwifery Traditions. We really liked her! I can totally see her catching our baby. I just wanted to post here for the first time to ask other moms if they have homebirthed with Kathy and if they have any opinions or advice. We are strongly leaning towards it. :)

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#2 of 23 Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM

I'm due to have a homebirth with her any day now. This is my first birth with her. I used to see her a looong time ago when she worked for Valley Birthplace and loved her then. I've been going to her at her Midwifery Traditions practice for the last 3 years. I love her. She is very skilled, calm and kind. My best friend is a midwife and Kathy delivered two of her babies. I was present for the last birth and Kathy was AWESOME. I highly recommend her. If you google her or even just do a search on MDC you will see that she is very well-loved. She currently has an apprentice working with her - Allison - who we really like. Good luck!

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#3 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM

I've had 3 of my 4 kids with her.  She is wonderful.

#4 of 23 Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I had my two sons w/ her, both homebirths.  I can't speak highly enough of her.  It has been sad after I've delivered w/ her because I don't get to see her as often!  I can't imagine giving birth w/o her!

Yes, if you search through here, you will find lots of feedback on her.

Best wishes!

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#5 of 23 Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ds was a homebirth with Kathy, too.  No complaints:)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#6 of 23 Old 10-01-2011, 05:03 AM

Does anyone know if she has a website? My family and I are moving to the Lehigh Valley in the next month or two, and I am pregnant, looking to do a homebirth. How far outside of Philadelphia does she travel?
#7 of 23 Old 10-01-2011, 05:31 AM

AFAIK, she does not have a website.  ANd, I would think it would depend on where in the Lehigh Valley you'll be.  She lives in Bucks County so depending on where you are, it might not be that far.  I would suggest you call her office (215 249 9646).  Her office person is very nice (Denise, I think) & will help you w/ whatever she can & will either get the info & call you back or Kathy will call you.

Best wishes,

Sus

#8 of 23 Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

She mentioned the other day she does births in the Poconos so sounds like she travels pretty far. Definitely call her. She's great! :)

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#9 of 23 Old 10-27-2011, 07:44 AM

Loved Kathy Hindle. I had both of my kids at home and she delivered my daughter in Nov. 2008. She has a very laid back non invasive approach and put me completely at ease to be in her capable hands. I wouldn't hesitate to have her for any future children and heartily recommend her.

#10 of 23 Old 10-28-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

We decided to go with Kathy for our homebirth and have been so happy with the prenatal care I've gotten. I really like her personality and approach. It's nice to hear everyone's positive experiences with her. I am 30 weeks along and really excited for the big day!

#11 of 23 Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Hi!!!

I was about to post a question to the forum, since I'm looking for a midwife in the Philadelphia area and i stumbled upon this one. Does any of you know if Kathy will deliver twins?

Thanks!!

A.

#12 of 23 Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM

HippieIncognito, any updates? How has everything gone? I am considering a homebirth, and she sounds highly recommended.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#13 of 23 Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anto View Post

Hi!!!

I was about to post a question to the forum, since I'm looking for a midwife in the Philadelphia area and i stumbled upon this one. Does any of you know if Kathy will deliver twins?

Thanks!!

A.

I've never had twins so I'm not sure.  I'd say call her office to find out the protocol.  I'm thinking perhaps in the hospital (Montgomery in Norristown)?  Her office number is 215 249 9646.  I've been a happy patient of hers for 7+ years!

Best wishes,

Sus

#14 of 23 Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Everything about my daughter's birth was awesome. I felt such a strong bond with Kathy after her birth. She sat in bed with me, fed me food, said how beautiful and perfect my baby was. She did a thorough newborn exam, helped me with breastfeeding, and just felt really at home when she came to visit the days following. She would call and text me too just to see how life as a new mother was going. I love her! I really trusted her to keep me and baby safe and she really trusted me to birth my baby. 

Here is my birth story!

http://www.birthstoriesondemand.com/home-birth-stories/2012/2/15/alishas-birth-of-evie-ryan.html

#15 of 23 Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 AM

I have heard such amazing things about Kathy Hindle, here and from a good friend who had her home birth both her kids.  This is my first pregnancy and I would love to have her, unfortunetly she is already full for May births.  Does anyone know anyone other midwives in the area that do homebirths?  We toured the the birthing center in Bryn Mawr last night.  It was a great experience, love their philosophy and plan of care, it's just a far drive and I would love to have that care in the comfort of my own home.  We live in Doylestown.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

#16 of 23 Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisbonrd View Post

I have heard such amazing things about Kathy Hindle, here and from a good friend who had her home birth both her kids.  This is my first pregnancy and I would love to have her, unfortunetly she is already full for May births.  Does anyone know anyone other midwives in the area that do homebirths?  We toured the the birthing center in Bryn Mawr last night.  It was a great experience, love their philosophy and plan of care, it's just a far drive and I would love to have that care in the comfort of my own home.  We live in Doylestown.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

There's Barbara D'Mato (I think that's her last name) at the Valley Birth Center or Place in Huntingdon Valley.  She does births there, homebirths, I think & births at Montgomery Hospital.  I know folks who love her & ones who do not.  

There's a CPM who's name is Kate & her last name used to be Fowley.  It's Aseron now.  NOt sure of her website or info.  I don't know her but have spoken to her about other matters & know of her.  I believe I know of a woman who birthed w/ her & loved her.  Oh, I think I do know someone who used her & has loved her.  Just remembered.  Not friends w/ the woman who used her though.

I don't know this midwife, but she's on a local yahoo group I'm on: Christy Santoro, CPM

Traditional Midwife
Motherland Midwifery
215-HM-BIRTH (462-4784)
215-462-4785 fax
christy@...

Best wishes,
Sus

ETA - I do not recommend Doylestown Midwifery.  I used them for my first birth & decided to go elsewhere after that.  I can give you more info but I'd would not recommend them.

#17 of 23 Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

There's Barbara D'Mato (I think that's her last name) at the Valley Birth Center or Place in Huntingdon Valley.  She does births there, homebirths, I think & births at Montgomery Hospital.  I know folks who love her & ones who do not.  

I think it's D'Amato. She is who my sister and I were trying to have for our homebirths. We saw her for check-ups but both of us ended up with a different midwife for the actual births. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#18 of 23 Old 12-30-2012, 12:55 AM

Christy is wonderful!! She and Karen Webster were my midwives for my last birth #5. She is 7 yrs old now <3 

Kathy Hindle was my midwife for babies #2, 3 and 4!! We would have used her for baby #5 but I needed a LM and she became a CNM. I was so happy to see her in your birth story. If anyone sees her tell her Cindy and Ken said hi <3

#19 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 PM

After reading this and chatting with a friend IRL who  used Kathy, I am feeling sad that I'm not using her.  I went to see her for my 1st two appointments and loved everything about her,but since I am  a VBAC can only use a CNM in the hospital, which she would have totally done for me ,but I got the feeling that she really is not comfortable in the hospital (what HB mw likes hospitals?)....I didn't want to have the potential situation of a hospital staff who didn't really know her or things not going smoothly because of her lack of presence there (DH is a doctor and knows how it works in the hospitals, you gotta be on as good 'terms as possible with the hospital staff if you want good treatment)...so we opted instead for Ronni Rothman who is solely a hospital based MW.

very different vibe than what I'm used to, and of course now that I learn 'that  30% of her patients use epidurals, it is like someone is hanging a big bag of candy in front of me even though I am fully aware of the domino/cascade effect of interventions (DC #'s 1 and 2 were HBs, DC #3 was an attempted HB ending in c-section.  I am *that* person).

Alas, I am actually feeling very happy and confident that Ronni is my MW especially with a V-Bac and being in a new hospital , ]the staff all know who she is, and in a certain way I am looking forward to a less fully-hands on approach that my loving midwives have used in the past...although I have to make sure that Ronni can offer good accupressure otherwise I need to hire a doula to alleviate my back pain.  

THen again , any VBac in our area is CFM so that's gonna really cramp my style!

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#20 of 23 Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM

Does anyone know of a VBAC home birth midwife closer to Allentown?
#21 of 23 Old 06-18-2013, 03:21 PM

Kathy will deliver twins...well at least she did many years ago down the street from my house!
#22 of 23 Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamac27 View Post

Kathy will deliver twins...well at least she did many years ago down the street from my house!

Maybe at one time she did and/or she did for existing clients?  I've a friend now who is carrying surrogate twins & I believe she checked w/ Kathy & she said no.  I guess it couldn't hurt to call though.

Sus

#23 of 23 Old 07-06-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

Maybe at one time she did and/or she did for existing clients?  I've a friend now who is carrying surrogate twins & I believe she checked w/ Kathy & she said no.  I guess it couldn't hurt to call though.

Sus

Yeah I don't believe she does. I am not having twins but I did check with her at the beginning of my pregnancy (I used her before I decided to switch) and she said that she doesn't. No twins, no breech, and no past 42 were her rules, I believe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page